Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Elko is the Man

10,680 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by andrews372
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
6 years vs 2 years.
Bill Superman
AG
This man understands the importance of culture, strength and conditioning, nutrition, development and maximizing potential. An appreciation of the finer details that bring home the inches.

He's about to fix our behind the scenes problems.
FCBlitz
I want him to be demanding, disciplined and program oriented.

Cast out players who create divisiveness, are lazy and are prima Donna's. Reward players who move mountains for him, master his process and are unselfish to their teammates.

Have a coaching staff that is unified and that any one of them can implement game day management.

Those elements above will result in a national championship.
Bill Superman
AG
Bill Superman said:

Burnsey said:

Tell me why he's a better hire than DeBoer.
Let's go take DeBoer's OC from him and find out.
I'd like to take this opportunity to double down on this.
bam02
AG
Gig 'em, coach!
ABATTBQ11
AG
greg.w.h said:

Completely flubbed firing to get a guy that has no conference championships or 10 win seasons. He's fine but worth $77 million? Hopefully we offered an amount that starts filling the $7.2 million per annum budget hole and Bjork can stand behind more than a tissue paper claim it's heavier in incentives than up front. Otherwise complete disaster firing and hiring.

Sorry your self promoter couldn't cut it, but he had to go. Elko is a solid choice.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Ol Rock said:

Burnsey said:

Maybe we got a discount?

Jimbo Fisher record at Texas A&M: 64%

Mike Elko record at Duke: 64%

Not sure why we changed. I like Elko, but it seems like there were many better options and they must have all told us 'no'.

Go look at Duke historically. They have a losing record overall. They had a total of 10 wins in the 3 seasons before Elko took over, and he immediately took them to 9 wins. He had a lot of bad luck this year with injuries, but he still played really close to teams with a lot more history and resources than Duke, like Notre Dame and FSU. Even at 64%, he's punching WAY above Duke's weight.

Jimbo basically did exactly what sumlin did. He didn't change or improve hardly anything.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Just don't mention Elko being fat.
StonewallAggieDEFENSE
Milwaukees Best Light said:

That's a bonus
Evanhue
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Who cares? Mangino weighed one metric ton and he kicked our butt at Kyle Field.
Kozmozag
So we go from hiring a natty winning coach to "a competent coach"...lol, and we wonder why people laugh at us.
dlsarmi2
AG
If you were so in belief Stoops was a serious contender: you and others fell for some Sexton mind tricks. Sure he talked to Bjork (how many candidates do you think Bjork talked to). Good: you helped contribute to Stoops (and Sexton's) income...
Bill Superman
AG
Kozmozag said:

So we go from hiring a natty winning coach to "a competent coach"...lol, and we wonder why people laugh at us.
You thought we were looking for a coach with a natty on their pedigree? We tried that already, remember.
Mule
AG
Welcome back Coach!
Texas Aggies
aTmC4neck
AG
lagoag said:

I hope he comes in and finds a great OL and OC coaches. He knows defense so I trust me on that side.
Trust me? Elko is already a legend poster around here...WILD
offenseguru
AG
I think Elko will already know the path to success at A&M given he's successfully recruited here, can still recruit nationally and knows our staff and squad pretty well. Think he knows how to sell A&M strengths and counter our adversaries' messaging.
LarryElder
offenseguru said:

I think Elko will already know the path to success at A&M given he's successfully recruited here, can still recruit nationally and knows our staff and squad pretty well. Think he knows how to sell A&M strengths and counter our adversaries' messaging.
another guy who gets A&M SMH
Little Rock Ag
AG
LarryElder said:

offenseguru said:

Yeah, I've heard that one before, too. But, you know? Why the heck not? Give Elko a shot and cut him loose if he fails, then try again. Maybe this guy will be the one.
rsf0626
Because deboer was never going to come here
rsf0626
Jock 07
AG
levypantsEOY said:

The guy who lost to Virginia?
For being a non rival sip sure does seem pretty invested in our coaching hire.
Bill Superman
AG
Jock 07 said:

levypantsEOY said:

The guy who lost to Virginia?
For being a non rival sip sure does seem pretty invested in our coaching hire.
He hates us more than he likes sip.
Texker
AG
Bill Superman said:

Now this is a hire most every logical person can get behind, even if it's not splashy. This is someone who can fix our culture problem.

No nonsense. He understands sound football. Can evolve with the times. Will delegate properly and be CEO. Understands the X's and O's and is a top tier coach.

He quickly turned Duke football around and made them respectable. The players love him. He's still young enough to be on the come up. There's not too much not to like besides the fact that he hasn't won a natty yet.

Give this man an elite OC and see what happens.
I'm in. Let's Go Coach!
Bluto
AG
PyriteAg said:

Aggiedad17! said:

So, why isn't anybody talking about Ryan Day? Is that just too far out of reach or would he turn his nose up at us?

Too far out of reach I guess. He has barely lost any games there.

As crazy as tOSU fanbase is, they'd be insanely stupid to just chase him out without a proper plan or cause.

Irony? Ha! Just kidding, we at least had cause. A change was needed. We either didn't have a plan, or that plan was derailed and we had to pivot and land on our back-up option. I think that's where much of the negativity behind this hire is derived. Most of us figured we would be able to land one of our top choices and not have to settle.

That being said, I am moving forward on this and trying to focus on all the positive aspects Elko brings to the table.

Muy
AG
Burnsey said:

Tell us why Deboer would get better results? We can play hypothetical arguments all day day if you want.
Muy
AG
LarryElder said:

offenseguru said:

Yes, part of recruiting is you sell the school, its academics, and values. SMh
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Welcome back to Aggieland, Mike Elko!
Logos Stick
Not a flashy hire for sure. I'm not expecting great success but I hope I'm wrong.
andrews372
I think Elko was the guy all along and Ross threw the smokescreen of Stoops to irate the fans, so when they settled on Elko the majority of the fan base would be okay with the hire.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.