Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

8 versus 9

5,376 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by twk
Dorm 15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Am I understanding this correctly? Which format the SEC chooses depends greatly on how much their TV partners are willing to pay for a 9th game?
20ag07
You mean our one TV partner.

8 is leveraging and posturing right now. (It may be 8 in 2024 due to games that would have to be bought out).

But there is no way it's not 9 in 2025. Too much would be left on the table for all involved.

The lower-tier schools are also pushing for 8, bc they need the extra cupcake to go bowling, but they'll be put in their corner.

As Andy Staples wrote in The Athletic this week: " Let's put this as plainly as possible: If you have Texas and Texas A&M in your league and don't have them play football annually, you are stupid. If you hijack the league schedule for almost 20 years to ensure Alabama and Tennessee play every season and then stop playing that series annually just when it's getting fun again, you are stupid. If you stop playing the Deep South's Oldest Rivalry (Auburn-Georgia) annually so Mississippi State can schedule another easy win, you are stupid."

And people can hate Sankey all they want, but he ain't stupid.
greg.w.h
AG
Staples trying to force the game to happen by framing it as stupidity might as well cal A&M fans ******ed since it is THAT dumb to frame it that way.

The teams that don't want nine games have until now prevented utvrtom changing. We aren't one of them as far as I know. That's not on us.
20ag07
Quote:

Staples trying to force the game to happen by framing it as stupidity might as well cal A&M fans ******ed since it is THAT dumb to frame it that way.
No, he's just not butthurt, and knows the TV inventory that generates the viewers that pay for everything.
BMX Bandit
exactly. staples is spot on. he is viewing it from a perspective of reality, not a jaded fan.
greg.w.h
AG
20ag07 said:

Quote:

No, he's just not butthurt, and knows the TV inventory that generates the viewers that pay for everything.
Exactly who is butthurt? Please be very specific.
TyperWoods
Let's wait and see what tu wants to do.

Clayton Williams somehow comes to mind.
Eike Mlko
Just don't screw me out of the trip to big bend.
BTKAG97
AG
20ag07 said:

And people can hate Sankey all they want, but he ain't stupid.
I beg to differ.
20ag07
Quote:

Clearly BTKAG97.
greg.w.h
AG
20ag07 said:

Quote:

Clearly BTKAG97.
I noted our school did not oppose nine teams or a renewed rivalry. So who is Staples calling stupid? It is a vote. Majority wins. Calling that stupid is arrogant and uninformed…which is a synonym for the more volatile "stupid."
bv86ag
AG
20ag07 to the rescue of his fellow media types again.
Never fails.
BMX Bandit
He's calling anyone that thinks A&M and tu shouldn't play every year now that both in SEC stupid.

Seems pretty clear.
greg.w.h
AG
BMX Bandit said:

He's calling anyone that thinks A&M and tu shouldn't play every year now that both in SEC stupid.

Seems pretty clear.

No he's not. Because everyone isn't stopping it from happening.
BMX Bandit
no idea what that means.

whether something ultimately happens doesn't mean opposing it was not stupid.
northeastag
AG
Well let's just face it, Sankey and the heads of SEC member schools would probably eat dog poop and screw their sisters on national television for the right amount of money. The notion of college "amateur" athletics is just about done.

Panama Red
AG
People have been claiming that its "just about money" for over 40 years. Crazy how people running billion dollar business care about generating revenue.
greg.w.h
AG
BMX Bandit said:

no idea what that means.

Staples is being derogatory towards exactly whom? You are being derogatory towards exactly whom? That's the question I asked. Can you answer it? Be very specific.
20ag07
Anyone making administrative calls that would leave those types of games on the table to satisfy MS State and Vanderbilt.

Were you really so dense (a less volatile synonym for stupid) that you needed that spelled out for you?
Ag8086
AG
Whatever it is, no possible way tu and OU do not play every year in Dallas second Saturday in October.
Meximan
The bottom line is, the bottom line is so much better at 9 league games than 8. Having a conference game generates so many more viewers and sponsorship money than scheduling Directional U, because teams won't dump their marquee non con game, the gates alone on those are worth so much more than paying out money for an easy win, forget about the TV money.
Bunkhouse96
AG
The biggest draw back with a 9 game schedule is 1 more guaranteed loss for.half.the teams in the conference.
-------------------------------------
If at first you don't succeed, try doing what your teacher told you to do the first time.
rootube
AG
Bunkhouse96 said:

The biggest draw back with a 9 game schedule is 1 more guaranteed loss for.half.the teams in the conference.

When the playoffs expand hopefully we can stop pretending losses are season ending and play more good games. It will be refreshing.
20ag07
Quote:

And in a 12- team playoff format, those bowls with 6-6 teams become even farther irrelevant.

That piece is palatable for the big guys, because 2-3 loss teams will now be able to get in.

And even fewer people will care about the Las Vegas, Gasparilla, or Texas bowls, where there was never any money anyway (travel costs often exceeded the payouts). And the SEC teams who went didn't care either.

The alleged "pride" of "at least being bowl eligible at 6-6" will quickly diminish with money.
LincolnBorglum79
AG
Are tu and ou really willing to have 4 home 4 road 1 Dallas every year or even the possibility of 3 home 5 road 1 Dallas. It's tradition but I can see it reverting to a home and home.

I also think the 12 teams expands to 16 quickly and the bowls fade away. 1 vs 16 is worth playing Vs a bye.
BMX Bandit
greg.w.h said:

BMX Bandit said:

no idea what that means.

Staples is being derogatory towards exactly whom? You are being derogatory towards exactly whom? That's the question I asked. Can you answer it? Be very specific.

I did answer. And was specific.

TXAG 05
AG
20ag07 said:

Quote:

And in a 12- team playoff format, those bowls with 6-6 teams become even farther irrelevant.

That piece is palatable for the big guys, because 2-3 loss teams will now be able to get in.

And even fewer people will care about the Las Vegas, Gasparilla, or Texas bowls, where there was never any money anyway (travel costs often exceeded the payouts). And the SEC teams who went didn't care either.

The alleged "pride" of "at least being bowl eligible at 6-6" will quickly diminish with money.

The Texas Bowl has one of the highest payouts of the non NY6.
20ag07
The bowl payments go to the conference, and are split among all the teams.
BMX Bandit
its not an even split though, at least in SEC. the better the bowl, the more you get.

I agree with your point, but think Texas and LV bowls were not the best examples to use.
20ag07
I was just using ones SEC teams played in this year.
CapCityAg89
AG
For as long as I've been alive, there have only been one or two bowls per year that anyone cares about - at first, it was a bit random depending on where the 1-2 undefeated and highly ranked teams played their game. Then, it was one game for a bit and maybe a second if someone got screwed out of the BCS champ. Now, we have three. Soon, we'll have ELEVEN.

Nobody will care LESS about the other bowls as nobody has ever cared except the teams playing. They cared more or less depending on how the season and their past seasons went. None of that changes.

Net huge win.
greg.w.h
AG
BMX Bandit said:

greg.w.h said:

BMX Bandit said:

no idea what that means.

I did answer. And was specific.

Who opposes it? Why are they stupid??? Give me a single person you believe opposes it? Just one. Actual person not sock.
NyAggie
AG
LincolnBorglum79 said:

Are tu and ou really willing to have 4 home 4 road 1 Dallas every year or even the possibility of 3 home 5 road 1 Dallas. It's tradition but I can see it reverting to a home and home.

I also think the 12 teams expands to 16 quickly and the bowls fade away. 1 vs 16 is worth playing Vs a bye.
I think they are. when they have 3 home, 1 neutral and 5 road they will need to shave a big ooc game scheduled at home for those years like we do when we have ark in jerryworld designated as a "home" game.

NyAggie
AG
greg.w.h said:

The teams that don't want nine games have until now prevented utvrtom changing. We aren't one of them as far as I know. That's not on us.
staples isn't calling fans of any school stupid; he's calling the sec league officials and the university presidents and AD's stupid IF they don't go 3-6 and play all the big rivalries every year

Divining Rod
Quote:

Sankey ..... would probably eat dog poop and screw their sisters on national television for the right amount of money.
Now you've gone too far. I don't think Sankey would ever eat dog poop.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.