Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kellen Mond starting Sunday?

16,112 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Flack
medwriter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And to add to that. If your coach is an absolute ASS, then that will most definitely have an impact on your ability to play at the most important position on the field.

I have ZERO respect for people like him. They're put on this planet to make others miserable. How he got to where he is is a mystery to me.
Thunder Up Ags
AG
Also a Vikings fan, I think Zimmer is also still pissed at Mond for not getting the vaccine.
Bunk Moreland
And Cousins
Showstopper
AG
Well, I don't think he is probably a huge Mond fan, but this seems more like a coach and GM relationship going south. Sucks to be Mond, though, a new coach will probably want a new QB. Hopefully he can catch on somewhere or somehow hang on as the cheap backup.
Hungry Ojos
A lot of these responses are pathetic and magnify why our country is in the shape it's in.

These guys are PROS. Grown men. They get paid to play football. If they suck at what they're getting paid to do, why should they be coddled and kid gloved?

If anything, his comments should spurn Mond to realize that he's not good and needs to do everything in his power to get better.

In my small business, if I pay someone to do a job and they don't do it, I fire them. What good comes from me holding their hand and telling them how special they are, when the truth is, they're awful? They've learned nothing about their frailties and will fail again at their next job. Nothing personal, but the business comes first.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Can't remember the words from the early press conferences, but I think Zimmer was either not aware that Mond was going to be one of the Vikings draft picks or was against Mond as a draft pick. Zimmer was in a press conference after the draft and then later into pre-season practice and he didn't have favorable remarks regarding Mond. I don't care either way, but I think it's a GM vs Zimmer issue and Mond just happens to be a pawn in the affair. The GM will likely win out over Zimmer and Zimmer will mover on. However, if Zimmer moves on, Mond better produce or the GM and Mond will both be gone.
Bunk Moreland
he's not going to produce because he's not going to get a shot with Cousins as the starter. Therefore he needs to be developed.

If the HC is uninterested in doing that, then it's a problem for all of them. But again, Zimmer will likely be gone in a week anyway so a fresh chance to learn under a new coach and continue developing or he'll go the way many mid-round QB's do...never to be heard from again.
W
AG
Cousins is signed thru 2022
PyriteAg
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Zimmer will likely be gone in a week anyway so a fresh chance to learn under a new coach and continue developing or he'll go the way many mid-round QB's do
I just realized something. This is shockingly similar to what happened here during Mond's first year. Only difference is that Sumlin didn't throw Mond under the bus like that, but still.
maver1ck
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Again, he was ****ting publicly on his brand new rookie kicker in the preseason of his first year. This isn't new for Zimmer. He is probably a little more grumpy recently because he knows he's getting canned but he was an ******* publicly about his players in his first couple seasons with zero pressure on him too.

Preseason of Carlson's rookie year:

Quote:

The Vikings scored on a one-yard touchdown run by Latavius Murray after Carlson's first miss, and Zimmer chose to try a 2-point conversion rather than send Carlson out for the extra point.

""Just let him know if he's going to miss them, I'm going to go for two," said Zimmer after the game, noting that he wanted to send Carlson a message.
When he got cut a month later
Quote:

Zimmer was asked, "What went into the decision to let Carlson go?"

He responded with, "Did you see the game?" and then said it was a "pretty easy" decision.

Carlson currently is the 4th or 5th most accurate kicker in NFL history and has crushed bigtime FG's for the Raiders all season.

And another gem of his

Quote:

"Everybody says I don't like rookies. I like rookies. If they're the best players, I want them to play."

Then there was the...odd embrace on the sidelines when Cousins led them to a game winning FG drive earlier this year.

Went to high school in Colorado Springs with Daniel Carlson, and his younger brother who kicks for Auburn.

Sucked watching him get cut. And now it brings me a lot of joy to see him dominating in Las Vegas after Zimmer made that decision.
medwriter
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX said:

Can't remember the words from the early press conferences, but I think Zimmer was either not aware that Mond was going to be one of the Vikings draft picks or was against Mond as a draft pick. Zimmer was in a press conference after the draft and then later into pre-season practice and he didn't have favorable remarks regarding Mond. I don't care either way, but I think it's a GM vs Zimmer issue and Mond just happens to be a pawn in the affair. The GM will likely win out over Zimmer and Zimmer will mover on. However, if Zimmer moves on, Mond better produce or the GM and Mond will both be gone.
I wholeheartedly agree. As an analogy, I've gone into jobs where I knew that my boss didn't want me as a hire. Could have been a number of things. In each and every case these people made my job a living hell and it was obvious they wanted me to resign. Imagine putting up with that as a young man entering the NFL. I'm no Mond fanboy, heck I couldn't even provide his stats. But it most certainly isn't coddling, as another poster mentioned to give the guy a chance and show him that you're willing to work together for success. I just don't like that attitude. I feel like he's taking it out on Mond because of a dispute with the GM. That's a dick move if you ask me. He shouldn't be a head coach anywhere.
medwriter
nbaker2022 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Again, he was ****ting publicly on his brand new rookie kicker in the preseason of his first year. This isn't new for Zimmer. He is probably a little more grumpy recently because he knows he's getting canned but he was an ******* publicly about his players in his first couple seasons with zero pressure on him too.

Preseason of Carlson's rookie year:

Quote:

The Vikings scored on a one-yard touchdown run by Latavius Murray after Carlson's first miss, and Zimmer chose to try a 2-point conversion rather than send Carlson out for the extra point.

""Just let him know if he's going to miss them, I'm going to go for two," said Zimmer after the game, noting that he wanted to send Carlson a message.
When he got cut a month later
Quote:

Zimmer was asked, "What went into the decision to let Carlson go?"

He responded with, "Did you see the game?" and then said it was a "pretty easy" decision.

Carlson currently is the 4th or 5th most accurate kicker in NFL history and has crushed bigtime FG's for the Raiders all season.

And another gem of his

Quote:

"Everybody says I don't like rookies. I like rookies. If they're the best players, I want them to play."

Then there was the...odd embrace on the sidelines when Cousins led them to a game winning FG drive earlier this year.

Went to high school in Colorado Springs with Daniel Carlson, and his younger brother who kicks for Auburn.

Sucked watching him get cut. And now it brings me a lot of joy to see him dominating in Las Vegas after Zimmer made that decision.
Just because what I have seen of Zimmer, I celebrate with you nbaker.
Paul Dirac
W said:

the Vikings need Zimmer gone.

and Mond's career needs Zimmer gone too.

he's an old grouch

Mond's career needs a knowledge base of how to make all of the varieties of drinks Starbucks serves. Sure he will miss the cup often but he will make up for it with his loyalty, respect, sharp mind, and leadership.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Asked after the Week 17 game whether Mond might get an extended look in the season finale, Zimmer didn't mince words.

"Not particularly,'' the coach said.

This appears to suggest two things:
1. Zimmer either wasn't a fan of the Vikings drafting Mond or he's clearly soured on the rookie since he joined the team.
2. Most coaches wouldn't say something that strong on a rookie unless they were extremely firm in their employment status ... or they know they're getting fired.

https://sports.yahoo.com/vikings-mike-zimmer-on-if-he-wants-to-see-qb-kellen-mond-in-week-18-not-particularly-161208359.html
ElephantRider
AG
I've read that the Mond pick was 100% the GM's call
Onionman
I don't think Zimmer should have been quite this harsh.

But I don't really understand why so many are butt hurt about it. What Zimmer says will have no affect on Mond. Mond will still have a chance to prove himself and this might light a fire under him.
TyperWoods
The lengths some posters will go...
medwriter
Onionman said:

But I don't really understand why so many are butt hurt about it. What Zimmer says will have no affect on Mond. Mond will still have a chance to prove himself and this might light a fire under him.

I really hope you're right and he goes on to be a pro-bowler somewhere.
Onionman
medwriter said:

Onionman said:

It is nice to see Aggies do well at the next level.
Bird Poo
AG
Mond - if you're reading this, don't spend a penny of your earnings and find a good financial advisor.
Amarillo Slim
AG
Onionman said:

I'm not defending Zimmerman but in light of just getting your ass whooped and being asked if your going to forfeit your next game which is in effect what they were asking because Cousins should be off Covid list for next weeks game I am not sure his response was a reflection of what he thought of Mond.
medwriter
Onionman said:

medwriter said:

Onionman said:

It is nice to see Aggies do well at the next level.
Hell yes it is. I don't care how "woke" they've been lately, it is still one of the best Universities in the country, IMO.
TyperWoods
Iraq2xVeteran said:

Asked after the Week 17 game whether Mond might get an extended look in the season finale, Zimmer didn't mince words.

"Not particularly,'' the coach said.

This appears to suggest two things:
1. Zimmer either wasn't a fan of the Vikings drafting Mond or he's clearly soured on the rookie since he joined the team.
2. Most coaches wouldn't say something that strong on a rookie unless they were extremely firm in their employment status ... or they know they're getting fired.

https://sports.yahoo.com/vikings-mike-zimmer-on-if-he-wants-to-see-qb-kellen-mond-in-week-18-not-particularly-161208359.html

3. Coach was pissed after a loss and wasn't in a mood for stupid questions
aeon-ag
He played three downs and looked like the same ol' mond!
moldaggie
aeon-ag said:

He played three downs and looked like the same ol' mond!

Usually a coach gives more time than 1 series to give a QB a chance. That coach is an azzzz.
Flack
Hungry Ojos said:

A lot of these responses are pathetic and magnify why our country is in the shape it's in.

These guys are PROS. Grown men. They get paid to play football. If they suck at what they're getting paid to do, why should they be coddled and kid gloved?

If anything, his comments should spurn Mond to realize that he's not good and needs to do everything in his power to get better.

In my small business, if I pay someone to do a job and they don't do it, I fire them. What good comes from me holding their hand and telling them how special they are, when the truth is, they're awful? They've learned nothing about their frailties and will fail again at their next job. Nothing personal, but the business comes first.

Hiring "awful" people is, first and foremost, a failure of the hiring manager, especially in a small business.

Mond is a rookie and it was obvious that he needed development. They had 4 years of tape on the guy. If he is not what they wanted and what they thought he was when they drafted him then that's on them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.