Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

If the ACC folds, I can see Notre Dame

8,590 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TXAGBQ76
tex 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to the SEC. This all assumes ND is forced by circumstances (such as two super-conferences) to give up their independence.
I know a lot of y'all don't want it. But it's the same as everyone who didn't want t.u. in the SEC. Those brands are worth an enormous amount of money, therefore, even though it's in Indiana, if ND asked to join, the SEC powers that be would jump on ND like kids on a trampoline. And besides Indiana is contiguous with the SEC via KY, and arguably we already have a Midwest team in Mizzou.
I know the B1G seems like the obvious choice for ND, but if it's so obvious, why did they partner with the ACC instead of B1G? Evidently, there is a lot of documented bad blood between ND and the B1G going back for decades. And I've not seen anything that makes me think they'll put that aside yet. Granted, money trumps all, so I'm not saying they'll never join the B1G. It's just that knowing the history, it's not implausible to see them in the SEC, and at this point we have the most money anyway.
Brutal Puffin
AG
Uhh, Duck Notre Fame?
sbag
AG
Is nothing sacred? Then it wouldn't be the Southeastern conference anymore. Adding OU andf tu was a big stretch. They aren't southeastern schools.

College football is systematically being ruined. Death by a thousand cuts.
JBGoode
AG
ND partnered with ACC last time because ACC let them set the terms.

SEC won't eff with them if they want anything special. If they have anything squirrely in mind, take it to the B1G.
JBGoode
AG
sbag said:

Adding OU andf tu was a big stretch. They aren't southeastern schools.

Oh that 100 miles between Austin and CS makes all the difference.
20ag07
Quote:

Is nothing sacred? Then it wouldn't be the Southeastern conference anymore. Adding OU andf tu was a big stretch.
Bahahahhah.

Go say that one to yourself one more time with a straight face.
LostInTheSchloss
AG
Not happening.
aggiehawg
AG
The NBC deal for ND's home games is ending soon. What does Swarbrick do? Fold their rights into the ACC Network and then take a larger revenue share? Because if the ACC wants to keep ND, I see disparate distributions to be on the table.
JBGoode
AG
aggiehawg said:

The NBC deal for ND's home games is ending soon. What does Swarbrick do? Fold their rights into the ACC Network and then take a larger revenue share? Because if the ACC wants to keep ND, I see disparate distributions to be on the table.

Best to just steer clear of ND. Push will have to come to shove for them. The B1G should add Oregon and Washington and just keep going about their business. You're a fool to wait on ND, they'll just keep you in shutdown while they have their cake and eat it too.

Move on. Force ND's hand. Or not. Jimmy Crack Corn.
20ag07
Quote:

The NBC deal for ND's home games is ending soon. What does Swarbrick do? Fold their rights into the ACC Network and then take a larger revenue share?
NOPE.

Bc that would be exactly what the ACC schools who want a better deal than what they're getting, could use to break their bad deal open.

ESPN, who's in bed with the ACC, is not moving ND, who they aren't in bed with, into the ACC. Without breaking it all open.

And…people have spent lots of months running numbers on breaking it all open.
aggiehawg
AG
What does "breaking it all open" look like? The GOR?
GoldenGun00
AG
Due to geography and culture, Indiana is sometimes called the South's middle finger.
greg.w.h
AG
He is anticipating a look-in clause if they add a valuable team.
aggiehawg
AG
greg.w.h said:

He is anticipating a look-in clause if they add a valuable team.
And we come back to what is the perceived "value added" if TV markets are not the major metric, anymore?

I understand how half to three quarters of a million viewers across the country for a streaming service could have such an added value to them.

USC may be a national brand but have not been relevant since Pete Carroll. UCLA is better known for basketball and that was decades ago. (Although I did enjoy the Rout 66 game in Austin in 1997.)
greg.w.h
AG
The Altimore Collins presentation that was shared here is the best proxy for new incremental value. I think they inflate fan base size a bit (they're averaging a potentially unreliable trailing indicator…past results and future performance, blah, blah, blah.

Their top ten were Ohio State (avg college football fan base size 11.26 million), ND (8.22m), Texas (7.82m), Penn State (6.36m), Michigan (6.26m), Florida (5.89m), Oregon (5.54m), Bama (5.34m), Wisconsin (4.57m), SC (4.46m).

The next five (LSU, Georgia, A&M, Syracuse, Auburn, Tennessee have avg fan base sizes of 4.03m down to 3.2 with A&M a healthy but more modest 3.87m.) Some of the value is still regional, some is conference relationships (again a form of regionally but distinct), but this fan base avg might best predict over-the-top streaming power.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

The next five (LSU, Georgia, A&M, Syracuse, Auburn, Tennessee have avg fan base sizes of 4.03m down to 3.2 with A&M a healthy but more modest 3.87m.) Some of the value is still regional, some is conference relationships (again a form of regionally but distinct), but this fan base avg might best predict over-the-top streaming power.
So not network TV, streaming value? Completely out of my depth on how that ca be calculated for monetization. I assume advertising component?
greg.w.h
AG
Streaming is incremental right now. But how do you predict if/when it moves to foundational. The big media services have attempted to avoid cannibalizing the simpler broadcast-style delivery of their media packages and that where the power of in-footprint basic (or extended but baseline) service subs. Cable cutting threatens that, but it also burdens Internet delivery with lots of traffic.

In 2012 Netflix was estimated at one-third of all internet traffic in the US at least at some times during the day with a combination of standard definition and high definition content. In 2018 they dropped to 15% but I haven't seen estimates during Covid. (This article frames the growth without address proportion of traffic. But it also includes a commitment by Netflix to reduce internet traffic in Europe and India: https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/netflix-streaming-hits-all-time-highs-coronavirus-1203543218/#!)
Dilettante
What percentage of that decrease is Netflix losing market share? Things like YouTube and the other streaming services have made up a lot of ground since then.
aggiehawg
AG
greg.w.h said:

Streaming is incremental right now. But how do you predict if/when it moves to foundational. The big media services have attempted to avoid cannibalizing the simpler broadcast-style delivery of their media packages and that where the power of in-footprint basic (or extended but baseline) service subs. Cable cutting threatens that, but it also burdens Internet delivery with lots of traffic.

In 2012 Netflix was estimated at one-third of all internet traffic in the US at least at some times during the day with a combination of standard definition and high definition content. In 2018 they dropped to 15% but I haven't seen estimates during Covid. (This article frames the growth without address proportion of traffic. But it also includes a commitment by Netflix to reduce internet traffic in Europe and India: https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/netflix-streaming-hits-all-time-highs-coronavirus-1203543218/#!)
Thank you for that informational response. Since we live out in the boonies, internet and even cell service can be spotty at times and when the internet goes down it can be out for minutes, hours or days. Even hot spots on our smartphones are affected to some degree as usage in the area goes up beyond expected parameters.. Has gotten better the last few years but streaming services just don't make that much financial sense under those circumstances.

Really appreciate the help to better understand.

I'm very unfamiliar with how those work or don't work.
Aggieair
tex 93 said:

Going to the SEC. This all assumes ND is forced by circumstances (such as two super-conferences) to give up their independence.
I know a lot of y'all don't want it. But it's the same as everyone who didn't want t.u. in the SEC. Those brands are worth an enormous amount of money, therefore, even though it's in Indiana, if ND asked to join, the SEC powers that be would jump on ND like kids on a trampoline. And besides Indiana is contiguous with the SEC via KY, and arguably we already have a Midwest team in Mizzou.
I know the B1G seems like the obvious choice for ND, but if it's so obvious, why did they partner with the ACC instead of B1G? Evidently, there is a lot of documented bad blood between ND and the B1G going back for decades. And I've not seen anything that makes me think they'll put that aside yet. Granted, money trumps all, so I'm not saying they'll never join the B1G. It's just that knowing the history, it's not implausible to see them in the SEC, and at this point we have the most money anyway.
If the ACC folds, it's because their last hope (Notre Dame) joined the Big Ten.

As to why they partnered with the ACC, that's easy. It's because the ACC was that desperate. Notre Dame is like Texas. They tried approaching the B1G before, and wanted either partial membership for a scheduling agreement, or that they could keep their additional media deal with NBC on top of conference revenue. The B1G told them to pound sand, just like the SEC would. The ACC however, was foolish enough to take them up on it.

That way Notre Dame got to keep its own TV network, and schedule a weak enough schedule to waltz into the BCS/CFP/NY6 every year.

And here's something to see that should make you think they'll put that aside- the B1G is estimated to be distributing $80M-100M per school in their next media deal with the additions of USC/UCLA. Notre Dame gets $15M per year from NBC, and $10M per year from the ACC as a partial member currently.
sbag said:

Are A&M and Missouri southeastern schools?
aggiehawg
AG
Land grant schools.

Showstopper
AG
33 said:

sbag said:

Are A&M and Missouri southeastern schools?
Yes. The Southeastern United States ends at Dime Box. You guys were so close!

No on Missouri. We would send them back to the Big XII but Hyman lost the receipt.
Aggieair
FWIW, Greg Flugaur, is posting on Minnesota 24/7 that Miami's regents are investigating a way to buy themselves out of the the ACC GoR early.

Also FWIW, this guy called out USC all the way back in March and said they were interested in the B1G's new media deal.
bryanw1995
AG
sbag said:

Is nothing sacred? Then it wouldn't be the Southeastern conference anymore. Adding OU andf tu was a big stretch. They aren't southeastern schools.

College football is systematically being ruined. Death by a thousand cuts.

I wish we could all travel to football games via horse and buggy the way my great granpappy used to.
bryanw1995
AG
Aggieair said:

tex 93 said:

As to why they partnered with the ACC, that's easy. It's because the ACC was that desperate. Notre Dame is like Texas. They tried approaching the B1G before, and wanted either partial membership for a scheduling agreement, or that they could keep their additional media deal with NBC on top of conference revenue. The B1G told them to pound sand, just like the SEC would. The ACC however, was foolish enough to take them up on it.

That way Notre Dame got to keep its own TV network, and schedule a weak enough schedule to waltz into the BCS/CFP/NY6 every year.

And here's something to see that should make you think they'll put that aside- the B1G is estimated to be distributing $80M-100M per school in their next media deal with the additions of USC/UCLA. Notre Dame gets $15M per year from NBC, and $10M per year from the ACC as a partial member currently.
Keep in mind that ND's broadcast rights are up for renewal in 2025. They will make a windfall from that…the way I look at it is that ND has strong bargaining power with potential broadcast partners and it's clearly worth more by itself than the avg SEC or B1G team. However, a strong conference has more clout than one very strong school in negotiations, so maybe cut their value down to 1/2 to 2/3 if going solo vs in a conference.

Just spitballing here but I think you could make an argument that their current broadcast value is around $100m. So they could get $50-$66m, plus the extra $7m from ACC, in their new rights deal. They'll time deal to end around the same time SEC ACC and B1G deals end, giving them maximum flexibility when the next NEXT round of realignment rolls around.

Considering how much they value their independence, I think that puts them close enough to parity with B1G and SEC schools that they will do it.
greg.w.h
AG
Zero percent of the decrease was their traffic decreasing through 2020. It was increase in overall, national traffic across all providers.
greg.w.h
AG
Jack Swarbrick acknowledged they would make more money by joining a conference, but they value their independence and the deal with NBC gives them similar prominence to that the SEC weekly matchup on CBS gave our league. Tons of visibility and very effective outreach to their fans and those that support their church.

It's very difficult to guess if they have a number at which they can be bought. But it spreads that they may value other things in their calculus.
Aggieair
bryanw1995 said:

Aggieair said:

tex 93 said:

Keep in mind that ND's broadcast rights are up for renewal in 2025. They will make a windfall from that…the way I look at it is that ND has strong bargaining power with potential broadcast partners and it's clearly worth more by itself than the avg SEC or B1G team. However, a strong conference has more clout than one very strong school in negotiations, so maybe cut their value down to 1/2 to 2/3 if going solo vs in a conference.

Just spitballing here but I think you could make an argument that their current broadcast value is around $100m. So they could get $50-$66m, plus the extra $7m from ACC, in their new rights deal. They'll time deal to end around the same time SEC ACC and B1G deals end, giving them maximum flexibility when the next NEXT round of realignment rolls around.

Considering how much they value their independence, I think that puts them close enough to parity with B1G and SEC schools that they will do it.
I don't think they can get on their own anywhere near what the B1G is offering. My understanding is that the NBC deal is only for 5 home games a year. Even if NBC agrees to pay them $10M+ per home game, which is about what your numbers would require, they're still going to fall significantly short of the $80M-100M that the B1G is projected to get.

Not to mention, Notre Dame would be relegating themselves to continue playing the likes of Boston College, Wake Forest, Virginia, Duke, etc., when they could be earning a lot more playing marquee matchups against the likes of Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, Wisconsin, Penn St, etc. It's the same reason that OU and tu's media rights are worth a lot more when they're playing SEC teams as opposed to when they're playing Big 12 teams.

Plus, Notre Dame has been a perennial underachiever for over two decades now. Another decade of being a perennial underachiever as an independent is not going to help Notre Dame's brand. The B1G could add Oregon and Washington now, and decide they no longer need Notre Dame by the time the late 2030's roll around.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Plus, Notre Dame has been a perennial underachiever for over two decades now. Another decade of being a perennial underachiever as an independent is not going to help Notre Dame's brand. The B1G could add Oregon and Washington now, and decide they no longer need Notre Dame by the time the late 2030's roll around.
I can't even remember the new coach's name?
20ag07
Quote:

No on Missouri. We would send them back to the Big XII but Hyman lost the receipt.
Hyman didn't do a damn thing. You meant Loftin, who turned around and cashed that receipt at Mizzou.
OKC~Ag
greg.w.h said:

The Altimore Collins presentation that was shared here is the best proxy for new incremental value. I think they inflate fan base size a bit (they're averaging a potentially unreliable trailing indicator…past results and future performance, blah, blah, blah.

Their top ten were Ohio State (avg college football fan base size 11.26 million), ND (8.22m), Texas (7.82m), Penn State (6.36m), Michigan (6.26m), Florida (5.89m), Oregon (5.54m), Bama (5.34m), Wisconsin (4.57m), SC (4.46m).

Here is an Si article in regards to ND and what their potential options...

ND likely remain independent as long as they can be viable... if not then join Big 10...

Interesting stats of TV rating...I guess # fan doesn't necessarily equate to TV rating. Perhaps another reason to get rid of playing smaller schools like sam Houstons of the college world and only schedule peer schools.

Quote:

In numbers that resonate with TV executives, Notre Dame ranks eighth in the number of non-bowl/playoff games watched in recent seasons by at least three million people, per Sports Media Watch. The Irish had a total of 16 games with three million or more viewers in 2018, '19 and '21 (tossing 2020 numbers due to the disparity in number of games played across the nation). That ranks behind only Alabama (26), Ohio State (25), Georgia (22), Michigan (22), Oklahoma (22), Penn State (19) and LSU (18). It's worth noting that every school ahead of Notre Dame on the list is a current or future member of the Big Ten or SEC. And the next four after the Irish are, as well (Auburn, Wisconsin, Florida and Texas A&M).

https://www.si.com/college/2022/07/04/college-sports-is-waiting-for-signs-from-notre-dame-but-independent-irish-can-afford-to-wait
alamogeorge
AG
Click bait thread title.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
bryanw1995
AG
Aggieair said:

bryanw1995 said:

Aggieair said:

tex 93 said:

I don't think they can get on their own anywhere near what the B1G is offering. My understanding is that the NBC deal is only for 5 home games a year. Even if NBC agrees to pay them $10M+ per home game, which is about what your numbers would require, they're still going to fall significantly short of the $80M-100M that the B1G is projected to get.

Not to mention, Notre Dame would be relegating themselves to continue playing the likes of Boston College, Wake Forest, Virginia, Duke, etc., when they could be earning a lot more playing marquee matchups against the likes of Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, Wisconsin, Penn St, etc. It's the same reason that OU and tu's media rights are worth a lot more when they're playing SEC teams as opposed to when they're playing Big 12 teams.

ND has been to the playoffs twice in 6 yrs, which is twice more than we have. Who's the underachiever here?

As an independent, why couldn't they sign a 7 home games per season contract instead of 5? And $8m per game x 7 games is $56m, or $9m per game x 6 = $54m, plus the $7m from ACC...again, it's not "new" B1G or SEC money but at $60m+ it's a heck of a lot better than everyone else and also preserves their treasured independence.

Now, for me, I wouldn't leave $20-40m on the table unless I had a very good reason, or unless I felt like I would make up for that $20-40m elsewhere somehow. Perhaps they feel the added exposure they get from being independent is worth more than $20-40m per season would be. Perhaps they have some big donors who have threatened to cease donating if they join a conference. Perhaps they're hoping to hold out long enough that their fans see that the SEC is the future but they don't think that they can get that done just yet. Who knows? In the end, their decision to remain independent or not will have little bearing on most programs other than those in the ACC.
rootube
AG
How did those two playoffs work out for them? Did they look like the kind of team that needs their own network deal and special provisions to make sure they aren't left out of the playoffs?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.