Story Poster
Texas A&M Football Recruiting

2023 Atascocita DL Samu Taumanupepe commits to Texas A&M

August 1, 2022

Texas A&M has added to their 2023 recruiting class in a big way today as massive defensive tackle Samu Taumanupepe‍ recently gave his verbal commitment to Jimbo Fisher and the Aggies.

The Atascocita product chooses A&M over offers from Oregon, Texas, Miami, TCU and many others. 

At 6-foot-3, 365 pounds, Taumanupepe provides something different along the star-studded Texas A&M defensive front. He’s a true interior player that uses his size and raw power to anchor in, eat up space and overwhelm blockers. But, perhaps the most impressive aspect of his game is his short area quickness. The kid can really fire off the football and change direction, and that facet of his game should only improve as he continues to remold his body.

You can view his junior highlight tape below.

Overall, Samu is Texas A&M’s ninth verbal commitment in the 2023 class. 

Stay tuned. We’ll have more soon for TexAgs Premium subscribers.

Discussion from...

2023 Atascocita DL Samu Taumanupepe commits to Texas A&M

15,535 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Shoefly!
Gord89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Boom!!
AgBQ-00
AG
Whoop!!
Leander - Ag
rangerdanger
AG
So badass he comes with his own potentially sensitive content warning...
AgOutsideAustin
AG
There's the beef !
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

There's the beef !

And the gristle
FtBendTxAg
AG
This dude has the potential to move up to 4* territory this season fo sho
jigsaw87
Just Tired
first commit pic in a houston coogs shirt?
Lake08
"Brings his lunch pale to work"
"Student of the game"
Ag in ATL
AG
Immovable object.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
That's a big ol' boy there! He's gonna need his own heard of cattle to eat during his tenure at A&M.
taylorswift13
AG
He has the letters TAMU in his last name… it was meant to be
NathanChristie
AG
Gord89 said:

Boom!!
BOOM BOOM imho. That's a big dude.
J-Licious
AG
If Jimbo wants him, then I assume he is good, but watching the first 2 minutes of his tape, I really don't seem him getting off blocks like I would expect an exceptional athlete to do in high school.
J-Licious
AG
J-Licious said:

If Jimbo wants him, then I assume he is good, but watching the first 2 minutes of his tape, I really don't seem him getting off blocks like I would expect an exceptional athlete to do in high school.
just looked him up on Rivals and he is our lowest rated player (excluding the kicker)...still has me puzzled but hoping they get the potential out of him!
Ags77
AG
Don't love some of his tape. He plays too high for my liking, but he does play hard.

One thing about "space eaters" like this youngster, they can have LONG careers. There's always a premium for big guys in the middle that eat up blockers and allow their LBers to play free. Kind of like left handers that can throw strikes.

I trust Jimbo.
Papa Joe
AG
Dude is ready to saw them off!
He is Ass My Dude
taylorswift13
AG
Vince Wilfork
Aggie1188
J-Licious said:

He looks fairly decent….might can use some more strength development for his punch, but in some cases he is playing run-defense where you hold your gap until you see where the ball is going. His feet are not slow. And he is huge. I think this is a good take. He may need a year or two of development, but he's got the potential.
taylorswift13
AG
Aggie1188 said:

J-Licious said:

He looks fairly decent….might can use some more strength development for his punch, but in some cases he is playing run-defense where you hold your gap until you see where the ball is going. His feet are not slow. And he is huge. I think this is a good take. He may need a year or two of development, but he's got the potential.
exactly and given that he's lost around 40 pounds from last season shows he has the work ethic and determination. He has one more year of high school ball and most likely a red shirt year behind the best recruited defensive line in history. Which is also a reason why we can afford to take some projects that have potential!
SpiderM85
AG
Next in line
The Agly Duckling
Awesome! Welcome to Aggieland, Samu!
Class of 65
AG
Pail
Houstonag
AG
Welcome aboard.
WC94
AG
He's going to be a beast when his trims down to tree fiddy!
BeastmodeAg
AG
That's a big boy for a junior in highschool, not sure why stars matter on this young man. Good luck running through him.
TAM85
NoahAg
Convert to fullback?

Let's go, Brandon!
TAMU74
AG
Welcome aboard Samu.
AggieBlu
AG
Polynesian kid too. Straight beast!
I will never understand how someone can tell so many lies and not feel bad about it...
Shoefly!
AG
J-Licious said:

J-Licious said:

just looked him up on Rivals and he is our lowest rated player (excluding the kicker)...still has me puzzled but hoping they get the potential out of him!

Thanks for your analysis coach, are you one of the dudes that complained about Bobby Brown not being up to the standards of the TexAgs Armchair QB Club?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.