Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Elko is the Man

10,723 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by andrews372
Bill Superman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now this is a hire most every logical person can get behind, even if it's not splashy. This is someone who can fix our culture problem.

No nonsense. He understands sound football. Can evolve with the times. Will delegate properly and be CEO. Understands the X's and O's and is a top tier coach.

He quickly turned Duke football around and made them respectable. The players love him. He's still young enough to be on the come up. There's not too much not to like besides the fact that he hasn't won a natty yet.

Give this man an elite OC and see what happens.
Burnsey
AG
Tell me why he's a better hire than DeBoer.
The Banned
Burnsey said:

That wasn't his point.
SquareOne07
AG
Burnsey said:

Why does that matter? DeBoer wouldn't have come regardless
TexasAggie_97
AG
Burnsey said:

Simple he's better because DeBoer was not interested.
TxAg76
AG
Burnsey said:

For starters, he was tangible and apparently interested….of which DeBoer may not have been
Aggie_Journalist
AG
If we wanted DeBoer, we should have waited until after the bowl game to fire Jimbo

With NIL, the portal, and early signing day, you can't wait til January to make a hire, and DeBoer wasn't going to leave a title contender before the title game
Thanks and gig'em
aginresearch
AG
I don't know that Elko is better than Deboer but Deboer was very risky because of the playoff potential and lag. Elko is a very solid hire. Not splashy but very solid.
PyriteAg
AG
Burnsey said:

We'll never know for sure, and deboer may have been better.

But Elko INSTANTLY flipped the script with the Sumlin-defense in not even a year. That is absolutely insane. There's also the fact that he's younger and has been a HC at a resource-poor program in a shorter timespan.

Maybe there would have been better hires, but Elko is a great hire.

With that being said, why Bjork chose Stoops over Elko is absolutely beyond me. Why he didn't even interview Fisch is insane. He needs to go.
Jkennedy055
I couldn't agree more. Let's fix the culture problem and play sound football.
Burnsey
AG
Lot of talking out the sphincter going on…'DeBoer not interested'. Did you talk to him? Did he tell you that? Or did you assume that because DeBoer still is on the hunt for a NC?
levypantsEOY
The guy who lost to Virginia?
TAMU74
AG
I'm on board w/ this hire.
He should be able to save any recruit commitments and keep the portal from exploding.
I just hope he can turn things around fast.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
I expect Elko is going to absolutely crush it here

I hope he hangs around as our HC for 20 years. He has a TON of upside. I hope he brings Santucci and Johns with him. If I'm Duke, I'm probably offering either of those 2 the HC job
TexasAggie81
levypantsEOY said:

1000x better than losing to App St.
Ol Rock
AG
Burnsey said:

Maybe we got a discount?

Jimbo Fisher record at Texas A&M: 64%

Mike Elko record at Duke: 64%

Not sure why we changed. I like Elko, but it seems like there were many better options and they must have all told us 'no'.
lagoag
levypantsEOY said:

F off sip troll.
standfast
He went to an IVY league school so he's probably pretty sharp. We know how well he can coach defensively. His ACC record on paper isn't overly impressive until you start looking at scores and consider the talent he inherited. He was able to beat some ranked teams and even out coached Dabo and beat Clemsons superior talent 28-7. If he can recruit like we have been and put together an offensive staff then this may actually be a great hire.
txaggieacct85
AG
I disagree on one point. I'm glad he hasn't won a natty.

We just watched that movie and it wasn't good.

And where would he have won a natty? Sure as heck not at Duke
lagoag
I hope he comes in and finds a great OL and OC coaches. He knows defense so I trust me on that side.
greg.w.h
AG
Completely flubbed firing to get a guy that has no conference championships or 10 win seasons. He's fine but worth $77 million? Hopefully we offered an amount that starts filling the $7.2 million per annum budget hole and Bjork can stand behind more than a tissue paper claim it's heavier in incentives than up front. Otherwise complete disaster firing and hiring.
Fatboy Thaddeus
OutSTANDING hire!

I remember one old Pulse episode one of our DBs (I forgot who ) was talking about how good Elko was at describing complex schemes to him. Jimbo had the schemes and the players but could not teach them to the players. Elko can deliver the complete picture.

I don't think he'll help us battle through conference-borne headwinds (officiation, smear campaigns, scheduling shenanigans etc.) but he'll at least make us a premiere on-field force.
AGDAD14
I will settle for this. I think with Elko's defense knowledge, that he will understand the importance of a very good OC, QB coach, and OL coach.

I'm still hoping the BORs realize what a poorly thought out decision to fire Jimbo was and fires Bjork.
Sbisa Chef
He knows A&M and can get settled in immediately.
ElephantRider
AG
Burnsey said:

DeBoer was always a pipe dream
Hi, Im Brett
AG
Burnsey said:

I like the hire because IMO it's not necessary to blow up the whole thing, and Elko is familiar with the current players and staff. Close losses in very winnable games got Jimbo fired.

Reset the offense and let's roll!
gwoodtamu
AG
Bill Superman said:

Now this is a hire most every logical person can get behind, even if it's not splashy. This is someone who can fix our culture problem.

No nonsense. He understands sound football. Can evolve with the times. Will delegate properly and be CEO. Understands the X's and O's and is a top tier coach.

He quickly turned Duke football around and made them respectable. The players love him. He's still young enough to be on the come up. There's not too much not to like besides the fact that he hasn't won a natty yet.

Give this man an elite OC and see what happens.

Trash hire
Eso si, Que es
That's my HC. I like this hire. Was happy as hell for him when he got the call from Duke, he deserved it. Now he gets the resources to prove he is an elite leader and coach. Glad it will be A&M where he gets that shot
Aggiedad17!
So, why isn't anybody talking about Ryan Day? Is that just too far out of reach or would he turn his nose up at us?
gdubya15
AG
Love Elko. Bring him home!!
Bill Superman
AG
Burnsey said:

Let's go take DeBoer's OC from him and find out.
PyriteAg
AG
Aggiedad17! said:

So, why isn't anybody talking about Ryan Day? Is that just too far out of reach or would he turn his nose up at us?

Too far out of reach I guess. He has barely lost any games there.

As crazy as tOSU fanbase is, they'd be insanely stupid to just chase him out without a proper plan or cause.
Sterling82
In my mind, Elko is about the same as Stoops but without as high of a cost. It was convenient though and I fully expected as much out of Bjork. Deep down I knew all of the commotion of the "search" would end up at the obvious safe and convenient hire.
Jack Friday
Elko gets a thumbs up
Familiar with program and some current coaches and players.
Familiar with recruiting in TX.
Did more with less @ Duke
Current players appear to be on board with the hire
Bargain vs other prospects
No hire is guaranteed and considering the circumstances I think he's a nice fit and will do well .
alamogeorge
AG
levypantsEOY said:

He's coming to the school that lost to App State. Who do you think is getting the better end of the deal?
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.