Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The most disappointing football year in my lifetime

13,216 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Azeew
OilManAg91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have been supporting A&M football for more than 50 years. And given expectations vs results, I'm pretty sure 2023 is the absolute worst season performance I have lived through. In year 6 of Jimbo he should have been on top on his game, and instead we were a disaster…combined with t.u and ou coming into the SEC and both teams looking strong, I can't think of a worst situation in the past 50 years. I'm not crying chicken little as I am hopeful Elko can turn it around, but all the way back to the Tom Wilson days I truly think we are at the very bottom of the past 50 years.
Martin Cash
AG
Been an Aggie for 70 years. This year doesn't make the top ten of worst seasons.
sincereag
You're correct, this should have been our year, but Jimbo really missed the mark with our program. I have confidence that Elko will be able to turn it around at A&M, just a matter of how quickly.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
The 1996 6-6 season will always stand out, compared to pre-season expectations.
Double Diamond
The Fran and Shermsn years are worse.
HoustonAggie37713
This season may not be the most disappointing. But from signing the greatest recruiting class of all-time to 12-13 the next two seasons while having to fire a national championship winning coach, pay him $76 million, and losing so many of our starters to the portal, this 2 year period is the most humbling.
Double Diamond
Should've waited till the greatest class were seniors.
Johnny Boyziel 2
AG
2011?
superunknown
AG
Why? To see how many of those vaunted 4 and 5 stars were still around?
sincereag
Double Diamond said:

You've got to be kidding. Geez, did you not see the lack of development in our players under Jimbo. His program had too many holes in it.
Ag Tag
OilManAg91 said:

I have been supporting A&M football for more than 50 years. And given expectations vs results, I'm pretty sure 2023 is the absolute worst season performance I have lived through. In year 6 of Jimbo he should have been on top on his game, and instead we were a disaster…combined with t.u and ou coming into the SEC and both teams looking strong, I can't think of a worst situation in the past 50 years. I'm not crying chicken little as I am hopeful Elko can turn it around, but all the way back to the Tom Wilson days I truly think we are at the very bottom of the past 50 years.
This season was worse than last year's?
Logos Stick
Jimbo was on top of his game. But He's not a good coach, so his game was mediocre.
Logos Stick
Double Diamond said:

Your posts are bad and getting worse.
Ag in Tiger Country
AG
Logos Stick said:

Jimbo was on top of his game. But He's not a good coach, so his game was mediocre.

In my uniformed OPINION, there may have been "personal reasons" in play that forced Bjork's hand; otherwise, he botched the process in its entirety & has largely failed across all sports to support this conclusion, Aggie baseball notwithstanding. Of course, both possibilities can be true at the same time too!
Farmer84
Dom McKinley flips to LSU. The hits keep coming.
BartInLA
We've never been licked. But this was my darkest football moment:
November 8, 2003
At the end of the third quarter OU had "mercy" and didn't score in the 4th quarter. They were ranked #1.

77-0
TX_Aggie37
AG
2024 will be a fun season
Wabs
AG
Double Diamond said:

The Fran and Shermsn years are worse.

Way worse
agwrestler
AG
Insert Torbush gif...
maroonrose
AG
I was born in CS in 1972. The first 10 years didn't pay too much attention. Remember bonfires as they were a big event to a young teenager looking for something to do in a small college town. Spent most Saturdays at Kyle Field in the Fall. Kissed my first girl there around 1987. Enjoyed the years of Sherrill playing the likes of Notre Dame, Auburn and Ohio State at the Cotton Bowl. If my memory serves me right, we beat the boys with reigning Heisman Champions in Tim Brown and Bo Jackson. Sweet days. RC followed and we beat the sips a bit and the year I interviewed for med school Sirr Parker Won us a Big 12 title on a last minute play against Kansas State. Should have been around 1995. Sadly that was almost 30 years ago.

Manziel was a bright spot. Short, but bright for a couple years anyway.

This university has been richer and bigger and more entitled than I ever remember. Yet so little production for so long. The future will never be determined on what recruit flips where or which player is lost in the portal. It will be based on character. Like all of us, I hope Elko brings us back that direction.

My life has been maroon. It defines so many memories. It defines so many years.

Happy 2024 and Gig'em to the Aggie Nation.
Aggie1188
Farmer84 said:

Dom McKinley flips to LSU. The hits keep coming.
who cares. Lacks explosion off the ball.
rootube
AG
OilManAg91 said:

I agree the gap between the start of the season when we seemed loaded and ready to compete with the elite to now where we are fishing in the portal is pretty stark, and not well timed considering horn is joining the conference next year.
Aggie1188
Ag in Tiger Country said:

Logos Stick said:

In my uniformed OPINION, there may have been "personal reasons" in play that forced Bjork's hand; otherwise, he botched the process in its entirety & has largely failed across all sports to support this conclusion, Aggie baseball notwithstanding. Of course, both possibilities can be true at the same time too!
Lol. What sports has he failed at? He's made all good hires so far across all sports, and his hiring of Elko was great given we couldn't get a huge name. What was awful is that Bjork tried to hire Stoops.
Bill Superman
AG
It's more disappointing from the '21 outlook, after the slow build disaster from there it became to be expected. Next year looks better with Elko than it would have with Jimbo.
Fquin
AG
Actually, next year should have been our year with the maturity of what would have been existing talent.(juniors and seniors). This would have put us at the point of the same maturity level of the teams playing in the playoffs this year. But, we tossed all that talent out when we fired the coach! Maybe in 6 years we can reboot again. But, it won't feel as bad because it will be lesser talent.
Cromagnum
AG
Notjavlane
OilManAg91 said:

I feel your pain sir. I felt that way about last year and somehow convinced myself that we could mount a comeback this year..nope... I too hope Elco can turn it around as I really think he is a sharp, but its not off to the best of starts.
HoustonAg2106
AG
It's hard to be an Aggie fan…breaking news
stexagg
I was in school during the Tom Wilson years, graduated in '82. It was embarrassing and he became the head coach as per a petition circulated by the players, led by Mike Mosley right after Ballard resigned. Absolute joke of a program back then.
Chester
superunknown said:

Firing Jimbo is the number one reason that we're having a bad recruiting year and people are leaving. He was the best recruiter that A&M ever had. Now we have to back Elko and hope he can get it done. I wonder how many people will be satisfied with a 7-5 season next year because we are rebuilding?
Chester
greg.w.h
AG
Chester said:

superunknown said:

Firing Jimbo is the number one reason that we're having a bad recruiting year and people are leaving. He was the best recruiter that A&M ever had. Now we have to back Elko and hope he can get it done. I wonder how many people will be satisfied with a 7-5 season next year because we are rebuilding?
No. Elko has to win. Then he gets fan support.
ffco
The Fran era.
Trustmyvoice
AG
77-0
Pizza
Martin Cash said:

Been an Aggie for 70 years. This year doesn't make the top ten of worst seasons.
4L Aggie
AG
Have followed Aggie football since the Sherrill Era and actually thought we had some good moments this year, but the finish was disappointing. Something seemed off since the App State loss & have been broken since. Optimistic with Elko & rebuilding a good culture. 2024 could be a rough season, but like the trajectory now.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.