Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The most disappointing football year in my lifetime

13,228 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Azeew
Allen Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Martin Cash said:

Been an Aggie for 70 years. This year doesn't make the top ten of worst seasons.
Year 6 of Jimbo with year 2 of the best recruiting class of all time. It's definitely in my top 10.
TRADUCTOR
The best Aggie football season is next year. Always.
SunrayAg
AG
OilManAg91 said:

I have been supporting A&M football for more than 50 years. And given expectations vs results, I'm pretty sure 2023 is the absolute worst season performance I have lived through. In year 6 of Jimbo he should have been on top on his game, and instead we were a disaster…combined with t.u and ou coming into the SEC and both teams looking strong, I can't think of a worst situation in the past 50 years. I'm not crying chicken little as I am hopeful Elko can turn it around, but all the way back to the Tom Wilson days I truly think we are at the very bottom of the past 50 years.

Said the crying chicken little.
CuervoAg
AG
OilManAg91 said:

I have been supporting A&M football for more than 50 years. And given expectations vs results, I'm pretty sure 2023 is the absolute worst season performance I have lived through. In year 6 of Jimbo he should have been on top on his game, and instead we were a disaster…combined with t.u and ou coming into the SEC and both teams looking strong, I can't think of a worst situation in the past 50 years. I'm not crying chicken little as I am hopeful Elko can turn it around, but all the way back to the Tom Wilson days I truly think we are at the very bottom of the past 50 years.

I guess you forgot about the '95 season then - if you are measuring expectations versus eventual outcome.
CuervoAg
AG
Chester said:

BCR said:

Chester said:

superunknown said:

Why? To see how many of those vaunted 4 and 5 stars were still around?
Firing Jimbo is the number one reason that we're having a bad recruiting year and people are leaving. He was the best recruiter that A&M ever had. Now we have to back Elko and hope he can get it done. I wonder how many people will be satisfied with a 7-5 season next year because we are rebuilding?
Yes he had highly rated classes but he missed a lot. Hit rate at QB was terrible. Missed most top tiered OL in Texas. LB recruiting and CB has been subpar. Yes he stacked a bunch of DL and some problem people to get a #1 class. Ever notice that as good as interior DL was he didn't get a decent edge guy.

He liked a good ranking but failed to put together a team.

His bad luck with QBs had more to do with injury than anything else. Time to quit piling on Jimbo and move on.

Umm…no, Jimbo sucked at identifying, recruiting, and developing QBs. For a guy being portrayed as a "QB whisperer" he couldn't hit on a QB to save his life (or job) - until maybe CW, but CW is still TBD.
maroonrose
AG
Yes. Forgot that one. Ty Detmer. Went out with both shoulders separated. Nasty defenses.
maroonrose
AG
Sherman could have missed by a year. Had he had another year with Manziel hard to know how that might have played out.

The W/L comparison between Sumlin and Jimbo is not an accurate comparison . Sumlin's first two years overshadowed his tenure as we were way ahead of schedule the first two years in the SEC. He road those first two years and had little to do with the success. Actually his culture was destructive.

I have zero doubt after the OU game in the Cotton Bowl that first SEC year, we could have beat anyone in the nation.
CuervoAg
AG
Chester said:

superunknown said:

Why? To see how many of those vaunted 4 and 5 stars were still around?
Firing Jimbo is the number one reason that we're having a bad recruiting year and people are leaving. He was the best recruiter that A&M ever had. Now we have to back Elko and hope he can get it done. I wonder how many people will be satisfied with a 7-5 season next year because we are rebuilding?

Jimbo's staff had more to do with the recruiting success we had while he was here than Jimbo himself - plus we jumped on the NIL ahead of everyone else (now everyone else has caught up). Plus Jimbo and staff could recruit, but were utter failures in retaining and developing the talent beyond the D-line in the final couple of years. Plus in retrospect, it seems Jimbo was less concerned about character than he should have been.

I believe Elko will get some honeymoon time given the roster rebuild he's got ahead of him - he inherited a roster that was all ready short of the 85 scholarship limit (cause Jimbo fumbled the ball on transfer portal opportunities), that lacked a culture of accountability, and the loss of players and recruits due to coaching transition and NIL impact.

Plus, Elko has a very manageable schedule next year with at least 4-6 built in wins.

Chester
Bail-outs by recruits and players had more to do with Jimbo's firing than anything else. This is the price you pay when you have a coaching change. That said, I believe Elko has an excellent chance to be successful and I am 100% behind him.
Chester
The Porkchop Express

Preseason #3, Elroy McLeland Heisman co-favorite.

Start 2-0 with nice wins over LSU and Tulsa.

Neuheisel makes RC look like a slack-jawed Yokel on the road in Boulder even after they lose Koy Detmer to injury. RC famously calls 2 timeouts on a Colorado 2-point conversion try.

Lose to Tceh when Corey Pullig sees a wide-open receiver and then realizes in horror that it's actually Zach Thomas who takes it for a game-winning pick-six.

Have to beat SMU at home on a desperation TD pass in the final minute after trailing 10-0 going to the 4th quarter.

Limp past Rice 17-10 n a Thursday night ESPN game in which we fall for the same fake punt twice.

Close out the SWC losing to the Sips 16-6 at home with 400 yards of offense and 5 turnovers.

Hamburger Dan
OilManAg91 said:

On the bright side- the Texas Rangers won the World Series. Given that- maybe the Aggies are on the receiving end of some good fortune.
ApachePilot
AG
DustysLineup said:

The 1996 6-6 season will always stand out, compared to pre-season expectations.

My senior year. Ended with a beat down in Austin. Awful. Started with a loss to a multi directional school in Louisiana. I can throw up just thinking about it..
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
ApachePilot said:

DustysLineup said:

My senior year. Ended with a beat down in Austin. Awful. Started with a loss to a multi directional school in Louisiana. I can throw up just thinking about it..
Actually, that season started with a loss to BYU.
#FJB
dixichkn
AG
This year sucked. But if you think this was worse than 2003 or 2008 (or last year for that matter)……..I can't help ya
ApachePilot
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

ApachePilot said:

DustysLineup said:

See I've tried to erase the memory. Thanks for nothing
annie88
AG
Martin Cash said:

Been an Aggie for 70 years. This year doesn't make the top ten of worst seasons.

So this.

I thought it was a joke post.
ApachePilot
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

ApachePilot said:

DustysLineup said:

Wasn't Sark the byu qb??
Azeew
Double Diamond said:

Should've waited till the greatest class were seniors.

Thank you Jimbo. But you were really a shidty coach and you weren't worth waiting on. We'd rather pay you $76 million than you coach another down at Texas A&M.
Azeew
offenseguru
AG
Going to get a lot worse unfortunately. Unless our money machine can offer 2x-5x NIL I don't see how you get the finite pool of elite players to come here. And we need like 40 of em.
Cynic
I'm at the point where I really don't care for the NIL players. They are pre-madonnas who don't give a damn.

For the most part college football is dead
Pantone166
Day ain't over yet
aeon-ag
Martin Cash said:

Class of '70 here, I've been watching them for 70 years. YOU ARE CORRECT, SIR!!!!!!
OilManAg91
AG
Yes 1995 was a really bad year, as were multiple other years as pointed out on other posts. But given our pathetic results this year in light of our recent recruiting rankings and Jimbo's recent extension, we have performed far, far below expectations. We clearly wasted any recruiting advantage we had by joining the SEC and have imploded at the worst possible time when tu and ou are riding high heading to the SEC. It will be much more challenging to dig out of this hole now compared to past bad years, which is why I think 2023 is an all time low.
The Porkchop Express
ApachePilot said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

ApachePilot said:

DustysLineup said:

Wasn't Sark the byu qb??
He threw for 537 yards.
lil_frog8
AG
Sip winning the natty would make your bas terminal.
Fighting Texas Aggie class of '04
dixichkn
AG
Quote:

pre-madonnas
How many more times does this have to happen………
njohn87
AG
chick79 said:

Coach Fran - swing and a miss
Mike Sherman - swing and a miss
Kevin Sumlin - swing and a miss
Jimbo - swing and a miss
Mike Elko -????

We've been in mediocrity for over 20 years. There's a reason we are a pessimistic fanbase.

It was time for Sumlin to leave when he was let go, but I'd call his tenure more successful than not overall. He (and Manziel, and Kingsbury, and Sherman's o-line/recruits) delivered a couple of 10+ win seasons out of the gate in the SEC when a lot of people expected us to faceplant, and while results diminished from there, there were no truly horrendous seasons.

Like it or not, that's probably how success should be defined here. We're not going to have a coach who's here for 15 years and has 10 playoff appearances and wins 3 national titles.
Kellso
at least Texas isn't playing for the National Title.
TxAg76
AG
Trustmyvoice said:

77-0

And it could have been 100+ to 0
one safe place
TRADUCTOR said:

The best Aggie football season is next year. Always.
That has been true for a very long time. Sadly, I think we are now in the "year after next" time frame.
aeon-ag
Double Diamond said:

The Fran and Shermsn years are worse.
Go back to the 60's, Meyers, Foldberg, Stallings, Wilson etc, seasons. You just thought this year was bad!!!
TAMU74
AG
There's been so many bad seasons in my 53 years as an Aggie it's hard to rank them any longer.
However, this year clearly was another one for the rankings.
BudFox7
On the field this season isn't in the top 25 worst in the past 50.

Off the field, the AD blew this transition terribly. Worst coaching transition I can recall.

Tried to fire jimbo early and get a replacement to save portal and failed miserably.

Now we have a staff of a very green HC and OC and a bunch of run through fired or retired position coaches.

Could have either kept jimbo with the same portal, and spent the money on NIL, or fired him after portal and got someone like DeBoer.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
This season sucked and it was at the worst possible time. I like Mike Elko, but I'm feeling pretty down about A&M football after being quite optimistic for a number of years. It just feels like poor leadership will prevent the Aggies from ever competing for a title. Hearing that we really aren't ponying up in the NIL department is pretty disheartening considering that's going to be the only way to win going forward. A&M's whole NIL plan just seems disorganized.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.