Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Is anyone actually excited about this offense?

13,544 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by True Texan
Fishwrangler11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been watching some K-State games in this lame duck time of year to get a feel for how our offense might look next year under Klein and gotta say I'm really underwhelmed. Some observations:

- Great running scheme BUT very dependent upon good o-line play
- It feels like Klein runs on 75% of their plays, which just isn't going to cut it in the modern SEC
- Passing schemes were terrible and TE centric. Rarely Klein seems to have a scheme that gets his players open and is depending on his players to "make a play". The offense just seems out of sorts when it is forced to pass
- Be prepared for some beat up QBs with how much he likes to QB run
- It is faster tempo, but it doesn't seem like they do it in a strategic way like Kliff would

We obviously have a lot better players than K-State, so maybe we have better execution/production. But for everyone who thinks we're going to have this "explosive" or "innovative" offense compared to what we've had, prepared to be disappointed.

Hopefully, Connor bails him out.
Sq 17
Can't be worse than the Jimbo offense
ArlingtonAg2015
AG
Whoop
greg.w.h
AG
You have to open the box to see if the cat lives or does…
Aggie Dad 26
I'm not falling for it till the W's come against quality opponents
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Old OC played QB at samford last century. New OC almost won the Heisman this century.

I like the offense and haven't even seen it yet.
JohnLA762
AG
How does one wrangle fish exactly?

B-1 83
AG
JohnLA762 said:

How does one wrangle fish exactly?

I don't know for sure, but I do know a grown man obsessing about a new college OC's offense in June needs to do more of it.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
AggieDub04
AG
K-States run/pass distribution last year almost exactly matched Ole Miss, and they did pretty well offensively and they don't have world beaters across the Oline.

The offensive line looks good in the offense because they're put in a position to succeed by scheme and good play calling. Time will tell how it performs but what will happen far less often is whiffing on blocks because we're out of position or processing more information than an AI program on a simple pass play.
TxAg82
AG
The cool thing about stats is you don't have to "feel" them. You can look them up. They ran the ball 54% of the time not 75%.

I'm also pretty sure every good run offense is dependent on good O-line play.
BCR
His running games depends on the OL blocking. Go figure.
Charlie Murphy
I like how you condescendingly put the word actually In the title. Better yet you make some generic assumptions about Kelins offense and why it won't work in the SEC.

Besides general negativity, what's the purpose of your post?
Welcome to the China Club

"Here's the pitch...POPPED it up! Oh man, that wouldn't be a home run in a phone booth."
-Harry Carey
texag101
Charlie Murphy said:

I like how you condescendingly put the word actually In the title. Better yet you make some generic assumptions about Kelins offense and why it won't work in the SEC.

Besides general negativity, what's the purpose of your post?
Sunshine pumper is offended by an OP lacking sufficient sunshine. Shocker.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
It is a good scheme that fits our personnel well actually. The biggest reason why K-State struggled passing was inconsistent QB play going back decades. Despite that, they have had productive WR play. Running game scheme is legit and will do well here. Last year they went back n forth between an injured mediocre passer in Howard and a freshman QB that runs a 4.3 forty, of course their passing numbers were down.
halfastros81
AG
kst has been really good with getting the most out of what they have and this continued with Klein as OC. He was highly sought after by some really good programs and I am going to give Elko the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.
g1gg3m
AG
At least OP has an Ag tag?
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”

-John Wayne
Meximan
K State didn't have a world class QB

A&M has three

K State had an O Line

A&M doesn't

OP is comparing an apple to an apricot
Duckhook
AG
Fishwrangler11 said:

We obviously have a lot better players than K-State, so maybe we have better execution/production.

"Just have to execute better"

Oh, Lord.
TX_Aggie37
AG
Fishwrangler11 said:

I've been watching some K-State games in this lame duck time of year to get a feel for how our offense might look next year under Klein and gotta say I'm really underwhelmed. Some observations:

- Great running scheme BUT very dependent upon good o-line play
- It feels like Klein runs on 75% of their plays, which just isn't going to cut it in the modern SEC
- Passing schemes were terrible and TE centric. Rarely Klein seems to have a scheme that gets his players open and is depending on his players to "make a play". The offense just seems out of sorts when it is forced to pass
- Be prepared for some beat up QBs with how much he likes to QB run
- It is faster tempo, but it doesn't seem like they do it in a strategic way like Kliff would

We obviously have a lot better players than K-State, so maybe we have better execution/production. But for everyone who thinks we're going to have this "explosive" or "innovative" offense compared to what we've had, prepared to be disappointed.

Hopefully, Connor bails him out.

What if I told you all run game is dependent on good OL play?
WC94
AG
Can't spell Troll without roll.
bigdaddygriffin
Any OC worth his salt is going to find ways to get the ball to his best play makers in ways that expose the defense, period.... That may or may not look like what it did at K State. Any OC worth his salt is also going to try and stay as balanced as possible between Run/Pass/RPO play calls, and try and expose the weak points of the Defensive scheme of that weeks opponent...That also may or may not look like what it did in the Big 12 vs the SEC depending on the opponent of the week.

To wrap it all up, he was able to do those things and be successful in the Big 12 on a consistent basis, only time will tell if he is able to do the same thing in a tougher defensive league...
Aggie Dad 26
Meximan said:

K State didn't have a world class QB

A&M has three

K State had an O Line

A&M doesn't

OP is comparing an apple to an apricot

Whooaaa
Charlie Murphy
g1gg3m said:

At least OP has an Ag tag?

Busted. I'm a sip who's been on here for 15 years calling out self loathing Aggies who are complaining about an OC who has been on campus for ~4 months.
Welcome to the China Club

"Here's the pitch...POPPED it up! Oh man, that wouldn't be a home run in a phone booth."
-Harry Carey
ashley
Who said we were gonna run the K State offense?
hunter2012
AG
Say what you will about Klein's Offense, but kstate had the best red zone offense in the country last year. Get them to the 20 and they will get points.
vander54
S
Klein adapts his offense to his player. K-state had an absolutely horrendous group of WR.
World's worst proofreader
OrygunAg
AG
Run oriented schemes do require smart, athletic lineman. They can also protect your qb, devour the clock and set up big pass plays. Generally just wear down defenses. This assumes tou have an offensive coordinator that can actually play call.
Triple-T
AG
So we won't be running the Smoke Draw anymore?
Azeew
TxAg82 said:

The cool thing about stats is you don't have to "feel" them. You can look them up. They ran the ball 54% of the time not 75%.

LOL. Head shot
_mpaul
AG
TxAg82 said:

To take it a step further, I'm pretty sure every good team is dependent on good OL play.
The Agly Duckling
BCR said:

His running games depends on the OL blocking. Go figure.

True. A good play caller can run the ball even with no Offensive Line! Just stay "one step ahead!" Out-think 'em!
agchugger
AG
It worked in the pass happy B12 but won't work in the SEC?? You still need to run the ball effectively to win games. And every offense needs good OL play. Thats pretty obvious.
NyAggie
AG
_mpaul said:

TxAg82 said:

To take it a step further, I'm pretty sure every good team is dependent on good OL play.

Absolutely

No teams win anything of consequence without good oline play
fieldtrailer
AG
It won't matter what scheme we run until we fix the oline. EOT.
ccatag
AG
Triple-T said:

So we won't be running the Smoke Draw anymore?
Smoke draws no, bubble screens yes.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.