Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Who's Responsible For How A Football Team Executes ???

3,741 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 85AustinAg
maroonthrunthru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you're constantly griping "We just didn't execute…"

Then, in effect, you are saying

1.We're lousy coaches…
Or
2. Our scheme concepts are too intricate for our dumb players to grasp…
Or
3. Our players just don't give a crap, and we're allowing them to fail…

Which is it, Jimbo ???
LMCane
D. All of the above
merch
I'm going to keep saying until some of you begin to get a clue. Could Jimbo be better? Yes. Could the players be better? Yes. Could it be a combination of the two? Yes. Could a new OC, help? Possibly. But laying this all at Jimbos feet is idiotic. Jimbo keeps saying the things the OP says because he isn't going to throw kids under the bus and say:

1. We had a TD drive going and our best player fumbled on the 3 yard line costing us 7 points. That would have been first score of the game, that really hurt. Had right calls there and had players in position. We will stress ball security again.

2. We had another TD drive set up and hit an open receiver in the end zone and Stewart dropped it. Stewart is probably our second best offensive player, that really hurt too. Obviously cost us points. We will stress focus and looking ball into hands again.

3. Didn't take care of football at the end of the half, that costs is points too. We will stress ball security again.

4. Had two potential INTs early, including a gift wrapped pick 6 from perhaps our best defensive player and we just dropped it, that would have been equally huge early but we didn't make the play. We will stress with defensive players again that we need them to catch balls thrown right to them when we get them lined up right and they are coached to be in the right position we gotta coach em up so that they make the last part of that a success by actually catching the ball.

I mean seriously, how many points is that fellas, I can't count that high?

NOPE, he is gonna say any of that, he is gonna keep saying they are close, etc.

The truth is that blame isn't all on Jimbo. That is too simplistic. I get people wanting to find someone to blame. But if we make the plays that were there to be made we win. Most of the time we do and will make those. We just didn't. If you want to lay that all on Jimbo, fine. I just think that I beyond stupid.

Sort of a side note, I get his execution comment and the perfect example of that was the Achane screen pass. Hasn't call a screen entire game. Jimbo catches MSU bringing pressure and sets up screen to our most dynamic player. Pass is complete and Achane has two blockers and tons of space and our center complexity screws up the play. If foster does his job like everybody else did on that play it is likely a TD, or very least a much bigger play. Instead it is a nothing. Do i believe Foster knows what to do? Yes. On this play, he just didn't do it.
Ag_EE_88
AG
The "it's just execution" is the excuse every year regardless of the players. Only thing that is consistent is the coarching.
TxAg76
AG
merch said:

I'm going to keep saying until some of you begin to get a clue. Could Jimbo be better? Yes. Could the players be better? Yes. Could it be a combination of the two? Yes. Could a new OC, help? Possibly. But laying this all at Jimbos feet is idiotic. Jimbo keeps saying the things the OP says because he isn't going to throw kids under the bus and say:

1. We had a TD drive going and our best player fumbled on the 3 yard line costing us 7 points. That would have been first score of the game, that really hurt. Had right calls there and had players in position. We will stress ball security again.

2. We had another TD drive set up and hit an open receiver in the end zone and Stewart dropped it. Stewart is probably our second best offensive player, that really hurt too. Obviously cost us points. We will stress focus and looking ball into hands again.

3. Didn't take care of football at the end of the half, that costs is points too. We will stress ball security again.

4. Had two potential INTs early, including a gift wrapped pick 6 from perhaps our best defensive player and we just dropped it, that would have been equally huge early but we didn't make the play. We will stress with defensive players again that we need them to catch balls thrown right to them when we get them lined up right and they are coached to be in the right position we gotta coach em up so that they make the last part of that a success by actually catching the ball.

The truth is that blame isn't all on Jimbo. That is too simplistic. I get people wanting to find someone to blame. But if we make the plays that were there to be made we win. Most of the time we do and will make those. We just didn't. If you want to lay that all on Jimbo, fine. I just think that I beyond stupid.

Sort of a side note, I get his execution comment and the perfect example of that was the Achane screen pass. Hasn't call a screen entire game. Jimbo catches MSU bringing pressure and sets up screen to our most dynamic player. Pass is complete and Achane has two blockers and tons of space and our center complexity screws up the play. If foster does his job like everybody else did on that play it is likely a TD, or very least a much bigger play. Instead it is a nothing. Do i believe Foster knows what to do? Yes. On this play, he just didn't do it.

Bad time to attempt logic and reason.
When the monkeys in the zoo are all just wanting to fling poo and vent frustrations, they fling it, regardless of what's said
deltazulu
AG
Answering the title of the thread:

The Head Coach

You can delegate authority but you can't delegate responsibility, nor can you blame the personnel that work for you for the failure of your company or team. Responsibility falls directly at the head man's feet whether it's a CEO or a Head Football Coach.

In military terms it means this: if the most junior officer on the ship is at the helm, while the Captain is in the rack, and he runs the ship aground the Captain is fired. 100% of the time. The Captain can't blame the junior officer even if he was negligent. It's on the Captain. Period.
Houstonag
AG
The D did not fill holes at the line of scrimmage. LBs are not attacking the line when the run is obvious. Leach ate our lunch with a run game. Not passing. He knew the weakness of our D line scheme. Just run it straight ahead and maintain contact down field. The arm tackling.
agnatgas
AG
When Coach John McKay of the mid-70s winless Buccaneers was asked of his team's execution, he replied "I'm for it!".
B-1 83
AG
Who was ultimately responsible for your SAT/ACT score? Your High School Principal? Your Superintendent?
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
geoag58
AG
merch said:

Did you look at the offensive stats for the year? That's not because of several plays that didn't go our way. That is because the scheme is not working. He needs to scheme for the personnel he has to be successful, period.
Fight against the dictatorship of the federal bureaucracy!
Marooned1994
merch said:

Thank you for taking the time to type out what I've wanted to say since Saturday.
TexasAggiesWin
S
Going to throw this out there, but if the coach is saying... "we didn't execute"... that is blaming the players.

However, I see that some continue to believe that our abysmal offense is the fault of someone else than Jimbo and the players. Maybe God hates the Ags?
dcg4403
AG
Ok, get your point. I partially agree.

Jimbo is not solely responsible. He is 80% responsible. Feel better?

So lets blame all the 17, 18 and 19 year olds who cannot digest the 50 sheets of offensive plays. Each play takes perfect decision to be executed properly.

Sounds like a great approach. Lets rely on a bunch of kids barely out of HS to be responsible for Jimbos offense being total dog crap.
ashley
It's the responsibility of the head coach to get the players recruited and properly coached. It's his plan game too. To think otherwise is ridiculous.
Agvet12
AG
105 / 131 in total offense

That's not a few plays didn't go our way…. And a good team can overcome those mistakes. A bad team can not.

Edit to add - without Achane this team would be the worst in total offense / scoring for FBS. He is our offense roughly this year
90ags
Fumbling, missed blocking assignments, missed gaps, and not catching the ball....that happens, but that's poor execution on the players regardless of any scheme. Even in Sumlin's air raid one note card offense...those were still poor execution on the players when it happened as such (even though advanced SEC defenses thought it was an easy Off scheme to defend and all the A&M fans were complaining about that at the time).

No win scenario....

______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
Ian Neff
AG
merch said:

Post of the year.
Ian Neff
AG
B-1 83 said:

Who was ultimately responsible for your SAT/ACT score? Your High School Principal? Your Superintendent?

Damn this is a good point too.
TyperWoods
Executes?

The players.
T264
AG
Simply put….. if Jimbo is responsible for when they actually do execute- then he is damn sure responsible when they don't
Ian Neff
AG
T264 said:

Simply put….. if Jimbo is responsible for when they actually do execute- then he is damn sure responsible when they don't

Like Sumlin with JFF. Got it.
Ian Neff
AG
At the same time, Jocko is right.

When you're the CEO; it's all yours. All of it.
Whaler
AG
merch said:

I agree. It wasn't just a few plays, either. There were 4 or 5 plays that absolutely cost us points, at least 3 that prevented touchdowns. If just a couple went as we'd expect, it changes the whole complexion of the game. Not to mention the 10-15 more minor mistakes… For instance, Foster is an outstanding young center, but how many low, crappy snaps did he have that throw off the whole play from the start?

Yes, Jimbo is the head coach and if you want to say the buck stops with him, well that's a very simplistic view. Jimbo doesn't win games by himself, it takes a team effort. Saturday, there was enough blame to go around for the entire team.
AGDAD14
C'mon man… this ain't rocket science. Execution… at every level of sports, there are players who practice great, but can't perform when the lights come on! There ain't no coaching that can fix that.
Cojack
I posted on this previously, Jimbo should be banned from using this word until he understands it's meaning an how to execute.
SABUILDERAG
Did all of these players suck this bad in high school?

If so, Jimbo's fault for signing them

If not, Jimbo's fault that they suck now.

Simple.
levypantsEOY
Ian Neff said:

B-1 83 said:

Damn this is a good point too.

No it isn't.

What if you had an SAT tutor who you paid huge bucks to (the most expensive tutor in the country) whose students scored poorly every year, despite the tutor showing confidence in their projected scores before the tests?
And what if these same students were the top of the class going in, on every academic honor roll, and then they all still scored poorly every year for five years under this tutor?
Yeah the students didn't execute.
WHY IS THAT??
Jack Friday
https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3325670

These consistently pi$$-poor offensive stats aren't just "a few plays here and there". This is the result of a deplorable scheme, awful coaching along with failed execution...Good teams and good coaches execute. PERIOD
GigEmReggie
It's weird how the good coaches almost always have players who execute well.
Bobaloo
I've never seen a great team that was poorly coached. I've seen some good teams without exceptional talent but never the other way around. This team is not well coached. The numbers thread for both O and D are really damning.
AgBandsman
AG
How many of yall have been a part of a team who's coach blamed himself after losses? I'm pretty sure every coach on every team addresses the players after a loss by showing all the missed executions.

Please someone show me how I'm wrong and that coaches do in fact tell the players they all executed well, but lost because of coaching.
Propane & Accessories
AG
Execution, I'm in favor of it.
TAMUworkingAG
SABUILDERAG said:

Did all of these players suck this bad in high school?

If so, Jimbo's fault for signing them

If not, Jimbo's fault that they suck now.

Simple.
this is a good angle, does make sense.
mustang1234
we need to rob the transfer portal for a new O-Line coach and a new DC.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Sink or swim, Jimbo still gets paid $100M anyway, whether he wins NC and SEC titles with us or gets canned in 2-3 years.

There's no financial incentive for him to care. Which is why guaranteed contracts with no incentive for success are completely ******ed. If he were concerned about leaving $50M on his contract and settle for a smaller buyout to not coach for us, he might be a little more concerned about trying to fix his team.

In fact, there is kind of an incentive to get canned and retire in 2-3 years. He gets the money anyway, he just probably would want to find a ranch a little further from College Station.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.