Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Permanent rival

23,542 Views | 158 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jarrin' Jay
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I doubt that we would get Arkansas because Arkansas' traditional biggest rival is Texas. We are not really huge rivals with them. I think that Arkansas will get two teams based mostly on geography (Missouri, and one other of Oklahoma, LSU, or Ole Miss) and also their biggest rival...which is Texas.
Faustus
JJxvi said:

Our 3 will likely be Texas, LSU, and someone else. It could be Arkansas (I doubt it) but more likely a filler just to make the numbers work. Missouri is a possibility. Yes, I think South Carolina is a possibility. South Carolina would likely not fill all three spots with teams that make sense, even geographic sense and will likely have one "these are the last two left, they have to go together" matchup.
I imagine for Texas it will be OU, A&M, and Arkansas.

Arkansas will want to resurrect its rivalry with Texas.

Edited: Should have finished the thread before posting given your post supra.
TopoTacos
AG
rgag12 said:

There's very little chance they go to one permanent rival. A handful of extremely old yearly SEC rivalries would go by the wayside

This. Especially when ESPN wants to guarantee as many major matchups as possible each year.

Take UGa for example, you think that regional market is going to willingly give up either TWLOCP or The Deep South's Oldest Rivalry? So they can play Mississippi State more often? Fat chance.

Same with Bama/Tenn vs the Iron Bowl, or Red River vs the Lone Star showdown. Especially when this all means giving up a conference gameā€¦

As with everything else, follow the money.
JJxvi
AG
There are a ton of possible permutations, even after you get in all of the most necessary games.

But in pretty much all of my 3 rivalry scenarios, the following games pretty much always exist because by feel, they seem to me the games that most need to happen.

Alabama-Auburn
Alabama-Tennessee
Auburn-Georgia
Florida-Georgia
Georgia-South Carolina
LSU-Texas A&M
Ole Miss-Miss State
Missouri-Oklahoma
Oklahoma-Texas
Tennessee-Vanderbilt
Texas-Texas A&M

After that there is a group of games that fall in to place pretty much every single time, whether through the existence of a secondary rivalry or a necessity of geography.

Alabama-Miss State
Arkansas-Texas
Arkansas-Missouri
Auburn-Florida
Florida-South Carolina
Kentucky-Tennessee
Kentucky-Vanderbilt
LSU-Ole Miss

That leaves the following spots that are usually the ones that are shuffled around in many ways. Each of the following school still has an open game.

Arkansas
Kentucky
LSU
Ole Miss
Miss State
Missouri
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Texas A&M
Vanderbilt

So theres really quite a lot of ways that could go. For example...

Alabama: Auburn, Miss State, Tennessee
Arkansas: Ole Miss, Missouri, Texas
Auburn: Alabama, Florida, Georgia
Florida: Auburn, Georgia, South Carolina
Georgia: Auburn, Florida, South Carolina
Kentucky: Miss State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
LSU: Ole Miss, Oklahoma, Texas A&M
Ole Miss: Arkansas, LSU, Miss State
Miss St: Alabama, Kentucky, Ole Miss
Missouri: Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M
Oklahoma: LSU, Missouri, Texas
South Carolina: Florida, Georgia, Vanderbilt
Tennessee: Alabama, Kentucky, Vanderbilt
Texas: Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M
Texas A&M: LSU, Missouri, Texas,
Vanderbilt: Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee

-or-

Arkansas: LSU, Missouri, Texas
Kentucky: Missouri, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
LSU: Arkansas, Ole Miss, Texas A&M
Ole Miss: LSU, Miss State, Vanderbilt
Miss St: Alabama, Ole Miss, Texas A&M
Missouri: Arkansas, Kentucky, Oklahoma
Oklahoma: Missouri, Texas, South Carolina
South Carolina: Florida, Georgia, Oklahoma
Texas A&M: LSU, Miss State, Texas
Vanderbilt: Kentucky, Ole Miss, Tennessee

-or-

Arkansas: Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas
LSU: Ole Miss, Miss State, Texas A&M
Miss St: Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss
Oklahoma: Arkansas, Missouri, Texas
South Carolina: Florida, Georgia, Texas A&M
Texas A&M: LSU, South Carolina, Texas

-or-

Arkansas: LSU, Missouri, Texas
Kentucky: Miss State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
LSU: Arkansas, Ole Miss, Texas A&M
Miss St: Alabama, Kentucky, Ole Miss
Missouri: Arkansas, Oklahoma, South Carolina
Oklahoma: Missouri, Texas, Texas A&M
South Carolina: Florida, Georgia, Missouri
Texas A&M: LSU, Oklahoma, Texas

etc

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

We are not really huge rivals with them
What defines "really huge rival" with another program? Is it longevity of a series against that program? Is it how close the overall series record is?

We all know about tu. Those knuckledraggers love to hold their series record over our heads, and we've played a bunch. I imagine LSU will be one of our permanents in a 3-6 setup - the swamp kitties have a 33-22-3 series record.

Arkansas was a long-time foe in the SWC. We've played 78 times if what the internet is telling me is true. The piggies have a 42-33-3 overall record against the Ags. I'd argue these numbers make these two big rivals, given how close it is. While I'd rather see a different team for the third perm opponent, I could easily understand if the SEC pits A&M and Arkansas. (What I don't want to see is either OU or Mizzou).
#FJB
GSPag`
The Chicken Ranch said:

No way we go to just one permanent rival.

Ole Miss must play LSU and MSU annually; Alabama must play Tennessee and Auburn annually; UGA must play Tennessee and Auburn annually, and Auburn must play Alabama and UGA annually. And we must play tu and LSU annually.

At a minimum this is what Bama will want. So it is happening.

And LSU will want Ole Miss and likely us.

UGA-AUB is the South's oldest rivalry.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I think some of you overestimate the LSU-A&M rivalry outside of texags. Most LSU alumni/T-Shirt Fans I work with would want Bama, Ole Miss, Auburn and even Florida before us.

But what it comes down to is eyeballs on the game though
levypantsEOY
There is no scenario where tu and Oklahoma are in different pods. I also don't believe there is any scenario where they separate us and sip. So really the only question (assuming the four team pod system goes through) is who is the fourth? The only logical programs are Arky and LSU.
Ugly
AG
Honestly, I think Texas A&M's situation is one of the most cut-and-dry of any team in either a 1-7 or a 3-6. If it is 1-7:
LSU - Texas and Oklahoma aren't getting split up, LSU doesn't have a #1 rival or someone that considers them a #1 rival, and the rivalry has gained traction in recent years on our side.

3-6:
LSU -similar reasons as above
Texas -obvious reasons on both sides
Arky - Arky and Texas A&M both have each other as their second-longest rivalry in the SEC, and this rivalry is big on Arky's side. Oklahoma is stupid here, as we really don't have much history there outside the B12, and never developed much of a rivalry during that time. There is even less justification for the Mississippi schools or other suggestions people have had.

We can discuss what it looks like for other schools, but I don't see any way one of the two above isn't the answer from Texas A&M's perspective.
JJxvi
AG
Theres no scenario where there are pods
catfan
Arkansas considers LSU to be its biggest rival. Wouldn't Missou get stuck with Arkansas or Kentucky?
twogoatsfn
AG
Arrakis ecologist said:

Then who would you want as our 3 rivals? t.u, LSU, and ? Bama nor the miss schools isn't happening because they don't really hate us and they have too much history with other schools. Heck LSU may not even want us and we will get stuck with t.u, OU, and Missouri
If it is about winning championships then Vanderbilt, Missouri and Kentucky. The SEC schedule will naturally give us the big game matchups without us making it harder on ourselves.
JJxvi
AG
Arrakis ecologist said:

I think some of you overestimate the LSU-A&M rivalry outside of texags. Most LSU alumni/T-Shirt Fans I work with would want Bama, Ole Miss, Auburn and even Florida before us.

LSU is getting A&M regardless of what they say they want. They cant only face east no matter how much they would want to. In any 3 game setup they will need to have to have a game vs a school in Texas just for geographical balance and it'll be us.
JJxvi
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

What defines "really huge rival" with another program? Is it longevity of a series against that program? Is it how close the overall series record is?

We all know about tu. Those knuckledraggers love to hold their series record over our heads, and we've played a bunch. I imagine LSU will be one of our permanents in a 3-6 setup - the swamp kitties have a 33-22-3 series record.

Arkansas was a long-time foe in the SWC. We've played 78 times if what the internet is telling me is true. The piggies have a 42-33-3 overall record against the Ags. I'd argue these numbers make these two big rivals, given how close it is. While I'd rather see a different team for the third perm opponent, I could easily understand if the SEC pits A&M and Arkansas. (What I don't want to see is either OU or Mizzou).

We're probably 4th for Arkansas after Texas, LSU, Ole Miss. Arkansas is also going to get stuck with Missouri too before us because of geography and maybe even Oklahoma. Ill be really surprised if Arkansas is one of our 3
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Absolutely ZERO chance they go with 1 permanent rival in a 1-7 format. It could be 2-6 to stay at 8, or 3-6 if we go to 9.

My preference would be 3-6, and I'd like our 3 to be LSU, Pig, and one of the MS teams but feel certain it will be cow, OU, and Pig or LSU.
Showstopper
AG
catfan said:

Arkansas considers LSU to be its biggest rival. Wouldn't Missou get stuck with Arkansas or Kentucky?
Arkansas' biggest rival is Texas by far. Every time they've played since they left the SWC for the SEC, their fans lose their ever loving minds. Their game with us and LSU are both a little like fat free desserts: something you try to convince yourself you like just as good when you can't have the thing you actually want.
greg.w.h
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

Absolutely ZERO chance they go with 1 permanent rival in a 1-7 format. It could be 2-6 to stay at 8, or 3-6 if we go to 9.

My preference would be 3-6, and I'd like our 3 to be LSU, Pig, and one of the MS teams but feel certain it will be cow, OU, and Pig or LSU.
It's apparently around 50-50 in the room between 1-7 and 3-6 which provide perfect rotation of home and home in four years with non-permanent rivals. You're claiming you know something that you can't know.

Bjork is pimping 3-6 because someone above his pay grade told him we will do everything in our power to restart the rivalry with Texas with the promise they play at Kyle first. It sounds like a consolation prize and a Chancellor orchestrating things behind the scenes likely at the direction of the Governor.

The advantage to 1-7 is we don't play more conference games until it is necessary. And given the SEC already dominates the four-team playoff, we aren't being driven to change that until others start cooperating.

I'll note the SEC's partnership with the B12 on the Sugar Bowl (remember the "Champions Bowl" working name?) has been a bust but still pays each conference $40 million through 2027 if the 15-year contract holds. Sankey was undoubtedly trying to get that transitioned early knowing he was bringing Texas and OU in when the leak to BZ occurred.

Sankey wants a unanimous outcome and 100% support. It probably will go 3-6 eventually. But it will absolutely not be 2-6 based on what they've said so far. And won't retain divisions due mainly to slow rotation through opposite division.

Discarding divisions and quicker rotations will also eliminate the perceived weakness of the East by eliminating their guaranteed SECCG slotā€¦too.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

It's apparently around 50-50 in the room between 1-7 and 3-6
link?
rootube
AG
nbaker2022 said:

rootube said:

nbaker2022 said:

the OP is right - 1 permanent rival seems to have some momentum with the league. And it's not such a horrible thing.

The 3-6 model only makes getting to the playoff that much more difficult - until it's expanded, that is. And logically it would make sense for the SEC to switch over to this model once that occurs

One permanent rival is an absolutely horrible idea for us and the rest of the SEC who have more than one rivalry game. Three permanent games is an absolute minimum. I have faith the people in charge are not that dumb.

Like I said in my original post, my guess is it's just a temporary thing until the playoff is expanded.

So implement a system that most agree is terrible because it's possible it may (or may not) improve our chances at more playoff spots?
Ugly
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

It's apparently around 50-50 in the room between 1-7 and 3-6
link?
https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3291044
GoldenGun00
AG
This is it, if historical and geographic rivalries are prioritized.

Arkansas: Missouri, Texas, Texas A&M
LSU: Miss State, Ole Miss, Texas A&M
Miss St: Alabama, Ole Miss, LSU
Texas A&M: Arkansas, LSU, Texas
Jimbo4win
AG
JJxvi said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

We're probably 4th for Arkansas after Texas, LSU, Ole Miss. Arkansas is also going to get stuck with Missouri too before us because of geography and maybe even Oklahoma. Ill be really surprised if Arkansas is one of our 3

For what it's worth, there were almost 1 million more viewers who watched A&M/Arkansas last year compared to Texas/Arkansas. Just in case eyeballs matter..
JJxvi
AG
GoldenGun00 said:

This is it, if historical and geographic rivalries are prioritized.

Arkansas: Missouri, Texas, Texas A&M
LSU: LSU, Ole Miss, Texas A&M
Miss St: Alabama, Ole Miss, LSU
Texas A&M: Arkansas, LSU, Texas
Pretty solid. Still has an Oklahoma-South Carolina throw away game, but I haven't seen one yet that doesnt have something like that. You have LSU listed for LSU but it should be Miss State.

I wonder how Arkansas fans would react? I suspect that like us, they will feel like they want at least one rivalry with a traditional SEC opponent. I think that's an overblown concern, considering they'd likely still get 5 of those games a year, but I bet they wouldn't like it.
Jimbo4win
AG
Showstopper said:

catfan said:

Arkansas' biggest rival is Texas by far. Every time they've played since they left the SWC for the SEC, their fans lose their ever loving minds. Their game with us and LSU are both a little like fat free desserts: something you try to convince yourself you like just as good when you can't have the thing you actually want.

Then why were there so many more tv viewers for A&M/Arkansas last year than Texas/Arkansas?
Jimbo4win
AG
JJxvi said:

Arrakis ecologist said:

LSU is getting A&M regardless of what they say they want. They cant only face east no matter how much they would want to. In any 3 game setup they will need to have to have a game vs a school in Texas just for geographical balance and it'll be us.

None of the schools you mentioned that LSU wants as a rival want LSU in return. And to place our rivalry with LSU in better context, it's important to consider more than just the past 9 years..
maver1ck
AG
rootube said:

nbaker2022 said:

rootube said:

nbaker2022 said:

the OP is right - 1 permanent rival seems to have some momentum with the league. And it's not such a horrible thing.

The 3-6 model only makes getting to the playoff that much more difficult - until it's expanded, that is. And logically it would make sense for the SEC to switch over to this model once that occurs

One permanent rival is an absolutely horrible idea for us and the rest of the SEC who have more than one rivalry game. Three permanent games is an absolute minimum. I have faith the people in charge are not that dumb.

Like I said in my original post, my guess is it's just a temporary thing until the playoff is expanded.

So implement a system that most agree is terrible because it's possible it may (or may not) improve our chances at more playoff spots?

More or less, yeah. I mean, it's not just about A&M.

It gives the entire league a better chance. More league games means more potential losses for every SEC team, and we already know the committee doesn't give a crap about SOS (see 2020). You can agree or disagree on the decision, I'm just telling you what I guarantee their thought process is. They are extremely predictable. SEC is allll about money and playoff teams.
JJxvi
AG
Jimbo4win said:

Showstopper said:

catfan said:

Then why were there so many more tv viewers for A&M/Arkansas last year than Texas/Arkansas?
Because one was on cable and the other was on network tv probably...
LincolnBorglum79
AG
tu and ou are joining the SEC allegedly. This ain't a merger. The SEC will add 1 team to each division and play either a 9 or 10 game conference schedule. With a 4 team playoff likely we play 9 games but when they expand it to 16
Or 24 teams it will be time for the 10 game schedule.

ou goes east to improve the balance and tu joins the west. 7 division games and 2 crossovers until it grows to 3. Bama and auburn aren't moving from the division they have always been in.
JJxvi
AG
LincolnBorglum79 said:

tu and ou are joining the SEC allegedly. This ain't a merger. The SEC will add 1 team to each division and play either a 9 or 10 game conference schedule. With a 4 team playoff likely we play 9 games but when they expand it to 16
Or 24 teams it will be time for the 10 game schedule.

ou goes east to improve the balance and tu joins the west. 7 division games and 2 crossovers until it grows to 3. Bama and auburn aren't moving from the division they have always been in.

No way. I think the SEC is going to go to a new model where every athletic director rolls dice against each other to decide the yearly schedule!
LincolnBorglum79
AG
T sips schedule in 2025:

Non conf. Maryland and Kansas
Road conf: at A&M, Bama, LSU, Ark, Georgia
Home conf: ou, MS, Miss, Auburn

Should be fun to watch
BMX Bandit
Quote:

The SEC will add 1 team to each division
fake news
Jimbo4win
AG
JJxvi said:

Jimbo4win said:

Showstopper said:

catfan said:

Oh so WAY fewer people have ESPN? If that's the case, why on Earth would the national championship game be played on ESPN? Wouldn't it be stupid to put the biggest game of the year on a network where fewer people can see it?
TXAG 05
AG
JJxvi said:

Jimbo4win said:

Showstopper said:

catfan said:

That doesn't mean anything anymore.
Jimbo4win
AG
Or could it be(and please hear me out) that Arkansas fans are exactly like Texas fans? They tell us we are not their most hated rival but yet obsess over us day and night? Take one look at any whorn or Hog fan forum and tell me who they REALLY hate..News flash-it's Texas A&M
JJxvi
AG
Jimbo4win said:

JJxvi said:

Jimbo4win said:

Showstopper said:

catfan said:

Oh so WAY fewer people have ESPN? If that's the case, why on Earth would the national championship game be played on ESPN? Wouldn't it be stupid to put the biggest game of the year on a network where fewer people can see it?
Uh, yes. The number of people that can get a CBS station is probably 250-300 million (basically the whole country). ESPN has 75 million cable subscribers.

The reason the championship game is played on ESPN is because ESPN pays the most money to the conferences to get it. Sure ESPN could put it on ABC and get way more viewers, but not enough more that the ad revenue offsets what ESPN gains in terms of people feeling like they cant cancel cable because they will lose ESPN and content like the national championship game. ESPN needs content like that to keep 75 million people paying $10 a month.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.