Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

This board is true entertainment …

12,754 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by WC94
AG81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie said:

You can tell who is new to Aggie football and who is not

Of course a 3-6 record is unacceptable, III give you that

But Texas A&M football is just that. Texas A&M football.
We are a program that has never been a top tier program.
We have flirted with that status a few times but ultimately blowout losses in bowl games or some inexplicable loss kept us looking up at the elite level.
We have had one hit wonder seasons every now and then that temporarily put us on the map.. 2012 and 2020 are perfect examples.
But we have never consistently been a top level program.
Closest we came was under Jackie Sherrill and I do truly believe Sherrill would of won a national title or two in the early 90's had he stayed here.
That was our best opportunity at sustained national success

It didn't happen and we were a regional program in the 90's. Dominated a dying SWC and got railed usually in bowl games again keeping us from moving into the elite status. Moved to Big 12 and again in the 90's had marginal success , won a Big 12 title in 1998 and three years later were in the GalleryFurnitire.com bowl.
We cannot sustain any success

And this has been going on … forever

So some people want to magically think we are Alabama or Georgia or Florida State of the 90's.

We are not , expectations are unrealistic .. again 3-6 is not even close to what should be accepted but the talk of firing Jimbo is laughable to me.
You can't keep hitting the rest button every 5 years

Since 2000 Texas A&M is a .500 conference team.
We are 93-91 in conference games the last 23 seasons.
Under 5 head coaches.
In those 23 seasons only 7 times have we finished at least 2 games over .500 in conference .
Since moving to the SEC, 11 seasons only 3 times have We finished conference play with a winning record

Not advocating accepting mediocrity but we have been an extremely mediocre program for a long long time and have 5 head coaches in the last 20 years.
So why the mob mentality that we need to immediatly fire a head coach that has obviously failed this one season?
Two years ago half this board was ready to proclaim Jimbo the 2nd coming of Christ.

We invested a lot in Jimbo . We invested way too much imo to fire him at this point.
And all of that falls on the people who have him that contract who IMO are the ones whose jobs should be in jeopardy. Don't care how good of a coach you are or how competitive you believe to be. Human natures takes over. Give that person a $90 million guaranteed contract and I'll show you a person that's not near as motivated as the guy he was before that pen hit the paper to sign.

Entertaining all right, as you so eloquently demonstrated. There are at least 10 NFL players with guaranteed money contracts larger than Jimbo's. I double dog dare you to say to their face that they're not as motivated as they were before they signed the contract. Start with Joey Bosa. Let me know how that works out for you.

Yep, entertaining indeed. Laughable even.
Aggie
AG
AG81 said:

Aggie said:

We have flirted with that status a few times but ultimately blowout losses in bowl games or some inexplicable loss kept us looking up at the elite level.
We have had one hit wonder seasons every now and then that temporarily put us on the map.. 2012 and 2020 are perfect examples.
Closest we came was under Jackie Sherrill and I do truly believe Sherrill would of won a national title or two in the early 90's had he stayed here.

It didn't happen and we were a regional program in the 90's. Dominated a dying SWC and got railed usually in bowl games again keeping us from moving into the elite status. Moved to Big 12 and again in the 90's had marginal success , won a Big 12 title in 1998 and three years later were in the GalleryFurnitire.com bowl.

So some people want to magically think we are Alabama or Georgia or Florida State of the 90's.

We are not , expectations are unrealistic .. again 3-6 is not even close to what should be accepted but the talk of firing Jimbo is laughable to me.

Under 5 head coaches.
In those 23 seasons only 7 times have we finished at least 2 games over .500 in conference .
Since moving to the SEC, 11 seasons only 3 times have We finished conference play with a winning record

Not advocating accepting mediocrity but we have been an extremely mediocre program for a long long time and have 5 head coaches in the last 20 years.
So why the mob mentality that we need to immediatly fire a head coach that has obviously failed this one season?
Two years ago half this board was ready to proclaim Jimbo the 2nd coming of Christ.

We invested a lot in Jimbo . We invested way too much imo to fire him at this point.
And all of that falls on the people who have him that contract who IMO are the ones whose jobs should be in jeopardy. Don't care how good of a coach you are or how competitive you believe to be. Human natures takes over. Give that person a $90 million guaranteed contract and I'll show you a person that's not near as motivated as the guy he was before that pen hit the paper to sign.

Entertaining all right, as you so eloquently demonstrated. There are at least 10 NFL players with guaranteed money contracts larger than Jimbo's. I double dog dare you to say to their face that they're not as motivated as they were before they signed the contract. Start with Joey Bosa. Let me know how that works out for you.

Oh you double dog dare me.. lol ok ..Bro

And have they signed those " NFL guaranteed money contracts"
No.. so your example makes no sense.
You think NFL players with multi million dollars guaranteed contracts practice and study and play as hard as college guys?
They don't, that's why most people prefer college to NFL, for the time being.
But we are trying to turn college into the NFL
GW Ag
Aggie said:

Give that person a $90 million guaranteed contract and I'll show you a person that's not near as motivated as the guy he was before that pen hit the paper to sign.

I don't buy that statement for an instant. Jimbo is better than that, he is not lying down just because he is paid well.
I do agree with the rest of your statement. Basically, we have no culture of winning, and until we reach the summit #playingforanatty we will be stuck at 8-4, 9-3. Coaching carousel is not the answer despite how pissed off we are right now.
If, big IF, Jimbo can keep these guys from the portal, we have a winning season next year and are in the conversation for natty 2024.
In Jimbo we trust.
AgBandsman
AG
TexasAggie_97 said:

larry culpepper said:

Who is saying we are top tier? Everyone knows we aren't but we have the potential to be better. And we have every reason in the world to expect better than the dumpster fire Jimbo has created this season.
We have one of the largest stadiums, fan bases and athletic budgets in the nation. We have one of the highest paid coaches in all of football. We just signed the highest class ever and we started the season at #6. If that is not top tier, then please tell me what is.
Oh the irony of you not realizing we cant buy a national championship.
MaxPower
AggieArchitect04 said:

Why does that Sasquatch have uncircumcised peepee thumbs? Very disturbing.
greg.w.h
AG
AgBandsman said:

TexasAggie_97 said:

larry culpepper said:

Who is saying we are top tier? Everyone knows we aren't but we have the potential to be better. And we have every reason in the world to expect better than the dumpster fire Jimbo has created this season.
We have one of the largest stadiums, fan bases and athletic budgets in the nation. We have one of the highest paid coaches in all of football. We just signed the highest class ever and we started the season at #6. If that is not top tier, then please tell me what is.
Oh the irony of you not realizing we cant buy a national championship.
AggieZeroFoxtrot
AG
We pay a lot to see the Aggie Band win...
AG81
AG
Aggie said:

AG81 said:

Aggie said:

Oh you double dog dare me.. lol ok ..Bro

And have they signed those " NFL guaranteed money contracts"
No.. so your example makes no sense.
You think NFL players with multi million dollars guaranteed contracts practice and study and play as hard as college guys?
They don't, that's why most people prefer college to NFL, for the time being.
But we are trying to turn college into the NFL

Would you at least stick to an assertion? First you say someone who has a guaranteed contract isn't as motivated as they were before they signed it. Now you assert NFL players with guaranteed contracts don't practice as hard or play as hard as college players.

Yep, that cognitive dissonance the zoo is famous for truly is entertaining.

Can't WAIT for your next post.
Joe Schilliaci 48
WC94 said:

We suck. We shouldn't suck. We have the best fanbase times infinity
The fallacy of your position is our fan base has a hard time picking up a pass rush and has alligator arms when trying to catch the ball across the middle.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Board is the exact same as it was in 1999.
threemeat
The money keeps flowing in regardless of wins.
Battered.Ag
AG
Aggie said:

. . .

But Texas A&M football is just that. . . .

. . .

We are not , expectations are unrealistic ..

. . .

. . .

We invested a lot in Jimbo . . . .

Such a LOSER mentality.

You don't have to be 'new' here to want more. In fact--as you point out--we've invested a lot in Jimbo, so the expectation of more is also justified. Those expectations are not "unrealistic," and your pathetic mentality doesn't undermine the justification for those expectations.

You couldn't be more correct RE: "we have never been a top tier program."

Sounds like you've made your peace with that... to which i say, 'good for you!!!'

Again, some of us (many of us--and yes, even those that've been around this block before) want more.

sail33or
AG
My premise about Manziel was to show that "OTHER" major programs pick great players. Oregon went after Manzel first not A&M. Look at the good QB's this year. (Tennessee, Ohio State, Bama) (they are from California) A&M gets Max Johnson and Haynes King.

Ohio State first had Ewers. Now Texas has him. He will be good.

Offer the Tennessee QB or Ohio State QB real NIL money because we have seen them play.

Or just offer the entire TCU team an NIL Deal.

But no, A&M gives all their money to JIMBOB. He picks the players on the 3-6 teams. (Soon to be 4-8 team).
DSAG
TexasAggie_97 said:

larry culpepper said:

We now only have to turn all of the above into wins !
We are about to have a 4-8 season having one of the best rosters in college football .
I know we've had injuries , flu , etc. but App. State happened early in the season.
Dumbo gets an F for this season and he is now on probation .
Is he about to squander the #1 all time recruiting class in history ?
The number of top recruits portalling will answer that question .
BJC
AG
RightWingConspirator said:

We're Purdue but somehow fancy ourselves as an Alabama or equivalent. Therein lies the frustration. Every major school within 700 miles of us has won a championship. We're better resourced than most of the teams that experienced far more success than we have. I suspect we can burn an effigy of Jimbo, but the problem lies with the upper brass who chooses coaches, dictates philosophy, etc.
Keep in mind that even Texas Division I-FCS teams near us have had success since 2000:

• Texas State: Southland Conference titles (2008, 2005)
  • Sam Houston State: Division I-FCS national title (2020); WAC title (2021); Southland Conference titles (2020, 2016, 2014, 2012, 2011, 2004, 2001)
  • Prairie View A&M: SWAC title (2009); SWAC West title (2021, 2009)
  • Texas Southern: HBCU Division I football national title (2010); SWAC title (2010), SWAC West title (2010)
  • Incarnate Word: Southland Conference title (2021, 2018)
  • Stephen F. Austin State: Southland Conference titles (2010, 2009)
  • Lamar: No titles but a Division I-FCS playoff at-large bid (2018)

Having the big-name and vast resources are not always going to bring success given that now we have a total of 20 Division I football programs in Texas: 13 in Division I-FBS and seven in Division I-FCS to compete against for potential recruits.
BJC
Texas A&M Aggie Class of '96
Aggie Dad Sip
Aggie said:

Under 5 head coaches.

"Would have won", not "would of won". How in the world do college educated adults continue to get this wrong?
IslanderAg04
We are elite in every tier but one, winning. It's the only tier that matters.
AGDAD14
Good post. The variety of responses give credence to the post. It would be laughable if not so sad. Answer to the root cause question… it all starts with the fanbase thinking we are better than we are. Thinking we deserve better. Well, keep thinking.

Elite?… Only winning titles over and over again makes a program elite… not spending more and more money on shiny new buildings and former student legacies.

It's not rocket science… have the best RB, LB, Safety, and a leader at QB, and DL/OL that can hold their own who love playing together as a TEAM and for their coaches. How many times has that happen in Aggieland? It's not money or 5-star freshman that make this happen… it's relationships and loyalty. Until then we are no better than the other 99%. It's simple, but hard, or else more programs would be elite.

So let's be fanatical about our Fightin' Texas Aggies, but have realistic goals and expectations. Otherwise, we are just a bunch of lunatics.

BTHO tu forever!!!
bigfoot10s
AG
In before the posts stating that you accepting the mediocrity on the message board is the MAIN reason we aren't good.

Happens every year. Texags controls the team.
Turkey
AG
I can't speak for others, but I do not "magically" view A&M as a big dog in football. However, until our level of fan support and financial support from alums/fans drops by a lot (which is very unlikely), I will continue to expect nothing less than double digit win seasons. Expectations of less than this don't make any sense.
WC94
AG
AggieArchitect04 said:

WC94
AG
Smokey!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.