Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Elko vs Wrecking Crew

5,766 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Frank Grimes
Fishwrangler11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This season clearly there is much to be seen, BUT I did want to take a moment to reflect on the past (and maybe peer into the future) by asking if everyone really does think the Wrecking Crew defenses of the 90s were better than that of Elko's his final 2 seasons in Aggieland? It may be sacrilege to say, but I kind of think they were. We obviously know the story of the 2020 team, but honestly, with our putrid offense in 2021, do we even get to 6 wins without Elko's defense? Additionally, looking at the caliber of offenses now, I think the quality of those Elko defenses was night and day better.

Not saying this to rag on the traditional Wrecking Crew as much as to point out how much we should appreciate what we had and hope to have again very soon.
Rec
AG
The Wrecking Crew had a remarkably weak strength of schedule…. We will never have it that easy, but the Elko Crew was pretty good before and has much to promise for the future.
greg.w.h
AG
The 2020 all-SEC season was arguably his best showing on defense and likely our most exciting schedule (ignoring the missed game against Ole Miss. i can't think of an overall season with that stoutness of opponents in spite being f it being the kind of year our fans downplay. But was it predicated on defense the way Slocum's were? I'd have to argue it wasn't. But we were playing talent like we never saw in the SWC or Big 12.

After the selection for the four CFP teams Elko said this specifically about ESPN's defense of the committee(I'll note it might not have been just on that, but if I recall correctly it was…)

alvtimes
The Wrecking Crew is 50yrs + now….. time for a new moniker?????
TheWoodsAg
AG
No, WC rules. Just need to live up to it.
Aggie Dad 26
TheWoodsAg said:

No, WC rules. Just need to live up to it.

And we could if Coach Elko pours himself into the defense. I'm hoping he allows the OC to fully control the offense in every way.
TxAg76
AG
The game is way different now, including the offense dynamics as well as the rules and the officiating relative to what's considered a defense penalty.

You probably won't see the same things by way of physicality and intimidation.
But you can still measure the productivity by way of their effectiveness and scoring D rankings.
Meximan
The Crew wasn't all about stats. It could be summed up as an attitude: they would hit you so hard you coughed blood up, then knock you down again for getting blood on their uniform. They had the attitude and intimidation that wouldn't be seen again until the 2000 Ravens, and hadn't been seen since the '85 Bears. It was sustained performance and aggression, the kind where teams legitimately did not want to play the Aggies (especially at Kyle), and if they did, they immediately regretted it. The Nebraska Blackshirts were good... but they weren't Wrecking Crew terrifying.

When you played the Crew, you got this all day long:

You literally cannot do that anymore or the player is ejected for targeting, or at best flagged for unnecessary roughness. The rules have changed too much and defenses can't simply tee off on every shot, or fling QBs down the way they used to. There will never be another Wrecking Crew because the rules just don't allow it.

His defenses, if they're stout enough, could usher in a newer, different kind of moniker if they can sustain success for more than a couple years. The Crew is gone but a new one can take its place.
rootube
AG
Fishwrangler11 said:

This season clearly there is much to be seen, BUT I did want to take a moment to reflect on the past (and maybe peer into the future) by asking if everyone really does think the Wrecking Crew defenses of the 90s were better than that of Elko's his final 2 seasons in Aggieland? It may be sacrilege to say, but I kind of think they were. We obviously know the story of the 2020 team, but honestly, with our putrid offense in 2021, do we even get to 6 wins without Elko's defense? Additionally, looking at the caliber of offenses now, I think the quality of those Elko defenses was night and day better.

Not saying this to rag on the traditional Wrecking Crew as much as to point out how much we should appreciate what we had and hope to have again very soon.

There's a lot of video on YouTube. Go look for yourself, but the correct answer is that the old school WC was the best.
NewEra2023
AG
greg.w.h said:

The 2020 all-SEC season was arguably his best showing on defense and likely our most exciting schedule

Slightly concerning. Considering what a Sark offense did to him. Regardless, I think he now has talent closer to what it takes to counter some of that.
ABATTBQ87
AG
alvtimes said:

Less than 40 years old
JMR
S
Meximan said:

The Crew wasn't all about stats. It could be summed up as an attitude: they would hit you so hard you coughed blood up, then knock you down again for getting blood on their uniform. They had the attitude and intimidation that wouldn't be seen again until the 2000 Ravens, and hadn't been seen since the '85 Bears. It was sustained performance and aggression, the kind where teams legitimately did not want to play the Aggies (especially at Kyle), and if they did, they immediately regretted it. The Nebraska Blackshirts were good... but they weren't Wrecking Crew terrifying.

When you played the Crew, you got this all day long:

You literally cannot do that anymore or the player is ejected for targeting, or at best flagged for unnecessary roughness. The rules have changed too much and defenses can't simply tee off on every shot, or fling QBs down the way they used to. There will never be another Wrecking Crew because the rules just don't allow it.

His defenses, if they're stout enough, could usher in a newer, different kind of moniker if they can sustain success for more than a couple years. The Crew is gone but a new one can take its place.

Well said!

The conference was weak, but there were some strong opponents along the way. How many heisman winners and finalists did the WC conquer with prejudice? Even in the bowl losses the defense left their mark.
Year after year, the next man in line filled the open spots and the dominance continued.

The WC was head and shoulders beyond anything we have seen in maroon and white since RC.

Today's rules make it likely an impossibility to recreate a defense in that image.
Can a defense be dominant in today's game? When loaded with NFL caliber talent... yes. See Bama and UGA in recent years.

Under RC, the NFL was full of Aggies. There was a significant run of time where Nebraska, Miami, and Texas A&M were always the top 3 schools with players in the NFL.

To OP, we do not have the sheer talent/ speed on defense to dominate on the level of the WC. However, we may have the guy who can get us there... time will tell.
TyperWoods
alvtimes said:

Going on 40 years. NOT 50+
Emilio Fantastico
AG
NewEra2023 said:

greg.w.h said:

The 2020 all-SEC season was arguably his best showing on defense and likely our most exciting schedule

Slightly concerning. Considering what a Sark offense did to him. Regardless, I think he now has talent closer to what it takes to counter some of that.

Second game of the season with a true freshman at CB. Also tied for lowest point total Bama scored that year.

But yeah, go on and bag on that defense
Fishwrangler11
AG
Happy to let the tape do the talking. Any games you'd point me to in particular as "vintage" WC?
The Lost
TyperWoods said:

alvtimes said:

I think he meant the players ages… which is true, Coryatt is 53.
rootube
AG
Fishwrangler11 said:

Happy to let the tape do the talking. Any games you'd point me to in particular as "vintage" WC?
'85-91 were amazing. But if you want to get a head start on the tu game check this one out.

Aggie Dad 26
The Lost said:

TyperWoods said:

alvtimes said:

You mean Buckley
Decay
AG
Who cares how it happens. If we play good defense and the team gets stops and wins games, we're gonna chant WC.

We did it in 1990, we did it in 2000, we did it in 2010, we did it in 2020.
ahlongslide
AG
Decay said:

Who cares how it happens. If we play good defense and the team gets stops and wins games, we're gonna chant WC.

We did it in 1990, we did it in 2000, we did it in 2010, we did it in 2020.

2030 is gonna be awesome
TxAg76
AG
Aggie Dad 26 said:

The Lost said:

TyperWoods said:

alvtimes said:

You mean Buckley

No, Coryatt was certainly on the team.
He just didn't make "the hit"
Divining Rod
see below
Divining Rod
Quote:

.....by asking if everyone really does think the Wrecking Crew defenses of the 90s were better than that of Elko's his final 2 seasons in Aggieland? It may be sacrilege to say, but I kind of think they were.

So you argue that Elko's defenses were better, but you state you believe the WC defenses were better. it's not sacrilege to believe WC was better.

For the record, the WC was better because it could literally shut down the best offenses in the country, even when it was hamstrung with one of the worst offenses.
We saw that when it played the top teams outside of the SWC.

The 2020 defense was good, and it benefitted from a game plan of running the clock down, limiting offensive possessions of the opponent.

The WC LITERALLY often became our best chance to score- either directly or by creating a deep turnover.

If you witnessed it in person, you would understand the difference.

And you cant compare personnel to personnel iin different eras. that's unfair, pointless, and uninteresting. when arguing who was better, you look at the game performance vs the opponents at that time.

There's a reason the WC became something of a national phenom, akin to the Blackshirts of Nebraska in their day, or the Steel Curtain of the Steelers, or the Oakland Raiders nastiness.
beerad12man
AG
Comparatively speaking, the 2021 defense was every bit as good and likely better than a few wrecking crew defenses. Again, when you compare nationally factoring in caliber of offense.

It was one of only a handful of "national championship" caliber defenses. There's a graph confident ag posts on the other board that clearly shows this. It was a NC defense, just like the crew was

Was it as good as the absolute top WC defense? Probably not. But most of them? Absolutely.
Frank Grimes
AG
TxAg76 said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

The Lost said:

TyperWoods said:

alvtimes said:

You mean Buckley

No, Coryatt was certainly on the team.
He just didn't make "the hit"
Please let this die.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.