Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

8 versus 9

5,380 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by twk
Iraq2xVeteran
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I prefer 9 conference games that will consist of 3 permanent opponents and 6 rotating opponents. In that format, we would play the other 6 teams every other year. They would play at Kyle Field every 4 years, and we would play at their stadiums every 4 years. I know that will create an unbalance of home and away conference games, but I think doing a home and home with a Power 5 non-conference team can mitigate that. If a team has 4 home conference games, they can play a home against a Power 5 non-conference team for 5 home games against P5 teams. Likewise, if a team has 5 home conference games, they can play a road game against a Power 5 non-conference team for 5 away games against P5 teams.

I would like 10 games against Power 5 teams because that will generate greater attendance and revenue. I don't like these Week 12 cupcake games, especially as a final home game. In 2023, our final game will be against Abilene Christian. In odd years, we seem to play a cupcake game as our final game at Kyle Field. The only exceptions were 2013 and 2019. Our final home game should be a conference game every year.

Final home games in odd years
2013: Mississippi State in week 11 before 2nd bye week in week 12
2015: Western Carolina in week 11
2017: New Mexico in week 11
2019: South Carolina in week 12
2021: Prairie View A&M in week 12
2023: Abilene Christian in week 12

twk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
greg.w.h said:

Staples trying to force the game to happen by framing it as stupidity might as well cal A&M fans ******ed since it is THAT dumb to frame it that way.

The teams that don't want nine games have until now prevented utvrtom changing. We aren't one of them as far as I know. That's not on us.
Staples is saying that if you are going to have A&M and Texas in the same conference, they ought to play every year. That can only happen if we go with a 9 game schedule because Texas is going to have OU as their sole permanent opponent if we go with 8 games (which will come as a result of the 8 game schedule featuring 1 permanent opponent and 7 rotating opponents).
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.