Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Do we like Sean Spencer?

9,864 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Ag1985
SBISA Victim
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe some oh his commits from Florida wlll follow.
Ridge14
Pumped we hired someone who just got fired
AggieKeith15
AG
That depends.... Do you like chaos in your life?

Dr. Alister MacKenzie
Meh
oneeyedag
You can tell who watches college football and who doesn't.

Florida's problem wasn't on the defensive line, it was entire defense and their offense averaged 28 ppg
Not a Bot
AG
Ridge14 said:

He's probably their best position coach. Very well respected and a good recruiter. Seemed like a scapegoat for on field stuff that wasn't his fault. Napier is on thin ice there.
Aggie_Booze
AG
But is he committed to running the 3 man front?
steadyeddie
Looks like a good hire
45-70Ag
AG
Florida ranked 68th over all
Rushing defense ranked 76th over all
Gave up 155 yards rushing per game
Teams converted 3rd down 31% of the time and 4th down 32% of the time.

Get excited.
JJxvi
AG
I dont like that he has a stupid nickname because fans cant handle that. He'll either be coaching jesus or the football antichrist on here.
45-70Ag
AG
To be fair, a grown man going by a nick name is some what weird.
amercer
AG
Seems like a decent replacement. Good recruiter, unclear what impact he has on development, but that might be par for the course with position coaches.

The real problem is that the guy we lost was holding together the most talented and productive part of the team and the current recruiting class. If that falls apart, it's a major blow and gets Elko off to a terrible start.
lagoag
Florida also fired Corey Raymond. That's a head scratcher. Did he just forget how to coach DB's. To me it doesn't sound like their 29 year old DC knows what he's doing.

Elko wanted to hire Spencer at Duke before Florida hired him. So give him a chance.
goosespn
AG
Ridge14 said:

What a moronic post, most coaches get fired at some point. It's the nature of change. E-Rob is gone. Move on.
Goosespn
Gig Em!!!
OBJTEX
We'll see. Can he re-recruit our own roster. If Nolen does indeed leave, i fear more elite players will follow suit.
murphyag
AG
lagoag said:

Florida also fired Corey Raymond. That's a head scratcher. Did he just forget how to coach DB's. To me it doesn't sound like their 29 year old DC knows what he's doing.

Elko wanted to hire Spencer at Duke before Florida hired him. So give him a chance.
I think we need to try to hire Corey Raymond. He's a great recruiter and was a good coach at LSU for 10 or 11 years.
lagoag
goosespn said:

Ridge14 said:

What a moronic post, most coaches get fired at some point. It's the nature of change. E-Rob is gone. Move on.
Elko did everything that he could to keep E-Rob and he decided to leave anyway. You're correct it's time to move on.
AustinAg2K
I'm all for hiring a psychic defensive coach...

FarmerJohn
AG
Everything except offer him the DC position, apparently.
Sbisa Chef
He may be "the name" for the defensive line, but I don't like this hire. He will be gone next year. Take a look at his history and where he's been. He's either really expensive and schools can only afford him for a year, or he's a bad coach who doesn't have any long tenure anywhere. Most coaching stops are only for a year.

Chaos will be "Kay-see you later" next year.
MaxPower
Solid coach and great recruiter. Florida has one of the best recruiting classes they've had in awhile, thanks in part to Raymond and Spencer. Their lack of patience may wind up torpedoing that.

Spencer had great DLs at Penn St and NFL experience. I think he wil do fine here. Maybe he can even replace a Robinson defection or two with some Florida guys.
Bill Superman
AG
He needs to come in an convince Walter Nolen to stay, then we'll see.
LB12Diamond
AG
Why the frowning face. Geeze

We gave E Rob a great offer. He left

You move on.

Ags2013
AG
Not worried if he can recruit. Elko will put together the correct defensive staff. I trust he knows way more about defense than anyone on here ever will.
fulshearAg96
lagoag
FarmerJohn said:

Elko worked with E-Rob for 4 years and I'd think he would be the best judge on whether E-Rob was ready to become a DC. Apparently he didn't. I'd have a hard time turning down $1.7 mil but if your dream is to become a head coach someday I guess you need to chase your dreams and take the next step in being a DC. Good luck to E-Rob but I think we're going to be fine.
Dorm 15
AG
Amen to that.
KCup17
AG
He coached Micah Parsons at PSU. He also was fired because him and the other Co-DC didn't mesh well. Napier stuck with the younger coach and let Chaos walk.
Dr RC
lagoag said:

goosespn said:

Ridge14 said:

Elko did everything that he could to keep E-Rob and he decided to leave anyway. You're correct it's time to move on.

Everything? He threw money at him and said he'd remain the DL coach. You can't say he did everything when he refused to move him up to DC.
4ZORRO
AG
Good hire.
ElephantRider
AG
lagoag said:

This. Spencer and Raymond are the fall guys. Need to go get Raymond, too.
TyperWoods
I like whoever Elko likes until they prove to be no bueno
Lurker44
Have only heard he is DLine coach, no co-DC tag. Am I wrong in that. If so and he is only line and recruiting then it's a solid replacement for E-Rob.
Ags4DaWin
As long as the chaos he creates is in the opponent's backfield I am in!
Slicer97
AG
FarmerJohn said:

Given our HC's track record as a DC, I'm willing to bet there's a reason for that.

And, pure speculation on my part by the way, the conversation could've gone something like:

Elko: ERob, you're a helluva DL coach, but I don't think you're quite ready to call a defense in the SEC. So, you've got two options. Stay here and be the highest paid position coach in the land. Or, go to work for your buddy and cut your teeth at DC in a more forgiving spot. If you do well, I'll be calling you back over here when my DC leaves for a HC job in a few years.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.