Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Scott Stricklin to A&M if Djork leaves to Buckeyes?

11,632 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Ian Neff
GinMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hearing Scott Stricklin is the front runner for the A&M job…
agchugger
AG
What is our obsession with UF?? The only major sport that they've had any success of baseball and O'Sullivan was there before Stricklin took the job.
Ag Tag
GinMan said:

From Jackson, graduated from Mississippi State, did stints as assistant at Auburn, Tulane, Baylor, and Kentucky, became AD at Mississippi State for 6 years, and then spent the last 7 years as Florida's AD.
LB12Diamond
AG
Florida was 5th in the directors cup last year. That seems like he's having recent success.
Meximan
agchugger said:

What is our obsession with UF?? The only major sport that they've had any success of baseball and O'Sullivan was there before Stricklin took the job.
There was a time that Florida was the only school in history to win a national title in men's baseball, football, and basketball all in the same year. So not a bad place to start looking as a model for success.
agchugger
AG
Meximan said:

agchugger said:

There was a time that Florida was the only school in history to win a national title in men's baseball, football, and basketball all in the same year. So not a bad place to start looking as a model for success.

Can we go back in time and hire that AD and not the one with a bad football defense that we seem enamored with their defensive coaches and players?
Frank Grimes
AG
agchugger said:

Meximan said:

agchugger said:

Can we go back in time and hire that AD and not the one with a bad football defense that we seem enamored with their defensive coaches and players?

No.
NowhereMan
A huge upgrade over Pork man
murphyag
AG
Gators absolutely hate the AD. Really hope ags don't hire him. Why hire an AD from a school where football is a total shatshow under his watch?
Alligator Enthusiast
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease! I'll lend y'all my rental on the Gulf, and it's absolutely beautiful this time of year, if y'all take Starkville Strick off our hands!
South Platte
He did a good job at Miss. State. He's done a terrible job at Florida on FB and MBB. The Florida job is too big for him, so is A&M.
Maroon Flash
AG
No! He will be Stooped if they try!
twk
AG
The Florida schools have a weird relationship between the schools and their booster clubs, which are much more independent than the TMF, yet apparently handle all the money. When Stricklin's predecessor retired (long-time AD Jeremy Foley), he apparently stayed involved with the booster organization, and a lot of Gator fans are blaming Foley and the UAA for their problems. While Jimbo didn't work out here, the dysfunction in FSU athletics was real, and a bit of the same thing maybe happening in Gainesville.
bigfoot10s
AG
I love how everyone judges an AD on their football team. There are around 16-19 varsity sports at a Division 1 university. Football is not the only sport.
South Platte
bigfoot10s said:

I love how everyone judges an AD on their football team. There are around 16-19 varsity sports at a Division 1 university. Football is not the only sport.
True. But baseball, men's tennis and men's swimming all get permanently eliminated without football revenue. Unless you are a men's basketball blue blood, football is the only sport where success is required for all other programs to exist.
MaxPower
bigfoot10s said:

Also the AD has the least control of the football coach. That said, go get the tceh AD.
bigfoot10s
AG
South Platte said:

bigfoot10s said:

True. But baseball, men's tennis and men's swimming all get permanently eliminated without football revenue. Unless you are a men's basketball blue blood, football is the only sport where success is required for all other programs to exist.

We are making plenty of money with football so that the non revenue sports are doing fine. I don't know that the AD has a lot to do with football doing well. Yes he can make the hires, but the revenue is not directly tied to the AD in my eyes.
lagoag
Get the best AD that knows how to kiss babies and shake hands to help get donation's.
P.U.T.U
AG
LB12Diamond said:

Florida was 5th in the directors cup last year. That seems like he's having recent success.
Top put in perspective we were 24th. 5th seems to be an upgrade
LB12Diamond
AG
bigfoot10s said:

And most ADs are just told what to do with the football coach at big universities.

Ross was a pretty good AD.

But Jimbo sucked. So Ross sucks. On this board anyway.
Ugly
AG
bigfoot10s said:

Counter point, we are on the football board right now, so most posters only care about the AD's impact on the football team.
83Aggie
AG
How much direct impact does the AD have on a particular sport? How much direct influence does (did) the AD at Alabama have on winning championships in football as long as Saban was coach? Isn't it really about the HC, staff, recruiting, and now NIL/Portal decisions?
Anchorhold
LB12Diamond said:

They have been 5th for three years in a row and that's the worst showing they have had since 2008.
Divining Rod
I wouldnt come here if I were him, but Kirby Hocutt should be at the top of any wish-list for an AD.

He is nails at getting, keeping, and firing the right people at the right time. Not every hire woks, but there is an art in figuring out which and when.

409Texag
Alligator Enthusiast said:

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease! I'll lend y'all my rental on the Gulf, and it's absolutely beautiful this time of year, if y'all take Starkville Strick off our hands!

I'll take you up on this offer around June!
bizag07
Quote:

I wouldnt come here if I were him, but Kirby Hocutt should be at the top of any wish-list for an AD.

He is nails at getting, keeping, and firing the right people at the right time. Not every hire woks, but there is an art in figuring out which and when.
Lol.

What art did Kirby have when he hired Matt Wells?

What art did Kirby have when he got caught with his pants down with Chris Beard?

What art did Kirby have when he had to fire Marlene Stollings?

What art did Kirby have hiring Joey McGuire?

Let's be clear- the A&M admin is absolutely going to do this.

But let's not pretend Kirby Hocutt has an art. He's been extraordinarily bad at his job. But "he has connections in the college athletics world". More than Ross did. So here we go.
bam02
AG
GinMan said:

Ha ha ha "Djork"! Good one, boss! It's like dork, but a play on Bjork! Clever.

Just kidding, dork.
davido
AG
South Platte said:

Unless you are a men's basketball blue blood, football is the only sport where success is required for all other programs to exist.

Is success required or just attendance? Vanderbilt have those men's teams?
GinMan
AG
bam02 said:

Ha ha ha "Djork"! Good one, boss! It's like dork, but a play on Bjork! Clever.

Just kidding, dork.

I bet you're a lot of fun at parties…on the rare occurrence you get invited

Ian Neff
AG
How much money would we save if we just made it official that John Sharp is the AD?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.