Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

If you could flip one loss

9,893 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by dixichkn
Captain Awesome
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Florida 2012. Our coaching staff didn't quite know what they had in Johnny yet, A couple of zone reads would have won that game and I am convinced we would have had a natty.
Jesus loves tacos!
Craigy
Arkansas '75, Florida '12 . Sumlin's game coaching screwed us in Johnny's 1st game. Near the end of the 1st half our defense held Florida to a fairly long FG attempt. Sumlin decided to "ICE" the nations best kicker by wasting all 3 timeouts. Of course he made it and on our subsequent drive time runs out on us at their 25 yard line. We could have a decent chance for at minimum a FG.
87_Was_Long_Ago
AG
Florida State Cotton Bowl.

Flipping that one game would have dramatically changed everything in the 90s and beyond, but worse than that, I think flipping ONE PLAY with Greg Hill hanging onto the ball going into the end zone, and I think we win convincingly.

We were dominating them driving the ball down the field, in a battle of "which of these programs is really the up-and-coming powerhouse".
Bill Superman
AG
Bama in '20 anyone?
dixichkn
AG
Quote:

Only rule is that the game must have ended within a single possession
GigEmReggie
Lake08 said:

In 12, we were the best team in the country

That's pretty silly considering we lost a home game in November.
Bobaloo
The most significant loss was the 75 Arky game. We were undefeated and ranked #2. However, the 95 Texas loss was absolutely devastating. Last SWC game, SWC title on the line as was our Kyle Field winning streak. We held a very talented offense to 13 points and still didn't win. Those were frustrating teams to watch.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
We just won it back.
HJack20
AG
For the record, vacated wins don't cause the other team to win. LSU no longer counts the win, but A&M still holds the loss.
yell_on_6th st
AG
aggiehawg said:

NoHo Hank said:

LostInTheSchloss said:

What singular game would you change the result from a loss to a win? Only rule is that the game must have ended within a single possession (ex: can't flip Bama '20)

My choice would be LSU 2012.

LSU 2012 is the only choice. Get rid of the Mike Evans penalty and we win that game. We win that and we are playing notre dame for the mnc. We would have smoked them like.... Well every SEC team that plays them in a meaningful game. Total no brainer.
Agree but we would have to get past Georgia in the CCG first. I think Manziel could have done it but not sure Bertolet would come through in a pinch if needed.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but I rewatched some 2012 game highlights last night. He cost us.

Josh Lambo was on that team
HJack20
AG
Here's my thoughts on the 7 years I've followed A&M football.

2022: App State - No single win turns this season around. The App State loss may be the single worst loss in recent seaons, so erasing that would be the move.

2021: LSU - This loss really soured the end of the season. While we weren't going to win the west at 5-3, I can't help but think that an extra win here turns this season into a more favorable outcome, especially given the QB situation. LSU was significantly worse than us with a lame duck coach; their game winning drive was really hard to watch.

2020: Alabama - This is the only choice here. Do we beat Florida again in the SEC final? Maybe, maybe not. However, we still make the playoff even with a loss.

2019: There's a few good options here. None really change the season much. Auburn was really the only loss that wasn't entirely expected from a statistical standpoint. The Georgia loss was frustrating in the sense that some calls went against us; it would've been nice to come into Athens and make a statement. Finally, a win at LSU would've been nice to have given their dominance that season. Not sure which one to pick, but I'd lean towards LSU or maybe Georgia.

2018: Clemson - An extra SEC win wouldn't have gotten us to Atlanta, so the agonizing loss at home to Clemson is the pick. We had ALL the momentum in the 4th quarter and fell victim to an unfortunate fumble call out the end zone that may or may not have been correct, but there wasn't enough evidence to overturn. Would've been a really special way to start Jimbo's era, although the LSU game filled that box later that season.

2017: Wake Forest - Not biting at the UCLA game because that was probably what got Sumlin fired. Not sure any other extra SEC win saves his job, but not taking the chance. 2017 was needed to get Sumlin out.

2016: Mississippi State - Assuming Trevor Knight doesn't get hurt and beats State, who knows where this season ends up. One additional SEC win doesn't change much, as Alabama went 8-0 that year.
HJack20
AG
DGrimesAg92
LostInTheSchloss said:

What singular game would you change the result from a loss to a win? Only rule is that the game must have ended within a single possession (ex: can't flip Bama '20)

My choice would be LSU 2012.

Well, looks like you get your wish!!

https://sports.yahoo.com/texas-m-now-2012-sec-144241209.html
ObviousLazyRiverIsObvious
JimbloFisher said:

TX_Aggie37 said:

LSU, Arkansas, Miss St or Ole Miss this past year. Nobody cares about 2012 anymore. My choice would be LSU.
You'd flip last year's LSU game to a loss?

That threw me until I realized the post is from July 2022. Poster was referring to LSU 2021.
dixichkn
AG
GigEmReggie said:

Lake08 said:

In 12, we were the best team in the country

That's pretty silly considering we lost a home game in November.
We did? I see 4 W's in Nov 2012

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.