Story Poster
Photo by Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Punter Nik Constantinou named SEC Special Teams Player of the Week

September 19, 2022

The punter from Down Under.

Nik Constantinou was tabbed Southeastern Conference Special Teams Player of the Week on Monday for his contributions to Texas A&M’s 17-9 win over Miami.

The Australian native was called upon six times on Saturday night and averaged 44.33 yards a punt — totaling 266 yards with a long of 57 and pinning the Hurricanes inside their 10 on three occasions. His fourth kick trapped Miami on their own 1-yard line.

Collectively, A&M’s special teams dominated the Canes. Miami lost a fumble on a punt return and missed back-to-back field goal attempts in the first half with Albert Regis blocking the second. They were also held to -3 return yards.

“Our special teams did a good job,” head coach Jimbo Fisher said postgame. “That's what good teams do. They find ways to scratch it out. We found a way to do it.”

This is Constantinou’s second POTW honors of his career, the first coming after landing all four of his punts inside the 20 against New Mexico last September.

Through the first three games this year, he has now covered 618 yards.

The 2021 Second Team All-SEC Special Teams recipient led the conference and was top-10 nationally last season for averaging 46.61 yards per punt. In July, he was also named to the Ray Guy Award Watch List and the only Aggie on the Preseason Media All-SEC First Team.

Discussion from...

Punter Nik Constantinou named SEC Special Teams Player of the Week

2,276 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Batman96
ColoAg95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Great job!
TAMU74
AG
One hell of a weapon.
Batman96
This was very much deserved!

I caught myself thinking during this game that I don't know if I've ever seen an NFL punter do this good of a job.

He stuck three field goals within the 10 yard line during a short stretch and two of them were within the 5 yard line.

Unbelievable!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.