Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Worst TAMU teams?

7,039 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AG81
turfman80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
From teams I actually saw play: 1970, followed by 2003. Brutal...
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
Dr. Tinkle
The talent is higher on this team, but the coaching job has been brutally painful to watch. I have never seen coaches this unwilling to change in the midst of clearly not working out.
schmellba99
AG
Barnacle said:

Theat 95-96 team that lost to ULM/USL were the ones who started us on this permanent mediocrity path (minus a handful of blips to keep us coming back for more).

They maybe weren't as bad as others but the contrast between them and where we'd been playing under RC was jarring...they finally exposed the weaknesses in the program that we somehow always managed to overcome in previous seasons.

It started long vefore '95-'96. Long before.
AgfromHOU
AG
deadbq03 said:

2011 isn't close to worst. Might actually be one of the better teams. Gobs of talent. There wasn't a single game where we should've just stayed homeā€¦ by that I mean that the team absolutely belonged on the same field as every opponent and should have won a whole lot more games. Lord knows what happened at halftime, but they simply couldn't finish games out.

2003, 2005, and 2008 are abominations.

Someone on the team told me that the coaches never made adjustments at half and just told them to keep doing what they were doing. The whole season.
robcovol
The worst Aggie loss I can remember, and I'm dating myself, was in 1972 against Army, 24-14. By itself, this loss was so bad (for me) because Army was coming off of a 77-7 thrashing to Nebraska.
aggiejim70
AG
robcovol said:

The worst Aggie loss I can remember, and I'm dating myself, was in 1972 against Army, 24-14. By itself, this loss was so bad (for me) because Army was coming off of a 77-7 thrashing to Nebraska.
Yep, the worst loss and the worst going back to work Monday ever. That includes several Mondays after Thanksgiving. I was in the Army when we lost to Army.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
LMCane
as badly as you guys can feel- is it better to have never won a national championship in the last 6 decades and be bad..

or better to have won 5 national championships since 1983 and then have 20 years of sucking?

you are currently in a better position than Miami is- because I can remember us dominating the entire world of college football:

and now we have been putrid for most of the last two decades.
HoustonAg2021
LMCane said:

as badly as you guys can feel- is it better to have never won a national championship in the last 6 decades and be bad..

or better to have won 5 national championships since 1983 and then have 20 years of sucking?

you are currently in a better position than Miami is- because I can remember us dominating the entire world of college football:

A single national championship would go a long way. We didn't win it in 1939 we were voted for it.
TAMU74
AG
robcovol said:

I remember being at that game. It was embarrassing.
Army's helmets were colored gold and I remember my roommate saying you would've thought we were playing Notre Dame.
You wanna talk about bad Aggie football teams. The late 60s through the early 70s were as bad as it probably got in Aggie football history.
I know there were some horrible teams back in the late 50s and through most of the 60s after Bear Bryant left.
If you were an Aggie back at that time, now that was sufferingā€¦ and very few women.
Pumpkinhead
AG
By what metric are we saying 'worst'?

If it is by using an R.O.I. metric given the level of financial resources and commitment invested ...this season if it ends up at 7-5 or worse (some might even argue even if 8-4) will be up there as one of the worst of all time (possibly in the #1 spot).

It is arguably a much worst feeling when you paid for a 9-figure mega yacht and then it sinks than say if you had bought a medium size fishing boat.
Mac94
AG
I so hope 2022 isn't in the same boat as 2003 and 2008. The only thing with those two years is that they were year 1 of new coaching staffs .... it sucked but being first year with all the change gave some explanation (except 77-0).

We are in year FIVE of Jimbo (with a national debt level buyout) and if we're fielding a team that can be compared to those two then we are in deep deep DEEP you know what.
Batman96
2022 is worst offense I can remembere
FlyingAg
AG
The Green Dragon said:

That you can remember?

Those post-Johnny sumlin teams were bad. 2011 was a dog **** season. Fran had some bad ones. This team is laden with talent, but zero direction and zero leadership.

As someone who grew up watching football in Texas none compare to the post Stallings era of the 60s and 70s. When you thought it was a big deal just to beat tu it was bad. It was Jackie Sherrill who changed all that but the *******s in the Houston and Dallas media didn't like their "darling" little sips get their ass whipped every year so they ganged up to run him off
Some of those seasons really sucked big time.
No way are we going back to those days so best to suck it up and keep pushing to get better. We'll get there if we dont do something really stupid like fire the HC out of impatience. Remember it was years after a young Stallings was fired from A&M that he came back to Alabama to win a NC.
[i][b]Time to bring back the Wrecking Crew![/i][/b]
MD20/20
AG
I'd have to go with 2003 and also, Jackie's first year (1982 I think) was god awful ending with a soul killing beat down in Austin in miserable weather to end the year. Unlike Fran, Jackie redeemed himself by curb stomping those bast***s annually.
Cooter Brown is my designated driver.
W
AG
2008 was worse than 2003.

Fran played a brutal schedule in year one -- especially on the road:

at OU (12-2)
at Nebraska (10-3)
t.u. (10-3)
Oklahoma St (9-4)
at Tech (8-5)
at Missouri (8-5)
Pittsburgh (8-5)
at Virginia Tech (8-5)

and the Ags actually beat Utah (10-2) and Urban Meyer. The Utes finished at #21
DR.ZAP
AG
fightintxaggie10 said:

This current team would beat the 2008 team 60-0.

That was the worst team ever.
I remember going to Waco to see the Baylor game with my dad (a Baylor Alumnus) and thinking, "It's Baylor, we got this..."

I was a senior in high school, and had just made the (correct) decision to attend A&M over Baylor. I wanted that win badly... so of course we get curb-stomped by an eventual 4-8 team. Obviously expectations are much higher now and mediocre just isn't good enough - I sure would have taken mediocre that evening, though!
Barnacle
AG
schmellba99 said:

Barnacle said:

Theat 95-96 team that lost to ULM/USL were the ones who started us on this permanent mediocrity path (minus a handful of blips to keep us coming back for more).

They maybe weren't as bad as others but the contrast between them and where we'd been playing under RC was jarring...they finally exposed the weaknesses in the program that we somehow always managed to overcome in previous seasons.

It started long vefore '95-'96. Long before.
For sure but there was a nice hiatus with the Jackie and early RC years for some of us Gen Xers to get lulled into thinking winning conference championships was the norm. That '95 team just brought back down to reality with the rest of the former students.
Showstopper
AG
Gen X is definitely the most blessed Aggie generation. We thought we had it rough because we lost a lot of bowl games. As Aggie plights go, that is pretty mild. Millennials have the Johnny years which was a higher high but didn't last too long.

Greatest generation had it rough.
The Porkchop Express
BigDave21 said:

LMCane said:

A single national championship would go a long way. We didn't win it in 1939 we were voted for it.
I wouldn't care if we lost 100 games in a row after winning a national title. Every Saturday I'd just revisit a game from the title season and smile.

But we can't even get in the SEC title game, so winning a natty at this point is like waking up every day thinking you're going to climb Mt Everest when your knees hurt walking up a flight of stairs.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
HoustonAg2021
True. We have literally nothing to hang out hat on. Still hunting for something relevant
wisdom
AG
GetGIGgyWithIt
This one is the worst
TyperWoods
infinity ag said:

Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

team that lost 77-0 vs OU and could have been 100-0.

Yes. 0-77 was in THREE quarters. Could have easily gone to 0-100 if OU wanted to further rub our sorry noses into the mud.

That was bad. People forget OU smoked tu that year too, something like 56-0.
fightintxaggie10
AG
2008 was the worst team post 1980 at least. Sherman's first year, but I place blame solely on Fran.
CyberWCM
1964 looks pretty wretched.
rsemingson
1964(my fish year)
1-9 under Hank Folberg
3-7 Gene Stallings
4-5-1 Gene Stallings
AG
1996.... we won the conference championship 2 years later!
"Aggies don't lie, cheat, or steal, nor do they tolerate those who do!" - Aggie Code of Honor
turboboost
AG
Batman96 said:

2022 is worst offense I can remembere

If you trying to ride the wave you should be afraid that you don't drown in it! Put the Ag surfboard up this year. Bunch of sharks in this ocean of despair.
Mac94
AG
TyperWoods said:

infinity ag said:

Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

team that lost 77-0 vs OU and could have been 100-0.

Yes. 0-77 was in THREE quarters. Could have easily gone to 0-100 if OU wanted to further rub our sorry noses into the mud.

That was bad. People forget OU smoked tu that year too, something like 56-0.

65 to 13 technically, lol
Aggie2
TAMU74 said:

New Army, you don't know what suffering is. You have no idea.
In my 4 years A&M football NEVER had a winning season....NEVER.
My Freshman year I do recall we went 2-9.
After that, w/o googling, I think we were 5-6, 3-8, 5-6.
A&M was considered one of the "Bottom Ten" teams in American during that time. Think about that.
The only bright spot is that we did hire Emory Bellard after the my sophomore season and he got us on the path that has lead us where we are today.
So as bad as you might think it is today, believe me it can and has been much worst.
You want to talk suffering...go find any Old Army Ag for some insight on that topic.
Blackie Sherrod called College Station "Malfunction Junction". Even though it hurt it was a LMAO moment. He included basketball with it.
SA-AG72
AG
My college years, 1968 - 1972
AG81
AG
Aggie2 said:

TAMU74 said:

New Army, you don't know what suffering is. You have no idea.
In my 4 years A&M football NEVER had a winning season....NEVER.
My Freshman year I do recall we went 2-9.
After that, w/o googling, I think we were 5-6, 3-8, 5-6.
A&M was considered one of the "Bottom Ten" teams in American during that time. Think about that.
The only bright spot is that we did hire Emory Bellard after the my sophomore season and he got us on the path that has lead us where we are today.
So as bad as you might think it is today, believe me it can and has been much worst.
You want to talk suffering...go find any Old Army Ag for some insight on that topic.
Blackie Sherrod called College Station "Malfunction Junction". Even though it hurt it was a LMAO moment. He included basketball with it.

He was right. We were terrible across the board. New Army doesn't have a clue.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.