Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

This board is true entertainment …

12,715 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by WC94
Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You can tell who is new to Aggie football and who is not

Of course a 3-6 record is unacceptable, III give you that

But Texas A&M football is just that. Texas A&M football.
We are a program that has never been a top tier program.
We have flirted with that status a few times but ultimately blowout losses in bowl games or some inexplicable loss kept us looking up at the elite level.
We have had one hit wonder seasons every now and then that temporarily put us on the map.. 2012 and 2020 are perfect examples.
But we have never consistently been a top level program.
Closest we came was under Jackie Sherrill and I do truly believe Sherrill would of won a national title or two in the early 90's had he stayed here.
That was our best opportunity at sustained national success

It didn't happen and we were a regional program in the 90's. Dominated a dying SWC and got railed usually in bowl games again keeping us from moving into the elite status. Moved to Big 12 and again in the 90's had marginal success , won a Big 12 title in 1998 and three years later were in the GalleryFurnitire.com bowl.
We cannot sustain any success

And this has been going on … forever

So some people want to magically think we are Alabama or Georgia or Florida State of the 90's.

We are not , expectations are unrealistic .. again 3-6 is not even close to what should be accepted but the talk of firing Jimbo is laughable to me.
You can't keep hitting the rest button every 5 years

Since 2000 Texas A&M is a .500 conference team.
We are 93-91 in conference games the last 23 seasons.
Under 5 head coaches.
In those 23 seasons only 7 times have we finished at least 2 games over .500 in conference .
Since moving to the SEC, 11 seasons only 3 times have We finished conference play with a winning record

Not advocating accepting mediocrity but we have been an extremely mediocre program for a long long time and have 5 head coaches in the last 20 years.
So why the mob mentality that we need to immediatly fire a head coach that has obviously failed this one season?
Two years ago half this board was ready to proclaim Jimbo the 2nd coming of Christ.

We invested a lot in Jimbo . We invested way too much imo to fire him at this point.
And all of that falls on the people who have him that contract who IMO are the ones whose jobs should be in jeopardy. Don't care how good of a coach you are or how competitive you believe to be. Human natures takes over. Give that person a $90 million guaranteed contract and I'll show you a person that's not near as motivated as the guy he was before that pen hit the paper to sign.

deviro
Lock thread, pin to the top.
WC94
AG
We suck. We shouldn't suck. We have the best fanbase times infinity
fieldtrailer
AG
Someone someday is going to provide root cause of all of this. Instead of the mind numbing summary we all read over and over.
AggieArchitect04
AG
barbacoa taco
AG
Who is saying we are top tier? Everyone knows we aren't but we have the potential to be better. And we have every reason in the world to expect better than the dumpster fire Jimbo has created this season.
TexasAggie_97
AG
Quote:

We are not , expectations are unrealistic .. again 3-6 is not even close to what should be accepted but the talk of firing Jimbo is laughable to me.

And yet that is exactly what elite programs do. Have you ever wondered why the blue bloods never stay down for very long?
TexasAggie_97
AG
larry culpepper said:

Who is saying we are top tier? Everyone knows we aren't but we have the potential to be better. And we have every reason in the world to expect better than the dumpster fire Jimbo has created this season.
We have one of the largest stadiums, fan bases and athletic budgets in the nation. We have one of the highest paid coaches in all of football. We just signed the highest class ever and we started the season at #6. If that is not top tier, then please tell me what is.
zephyr88
AG
TexasAggie_97 said:

larry culpepper said:

We have one of the largest stadiums, fan bases and athletic budgets in the nation. We have one of the highest paid coaches in all of football. We just signed the highest class ever and we started the season at #6. If that is not top tier, then please tell me what is.
While it's nice, Having a big stadium, big fan base and a big budget does not define our program.

Here's what top tier programs have:
Top tier teams have better than average coaching.
Top tier teams have effective offenses.
Top tier teams have effective defenses.
Top tier teams compete… routinely.
Top tier teams win... routinely.
Top tier teams win at home… routinely.
Top tier teams finish ranked in the Top 10… routinely.
Top tier teams don't start the season in the Top 10, then disappear.
Top tier teams go to legit bowl games… routinely.
Top tier teams don't pray for 'enough wins' to go to a no-name bowl game.
Dad
AG
TLDR version: We've always been mediocre and you should accept mediocrity. Guys that did Jimbo's contract need to be fired.

I'm going to just cancel my season tickets because it helps enable this type of behavior from the idiots that run A&M athletics.
TexasAggie_97
AG
zephyr88 said:

TexasAggie_97 said:

larry culpepper said:

While it's nice, Having a big stadium, big fan base and a big budget does not define our program.

So what you are saying is we have a ****ty coaching staff that needs to be replaced. I think that's something that we can all agree on.
cevans_40
AG
You are right about one thing. A guy without a big contract is way more motivated than a guy with a big contract.....

to find a big contract
Chester
WC94 said:

The best fan base only if you exclude the negative 2 percenters who regularly post on TexAgs.
Chester
TxAg76
AG
zephyr88 said:

TexasAggie_97 said:

larry culpepper said:

Top tier teams are putting 10+ players into the NFL draft, year after year after year.
We've had some nice flashes in the pan, but we're nowhere near that yet.
Recruiting is the life blood of the top tier teams. And we're wanting to run off the one guy that's been able to bring in the larger groups of the top tier talent??
DGrimesAg92
A ***** with a nice dress is still a *****.
Chester
Chester said:

WC94 said:

The best fan base only if you exclude the negative 2 percenters who regularly post on TexAgs.
Chester
Chester
TxAg76 said:

zephyr88 said:

TexasAggie_97 said:

larry culpepper said:

Top tier teams are putting 10+ players into the NFL draft, year after year after year.
We've had some nice flashes in the pan, but we're nowhere near that yet.
Recruiting is the life blood of the top tier teams. And we're wanting to run off the one guy that's been able to bring in the larger groups of the top tier talent??

Not we just a few of the 2 percenter know nothings who regularly post on here.
Chester
RightWingConspirator
AG
We're Purdue but somehow fancy ourselves as an Alabama or equivalent. Therein lies the frustration. Every major school within 700 miles of us has won a championship. We're better resourced than most of the teams that experienced far more success than we have. I suspect we can burn an effigy of Jimbo, but the problem lies with the upper brass who chooses coaches, dictates philosophy, etc.
2ndGen87
AG
We had 8000 students in 1970. We have 80,000 now. We aren't the same school
TMF
AG
Hey OP, if we accepted that then why are we investing more money than anyone? If we should be okay with that then we shouldn't be investing this much money and driving up the prices.
BenFiasco14
AG
Things are a lot better when you're content as a fan to just be along for the ride.

When A&M is putting a good product on the field and in the rankings/relevant, it's a lot of fun and more motivated to spend the time and money to go to CS and away for games. I'm happy to spend the money on food, hotels etc because it's fun.

When we suck, I don't spend that time and money and instead just casually follow the team (or, like this year, go if given tickets). That's really all we can do as fans outside of *****. Don't spend money.

This year has been pretty boring cause it's hard for me to even care about college football as a whole when Ags are irrelevant.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
double fault
What's crazy is that we also have the best fan-run website for all of college football

No one else even comes close

I just want to see saw ''em off at the NC game

That's all I really want

Just Tired
op, you are right... and the day i internalize that is the day i stop watching aggie football.
SBDavis87
AG
Open letter to the BOR that read TexAgs

Dear BOR,

Next year all of this year's freshman non-thugs will have experience and that five star group that chose to be in college station instead of all the other schools across the country - because Jimbo is a wonderful person - and not just for the wonderful academic experience they get as student athletes filling every wonderful weekend exploring the bountiful natural wonders of College Station, Texas will still be too young, but…….are somehow going to win a national championship in football going undefeated and bring back the pride and memories of all the national championships won in the past decades of the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s, and this era. (keep in mind a decade is 10years like Jimbo's contract)

You see how group-think, and the hive mentality promote the psychological or physical brain damage indicating symptom known as absolute delusion, which invariably leads to sociopathy and BOR membership?

Asking an Aggie BOR member anything about football or most any other sport is the exact same as asking your dog which chess piece goes where. Too ignorant of reality to render even an intelligent opinion.

Defending Maroon Dawn threads and statements now isn't just a requirement for the naysayers (you all know who you are and should be so proud), it is an absolute virtue.

Texags will go on just as Jimbo's contract will go on.
Is it success past or present or is it force of habit perpetuity?
Remember, 100 year decisions can be reversed, and playing religious schools again like TCU and Baylor allows for use of the best Aggie traditional archetype of all to actually make sense, "BEAT THE HELL OUT OF ….." - [insert name of religious school opponent who will outSCORE the team in every way]

signed,
Non-2% Rock the Good Ag
JBGoode
AG
Not a fan of OP's who try to "high brow" the rest of us by feigning mature, "sober" thinking.

It's a fast track to the bottom, where we are, coincidentally.
Aggie
AG
TMF said:

Hey OP, if we accepted that then why are we investing more money than anyone? If we should be okay with that then we shouldn't be investing this much money and driving up the prices.

That's on people that pay the bills.
Seeing as I have not been a season ticket holder since 2014 and watch the games from my couch except the occasional road trip .. I don't spend $ on Aggie football.
And to tell you the truth in a happier man because of that.
A&M football to me now is pure entertainment value.
If they are good great, if they suck .. oh well.
I don't spend $ on it, i don't invest all my emotions on it
I did for the better part of 20+ years.. never again

I
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
i don't think it's unreasonable to expect more. we have absolutely the worst return on investment in college football. it has been this way for quite sometime and we'll before jimbo came to aggieland, however to OPs point we are what we have always been. this season is an anomaly as much as 2020 and 2012. we are very rarely bad and we are very rarely great. what we are is an above average football program with some features that are elite. unfortunately those features are the fan base and facilities not the product on the field.
Bottlehead90
AG
Things can get better and saying we will always suck is a loser mentality.

Florida never won a conference title before spurrier.

And Clemson is another school who made themselves a place at the big boy table recently.

We have to focus on A&M and quit worrying about that school in Austin. Things can be better and things can be worse. We will see.

Krazykat
AG
We aren't even a 2nd tier team anymore. We suck.
Stinky T
AG
I agree 100% with your post. However, college football has seen massive changes recently that could mean you sit at 4-8 for multiple seasons if you make a bad hire or contract decision. Players can leave whenever they want. They get paid everywhere. In the past, we could have used last year's recruits to build on, even with this terrible season results, because they could not go anywhere easily.

A 10 year guaranteed contract for a coach has no place in today's game. You used to have to guarantee continuity in coaching to lure recruits, because once they signed, they were stuck. Now, not so much. Success is going to be much more important than continuity in coaching going forward.
Charlie 31
AG
Aggie said:

We have flirted with that status a few times but ultimately blowout losses in bowl games or some inexplicable loss kept us looking up at the elite level.
We have had one hit wonder seasons every now and then that temporarily put us on the map.. 2012 and 2020 are perfect examples.
Closest we came was under Jackie Sherrill and I do truly believe Sherrill would of won a national title or two in the early 90's had he stayed here.

It didn't happen and we were a regional program in the 90's. Dominated a dying SWC and got railed usually in bowl games again keeping us from moving into the elite status. Moved to Big 12 and again in the 90's had marginal success , won a Big 12 title in 1998 and three years later were in the GalleryFurnitire.com bowl.

So some people want to magically think we are Alabama or Georgia or Florida State of the 90's.

Under 5 head coaches.
In those 23 seasons only 7 times have we finished at least 2 games over .500 in conference .
Since moving to the SEC, 11 seasons only 3 times have We finished conference play with a winning record

Not advocating accepting mediocrity but we have been an extremely mediocre program for a long long time and have 5 head coaches in the last 20 years.
So why the mob mentality that we need to immediatly fire a head coach that has obviously failed this one season?
Two years ago half this board was ready to proclaim Jimbo the 2nd coming of Christ.

We invested a lot in Jimbo . We invested way too much imo to fire him at this point.
And all of that falls on the people who have him that contract who IMO are the ones whose jobs should be in jeopardy. Don't care how good of a coach you are or how competitive you believe to be. Human natures takes over. Give that person a $90 million guaranteed contract and I'll show you a person that's not near as motivated as the guy he was before that pen hit the paper to sign.
Kellso
Would any of you welcome a SWC Part redux with SMU, Rice, Cougar High and the gang?

The BIGXII and the SEC have not been kind to the Texas A&M football program. One BIGXII title back when Clinton was POTUS, and one 10 win season in the 21st century. The rest of the seasons are a long list of mediocrity and futility.

A&M was paired with the Texas Schools the last time the Aggies were a powerhouse on the football field. Maybe its time to look at the past?
firethewagonup
Almost 100mm worth of words

Aggie said:

Under 5 head coaches.

Gigem Aggies
Dr RC
Aggie said:

Under 5 head coaches.

This entire post sums up the mentality that has left us in such a **** situation. It's a loser mentality.

Ohhh we invested too much cant fire him now! Get outta here w/that sunk cost fallacy bull***** Its obvious he isn't the guy. We can either cut bait now or sit here and watch him burn the program down like he did at FSU. EIther way he's getting his money so we may as well move on now.

Also lol at this cant change things up every 5 years. LSU has fired two national title winning coaches since we've been in the SEC and they are already well past us w/their 3rd HC Brian Kelly.

Winners recognize when something isn't working and change it no matter how painful it can be.

Losers sit there and hope for some rain to rise off the ***** Thing is that rain never comes.
AtlAg05
AG
I always thought the Internet was serious business
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.