Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Is anyone actually excited about this offense?

16,827 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by TruTex
Recentagdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Performance of the offense boils down to how the offensive line performs. If they have great improvement, then the offense will be fine. The other positions on offense are talented. I am much more excited about the defense. From the practices and scrimmages I saw, the defense was much improved and especially the secondary was night and day better.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Recentagdoc said:

Performance of the offense boils down to how the offensive line performs. If they have great improvement, then the offense will be fine. The other positions on offense are talented. I am much more excited about the defense. From the practices and scrimmages I saw, the defense was much improved and especially the secondary was night and day better.
The three biggest changes we needed on defense were more talent at corner and much better technique coaching and along the DL a change in scheme to a one gap get up field. The previous scheme did not fit our DL at all and the DB coaching was the worst I have seen since Fran.
halfastros81
AG
We have to get better on the OL to be successful on offense . There is no doubt about that . I think the chances of that are very high given that our coaching of that position group was absolutely horrific. Tailoring the scheme to strengths and weaknesses is also a big part of it . We will also have to do that imo because I don't think we are blessed with a bunch of mashers . Having said that they can be so much better than what they showed the past 2 seasons.
agforlife97
AG
I was always impressed with how KSU could move the ball on Texas when they played. Had good OL play too, and you can see that's a point of emphasis so far. This A&M team is expected to have a really good defense, so playing good defense and running the ball will probably be our formula.
StinkyPinky
AG
No offense looks the same with different players. Don't care about what it looks like, only care that we are able to be flexible and adjust to what is happening on the other side at the time. Ability to adjust is the most important part of an offensive design (read=coach).
Ag1188
AG
Definitely would've been nice to hire an OC with a background with some pass-savant playcaller/coordinator in the past, and Klein's lack of that and lack of pass-production is why we are recruiting WR poorly.

I'm sure one can hire analysts who can assist in the passing game though, so let's be patient and see if Klein and Elko can get it done on that side of the ball. Hopefully just a 2-year leash on Klein though, if the OL isn't the big problem again.
beerad12man
AG
texag101 said:

Charlie Murphy said:

I like how you condescendingly put the word actually In the title. Better yet you make some generic assumptions about Kelins offense and why it won't work in the SEC.

Besides general negativity, what's the purpose of your post?
Sunshine pumper is offended by an OP lacking sufficient sunshine. Shocker.
No, but I am offended by a terrible post by the OP with zero context, understanding, or even actual data / stats. The only actual number he lists is 75%, which is WAY OFF.

Other than that, nothing in his post breaks anything down at any level of reasonable discussion.

Klein was top 10 in offensive efficiency with arguably about top 75 talent. Klein runs a very balanced offense. We'll see how it translates here, but there's more reason for optimism than negativity at this time imho. The only real unknown is that Klein didn't put up elite passing stats, and in today's game, you need to do that to break through and win championships. From an efficiency standpoint and putting us in position to win 9-10 games a year, I don't see much in question.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
The lack of passing at K-State under Klien had more to do with talent, when they had good WRs the QB wasnt very accurate and when they had a good QB the WRs were rough. That said, I do not think the QB last year Howard? was very good, not sure he will do much at whichever big program he landed at. K-State has run a variation of zone read, pound the rock, and layered passing concepts for 25 or 30 years. It works. I expect less zone read here but that offense loves to attack vertically on the outside which naturally opens up shorter throws and helps the run game. The whole point is to keep the defense on its heels and off balance, especially with the run blocking scheme. Our OL has the talent and is a good fit for this scheme that needs more guards than tackles which we have a lot of.
rsf0626
How about we give him some time before we run him out of town.

Kstate did average 38ppg last year
rsf0626
rgag12
AG
Meximan said:

K State didn't have a world class QB

A&M has three

K State had an O Line

A&M doesn't

OP is comparing an apple to an apricot

Yea their QB was so bad that Ohio State is going to pay him millions to be their starting QB this year on a team expected to make the playoffs and be in the natty hunt
Divining Rod
His offense requires good OL play????

WTF is wrong with this man and how did he become our OC?

OTOH, I guess we coulda said that about Fisher too (thank you 2020 OL!) I really am taking a wait-and-see attitude on Klein. Mostly because I believe in Elkin and know he won't tolerate mediocrity the way Mr. Fisher did.
SA-AG72
AG
Divining Rod said:

His offense requires good OL play????

WTF is wrong with this man and how did he become our OC?

OTOH, I guess we coulda said that about Fisher too (thank you 2020 OL!) I really am taking a wait-and-see attitude on Klein. Mostly because I believe in Elkin and know he won't tolerate mediocrity the way Mr. Fisher did.

Elkin and Mr. Fisher? LOL!
Bill Superman
AG
He's only the hottest up and coming OC in the game who we were lucky to have lured him from his Alma mater who has proven his ability to maximize his players' talents and out-scheme the opposition that has more talent on hand.

But sure, let's not be excited about the best OC we've hired on paper since we brought home the heisman trophy.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
rgag12 said:

Meximan said:

A&M has three

K State had an O Line

A&M doesn't

Yea their QB was so bad that Ohio State is going to pay him millions to be their starting QB this year on a team expected to make the playoffs and be in the natty hunt
Ohio State and their fans ran off an all conference caliber QB after a really good 2023 season and the back ups transferred too, then Ohio State left at the altar by several big name transfers leading to them "settling" for the K-State kid. He is a good QB but not anything special although he can move well which fits Ohio State. Fact is with the talent Ohio State has they just need a game manager.
TX_Aggie37
AG
I'm excited if for no other reason than it'll be something different than the square peg, round hole game we've been playing.
halfastros81
AG
They just needed to execute .
dreyOO
KSU's offense has largely been more explosive than ours over the last few decades. Some of that is the ****ty big 12 defenses. But a lot of that is the design imo that leads to long, explosive plays.

So yeah, I'm excited by the possibilities. I just hope our OL can step up quickly.
well_endowed_ag
No, there's nothing to be excited about IMO. We don't have the offensive skill talent or OL talent of a team like Alabama where we can rip up defenses with better players. I fully expect a clunky offense that tries more innovative things than Jimbo's did and sometimes breaks a big play, but still punts too much.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
well_endowed_ag said:

No, there's nothing to be excited about IMO. We don't have the offensive skill talent or OL talent of a team like Alabama where we can rip up defenses with better players. I fully expect a clunky offense that tries more innovative things than Jimbo's did and sometimes breaks a big plays, but still punts too much.
The Alabama offense that averaged 55 yards less per game than K-State in 2023? That offense?
rgag12
AG
I expect a return to the kind of offense we had when Jimbo first got here, (and Elko was on staff).

Grind, grind, grind. Try to score on long drives, kill clock, flip the field, keep defense fresh, and trying to win low scoring games.

Unless we are good at getting big chunk runs or are good at getting the 20 yard catch from the TE down the middle, I don't expect us to be very explosive.
well_endowed_ag
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

well_endowed_ag said:

No, there's nothing to be excited about IMO. We don't have the offensive skill talent or OL talent of a team like Alabama where we can rip up defenses with better players. I fully expect a clunky offense that tries more innovative things than Jimbo's did and sometimes breaks a big plays, but still punts too much.
The Alabama offense that averaged 55 yards less per game than K-State in 2023? That offense?

No, I'm referring to Alabama's offense over the last 10 years on average, which has been excellent even against the best defenses in college football. I don't really care about your cherry-picked stat from one season, which by the way involved K State playing against such vaunted in-conference defenses as Kansas, Gaylor, Tceh, Iowa State, Houston, and UCF.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
well_endowed_ag said:

VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

well_endowed_ag said:

No, I'm referring to Alabama's offense over the last 10 years on average, which has been excellent even against the best defenses in college football. I don't really care about your cherry-picked stat from one season, which by the way involved K State playing against such vaunted in-conference defenses as Kansas, Gaylor, Tceh, Iowa State, Houston, and UCF.
I get your point however I think texags needs to stop assuming we need 3 first rounders at WR and have an offense that looks like 2019 LSU or 2020 Bama to win. Bama grinded it out up until 2018, check the stats.
Control the LOS, keep the defense off balance, do the little things like the catch the ball and get vertical as an RB, and this team can make the playoffs. We are starved for good offense because we have had such poor line play, absurdly poor QB play (2021 and most of 2022), and the worst play design and play calling I have seen since Fran. This leads to our fans believing we have no shot at winning unless we look like a video game.
vander54
S
We have a ton of talent on offense and OL. Coaching and play calling has been pathetic. That should change so I'm excited.
World's worst proofreader
TX_Aggie37
AG
Trying to compare us to 2019 LSU, or the 2018-2022 Bama teams is a futile exercise. We don't have that level of talent and depth of talent, but only one or two schools in the country do in any given year. If that is our benchmark, then we are setting ourselves up for perpetual disappointment.

In being realistic, I do think the offense will be the limiting factor of this team, but I don't think we need to be the top offense in the country to have success. The difference will be if we can sustain drives and go get points when we need them, and can we recover from a negative play. Under Jimbo, it felt like if we had a false start, hold, or TFL then we might as well punt.

Will we win a championship? Probably not. But neither will 130 other schools. Maybe we get lucky when we need to and make magic happen.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
TX_Aggie37 said:

Trying to compare us to 2019 LSU, or the 2018-2022 Bama teams is a futile exercise. We don't have that level of talent and depth of talent, but only one or two schools in the country do in any given year. If that is our benchmark, then we are setting ourselves up for perpetual disappointment.

In being realistic, I do think the offense will be the limiting factor of this team, but I don't think we need to be the top offense in the country to have success. The difference will be if we can sustain drives and go get points when we need them, and can we recover from a negative play. Under Jimbo, it felt like if we had a false start, hold, or TFL then we might as well punt.

Will we win a championship? Probably not. But neither will 130 other schools. Maybe we get lucky when we need to and make magic happen.
Great post. Very unlikely we win a championship. But we have the roster and the schedule to make the playoffs which is a big deal. Cant win a championship if you cant even make the dance. I think a lot of people are forgetting or dont realize this team has been a few plays away from 10-2 for 3 straight years. That means we have talent, we just didnt have coaching and the details to win.
Captain Awesome
The transitive property takes at least 3 years to take effect in college football. It took Dimbo 4 years? to make our offense the pedestrian mirror of FSU.
Jesus loves tacos!
sharpdressedman
Too soon to guess. The OL is an uncertainty, and CW has a foot that remains questionable. We'll know after three games.
Buck Turgidson
Meximan said:

A&M has three

K State had an O Line

A&M doesn't

Sounds like we'll quickly have three injured QBs then. WTF have we been doing to rebuild the O line?
TER_2015
Let's just bring back the triple option days and pray for a miracle.
merch
I'm excited to see our QB back. Not sure who he is going to throw to but perhaps he can make those guys better. I'm more interested to see our D…
Nothing looks more foolish than tradition to those who have none.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
merch said:

I'm excited to see our QB back. Not sure who he is going to throw to but perhaps he can make those guys better. I'm more interested to see our D…
We have talented WRs that are good enough to win any game on our schedule. We dont have enough burners but few teams do.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Aggie Class of 2026 said:

I'm not falling for it till the W's come against quality opponents
So September 1st after the Ags take down the Irish.
Little Rock Ag
AG
The one thing I am confident is that our offense will be underwhelming. It always is.
bhpoling25
AG
Brother given the state of our offense for the last couple years we really don't have the right to complain about something being underwhelming. With everyone healthy and a non-geriatric behind the wheel we're almost guaranteed better offensive production.
davido
AG
Ag1188 said:

Definitely would've been nice to hire an OC with a background with some pass-savant playcaller/coordinator in the past, and Klein's lack of that and lack of pass-production is why we are recruiting WR poorly.

I was curious about that. I keep seeing announcements on great looking defensive players but not much on the offensive side except (IIRC) the QB. I'm probably missing a few others also, but how are we doing for recruiting on offense?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.