Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

TU game on Thanksgiving question

15,811 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by AginKS
The Agly Duckling
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The ratings tanked when the NFL put a game on at the same time, starting back when we were in the Big 12.

If we want a national audience for the game, better to put it somewhere else.

Some of us were calling for that change even back then.
bberry72
AG
Thanksgiving on Thursday with family and Aggie football on Sat.
Best of both worlds.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
aeon-ag said:

boozer93 said:

LB12Diamond said:

Better question. Why play it that day??

Things are a lot different than 30 years ago when it made sense.

I kind of like the tradition of playing on thanksgiving. Not arguing but what has changed in last 30 years? I still hate those mfers.
So do I. Only cowards don't want to play them, especially on Thanksgiving day
I guarantee there is no one here scared to play those clowns
#FJB
LB12Diamond
AG
That cowards response kind of shows the mentality of ones that thinks it's a good idea. Emotionally have never matured.
kbarj
AG
I don't care for making the game against the Horns our big game. Over the last 50 years, I've been told by so many t-sips that the Ags are not their rivals, the only game that can make their season is the OU game, etc. That gets old.

Pick a spot on the schedule and play. I like the early season option. If it develops into a major two-way rivalry game, great. But that won't happen until we become a legitimate top tier program.
Bill '77
lagoag
Play tu early September or October but the last game of the year should be lsu. As it has been for the last 12 years.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Play them the week before or after their ou game
TXAGBQ76
AG
You know you won the discussions when someone resorts to name calling, they have nothing else…
Old Tom Morris
Rectitude said:

Kellso said:

Its time for the family to be back together. I look forward to watching A&M compete with UT on Thanksgiving night once again.

Does anyone remember the Leeland McCelroy game of Thanksgiving 1993?????
There was nothing like beating the Sips on Thanksgiving night.
The next day the local Wallmart would be sold out of all its A&M gear. This was back when A&M reigned supreme in the state of Texas, and the Southwest Conference.

Its time to bring that electricity back to this rivalry game. A&M-UT needs to rotate between the campuses and be played at 8PM on Thanksgiving Night in front of a National Television audience.

The late start can ensure that the fans that can attend are nice and liquored up........... which can only make the atmosphere as SEC as possible. The 8pm starts also lets folks from Dallas get home after the Cowboy game in time to catch the 1st quarter.

I'm looking forward to that first A&M vs UT game. Don't think folks in BCS haven't forgotten about the gaudy, over the top celebrations that occurred after that lucky kick in 2011.
Folks have a long memory in these neck of the woods, and you might be surprised at the amount of folks itching for some revenge and vengeance against the Horns.

One of these days the Texas Longhorns are going to have to come back to College Station, and we will see how tough they are.
This.

The tu A&M game was a national tradition. It is ok for that the happen again. Let's get over the butthurt created by Deloss Dodds and company and move on. Bowtie put is in a good position. Let's enjoy it.

I'm 50 and we've played on T-Day 14 times in my lifetime. One of the most over-sold "traditions"

I was a sophomore and at the Leeland game. counting grad school, I was a student for 5 years and we played on T-Day twice. Beating them was sweet regardless of the day. Saturday works best
TXAGBQ76
AG
It was not a national tradition unless you went to either school, had family that did, etc.
TXAGBQ76
AG
So the game will be meaningless unless it is Thanksgiving night? The stadiums will be dead and no one will attend unless it is Thanksgiving night?
npoznanski
AG
Game needs to be Saturday night. I hated playing at 11am on Friday and hated it more on Thanksgiving. The students have not really been showing up to this game. Really need them to this year. Last LSU game, stadium was full other than the students, embarrassing.
LB12Diamond
AG
A national treasure. A game that has not even been played for 12 years is not even a state treasure.

If the game was really that important, it would have been played the past 12 years. It was not for those maybe not paying attention.
HowdyAgs03
AG
T+1
levypantsEOY
Slicer97 said:

I'd prefer we play LSU that weekend and play tu in September.

It ain't the rivalry it used to be and it's just another football game now. LSU is easy to hate. tu is just another football game.

Right. As evidenced by the fact that around half the threads on here are about them. Hilarious when zoo posters start the "just another game" crap. Maybe if you scream a little louder about how over them you are, someone will believe you.
LB12Diamond
AG
Well I'm sure all the sip trolls on here have nothing to do with that one and their constant need for self gratification.
Slicer97
AG
levypantsEOY said:

Slicer97 said:

It ain't the rivalry it used to be and it's just another football game now. LSU is easy to hate. tu is just another football game.

Right. As evidenced by the fact that around half the threads on here are about them. Hilarious when zoo posters start the "just another game" crap. Maybe if you scream a little louder about how over them you are, someone will believe you.
I'm not speaking for all the posters here. I'm speaking for me.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Yeah maybe. Like I said I only looked for dates outside 11/22 thru 11/28 which are the possible t-giving dates. But dates within that range could also be on another day of the week.

Someone said 50 of the meetings have been on dates other than t-giving. So if that is true 42% have not been on t-giving.
Kellso
TXAGBQ76 said:

So the game will be meaningless unless it is Thanksgiving night? The stadiums will be dead and no one will attend unless it is Thanksgiving night?
Why are the Dallas Cowboys America's team?
One of the reasons is that they took advantage of every marketing advantage known to man....including being one of the only teams that ever wanted to annually play on Thanksgiving.

Quit thinking small time.
The late NFL game starts at 7:25 on Thanksgiving night, and ends at roughly 10:30PM.

If you start the game at 8PM you get the entire nation watching the last 1.5 quarters of the game after the NFL game ends.
You would get an whole nation wide audience of football fans (raises hands) who have no rooting interest at all in the Thanksgiving NFL night game.

Does anyone in America really care about the Egg Bowl? That would be the other rivalry game you'd be competing against on Thanksgiving night.
People all over the country are going to be fascinated to learn which school gets to earn those coveted Texas bragging rights for the year.

The Saturday after Thanksgiving is just another day, and many people are already focused on Christmas.

Sure....everyone on this board can pretend that beating the University of Mississippi, Arkansas or LSU feels the same as it does to stomp Texas.....but we all know we'd be lying.

Texas A&M will never have a rival as big as the University of Texas. Its time to make this rivalry game the biggest in the country.
TXAGBQ76
AG
I want to stomp them as much as anyone. If it is such a big game to everyone in the world as you say, it will be big whenever we play it. I've travelled around the country and not seen much interest at all from non-grads or fans.
MagnumLoad
sips play Kentucky at home the Saturday before. We play Auburn on the road. That's why. F those rear end fornicating bags of steaming dog feces.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
As stated 42% of the time the series has been played other than Thanksgiving. On top of that it has rarely ever been two ranked programs facing off with anything of significance at stake. Usually it is one program that is high and the other one is low. It is a regional rivalry, if you think otherwise then I encourage you to spend time in a different part of the country. The NFL rules Thanksgiving now. Best bet is to move the series to September, Monday on Labor Day to be exact but I doubt we do that. Next best thing is Friday night after T-Day or Saturday night after T-Day. Times have changed from the past way of doing things and making Texas our only priority needs to be removed from our thought process. It is a big game but we are a big time program that has a slate full of big games. Find the time that works best for our students and fans to make a great atmosphere and win the game, just like every Saturday in the fall.
Kellso
TXAGBQ76 said:

I want to stomp them as much as anyone. If it is such a big game to everyone in the world as you say, it will be big whenever we play it. I've travelled around the country and not seen much interest at all from non-grads or fans.
How about the game be hosted at a neutral location in Houston?

We can call it the Texas Classic....and have it be held the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The game can be played at Reliant Stadium.

If A&M vs UT is going to be nothing more than a regional rivalry then Houston is a good place to meet up to settle those differences.
Mutual_Friend
Slicer97 said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this is might be the worst take ever.

If you care so little about them, then why not refer to them as the rest of the non-rival world does instead of with the pejorative "tu"? Referring to a school by a name that is intended to be demeaning indicates hate, or at least mild dislike, rather than apathy.

ahou614
AG
Honestly I wish they would play the game either middle of the season or the week prior to "Rivalry Week" I have always thought it odd that the biggest game of the season is a Holiday Weekend where most students are not on campus. CSTAT has such a different vibe Thanksgiving weekend.

OU and OSU started doing their game the week prior, and I think the game was better for it.
TXAG 05
AG
Did y'all miss that we are playing them on Saturday this year?

Playing and beating your rival is part of what makes college football great. Never understood why so many are against that.
TXAGBQ76
AG
I'm guessing you're being sarcastic? I want a home and home, a neutral site game makes no sense.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Since 2006, 3 NFL games have been played on Thanksgiving Day. I don't want the Texas vs Texas A&M Game to be competing against the Thanksgiving evening NFL game on NBC.
McInnis80
TXAGBQ76 said:

The '75 game was played on Friday that year, don't remember why
ABC. They asked that the game be moved to Black Friday. In 1971, OU and Nebraska played in "The Game of the Century" on Thanksgiving. The game was swamped in the ratings but the NFL. 50 years later the NFL dominance is much greater. They are moved the A&M Arkansas game to the week after, and we all know how that worked out.

ESPN pushed the move of the sips to the SEC in large part to bring back the A&M/Texas game. There is no way they are going to put this prize game against the NFL. Even if they did, it would only take one phone call from the league office to shut that down.
stexagg
Sips playing us on Thanksgiving Thursday gives them an extra couple of days to prepare for the SEC championship game, which will be on the Saturday of the following weekend, if they happen to be in it. Guarantee that this is their thinking. It's how they operate.
Kellso
TXAGBQ76 said:

I'm guessing you're being sarcastic? I want a home and home, a neutral site game makes no sense.
Its just a suggestion if people don't want to play on Thanksgiving.
If its on Thanksgiving night then it should be played on campus.

The idea of the Texas Classic being held in Houston every year between A&M and UT sounds like a huge money maker.
BartInLA
I suspect tu will forfeit almost all of the games anyway
McInnis80
Kellso said:

TXAGBQ76 said:

Its just a suggestion if people don't want to play on Thanksgiving.
If its on Thanksgiving night then it should be played on campus.

The idea of the Texas Classic being held in Houston every year between A&M and UT sounds like a huge money maker.
No, Just No. The only stadiums which should host the A&M/t.u. games are Kyle Field and Campbell Williams Field at Darrell K. Royal Texas Memorial Stadium.

We sold our souls to the Mouse. ESPN will make the call when and at what time we will play the sips. He who pays the gold makes the rules.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Kellso said:

TXAGBQ76 said:

How about the game be hosted at a neutral location in Houston?

We can call it the Texas Classic....and have it be held the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The game can be played at Reliant Stadium.

If A&M vs UT is going to be nothing more than a regional rivalry then Houston is a good place to meet up to settle those differences.

The powers that be wanted that in the early 20th century. Game was played in Houston from 1908 to 1911, and then the series was interrupted.

I think neutral site games ahve less appeal today after so much investment in campus stadiums and facilities. People want to see the bells and whistles and traditions at rival schools, not complain about the generic pro-stadium.
10PennyNail
AG
I prefer the Thursday game, family would gather with fans of both teams and it was something most of us would engage in and do together. Thanksgiving now is just gather to eat and everyone go their own way the rest of the day. The meal was always in-between the Cowboys and the Ag/t.u. games.

I quit watching the Cowboys when Schram sold the team to the carpetbagger. I basically don't turn on the TV on Thanksgiving day anymore.

The 89 to 96 era games were impacted by NCAA violations by Sherrill and t-sips. I remember *****ing about it at the time.

I don't think it matters what we or the sips want, ESPN is going to make that decision for us.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.