Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Son admitted to A&M - Scholarship Questions

8,706 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by nu awlins ag
carl spacklers hat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HowdyTexasAggies said:

I see that rather than prove me wrong, folks resort to jabs about "your". I guess my factual statement piss some off.

I think your ill-informed opinion is what turned people off.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
fisherofmen
AG
Search all outside scholarship opportunities besides the standard merit options. My son had extremely high test scores and grades with all kinds of extracurricular activity and was only offered $1K/year from the school. He ended up at Ole Miss because they offered full tuition. Scholarship competition at A&M is intense.
StinkyPinky
AG
If you are a white male, forget about it
AG1996
When you fill out the FAFSA, sit back and look at it. Does it look like you need the help, if not just give up on getting anything from A&M unless your a national merit. Local A&M club, local company and organization scholarships are your best bet. Very few scholarships are based on your scholar, has to be an associated need. Basically grants with academic restrictions.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
AggieOO said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

If your not white, you'll prob have some success. Whitey need not apply.
maybe grammar was a bigger issue than skin color.

Mods, did my original post get too many blue stars to your liking? Why did you delete it?
Year of the Germaphobe
AG
Pell grant.

Tell your kid to look it up, and apply.

ETA: if he is renting, and living on his own he will definitely qualify. If you claimed him as a dependent on last years tax returns, the amount he receives will be a function of your household income.

ETA:ETA: tell him to ask the advisor for his major about scholarships. The relationship he has with his department advisor will define his college experience. Advisors know which professors to watch out for, which scholarships are best to apply for, which tutors to use, which companies typically hir his major and/or offer internships etc.
DuncanLEO
There's also like 15k kids entering now that Sharp has created a diploma mill. Money is hard to come by for those that need to pursue that route.
jrdaustin
AG
I had never realized that University scholarships are layers deep. Make sure he selects a major other than General Studies.

Let's take Animal Science for example.

The University has scholarships available. Then the College of Agriculture has scholarships available. Then scholarships can be found within the school of Animal Science.

The more specific he is going in, the deeper the layers that he will find to be able to apply to.
ogden nash
HowdyTexasAggies said:

I see that rather than prove me wrong, folks resort to jabs about "your". I guess my factual statement piss some off.

It's difficult to "prove" wrong an unfounded opinion. And, It's "pisses."
Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.
TRADUCTOR
Scholarships not based on merit, it's all about the "common good" now.

lol grades, can't game the system anymore with 'grades'
Aggie97
AG
Do they still have the valedictorian/salutatorian scholarships?
TXAGBQ76
AG
Lots of Corps scholarships available. For instance, pretty much every member of the FTAB is on one or more scholarships.

The University just announced a program where every Corps member will have free room and board.

Army, Navy and Air Force offer full ride scholarships in return for six years of service.

He should talk with folks at the Trigon on campus to discuss those opps- and sooner rather Han later.

Best of luck and congrats!
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
ogden nash said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

It's difficult to "prove" wrong an unfounded opinion. And, It's "pisses."

You don't think white people are being discriminated against in both admissions and scholarship money? Nothing unfounded in what I stated. It's fact. Sorry your feelings are hurt by the truth.
Titan83
AG
This advise is really good.

High school councilors are generally plugged into the available scholarships at A&M, but they're also helping other students as well. You would be surprised how many scholarships go unclaimed. There are also a lot of corporations run by Aggies who offer scholarships that high schools sometimes don't know about. Don't depend on the high schools to do this work, there are too many seniors going in different directions. You will need to step up your research and your son will need to be prepared to fill out a lot of applications.

There are also tremendous opportunities through ROTC scholarships, if your son is interested in the Corps and at least 4-5 years of service. In some cases, you can get almost a full scholarship. Congratulations and good luck.
12thMan9
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

Lots of Corps scholarships available. For instance, pretty much every member of the FTAB is on one or more scholarships.

The University just announced a program where every Corps member will have free room and board.

Army, Navy and Air Force offer full ride scholarships in return for six years of service.

He should talk with folks at the Trigon on campus to discuss those opps- and sooner rather Han later.

Best of luck and congrats!
Those aren't scholarships for the service academies.
Ronnie '88
ag94ag
AG
When I was admitted to A&M, I had no idea how I was going to pay for things. I went to the Pavillion(1992), because that is where they handled scholarships at the time. I spoke to the lady there and told him that I needed to find a way to pay for everything. She had two large binders of scholarships that people offered for students that were going to A&M and that I just needed to give them a good reason to help me pay for my education. I wrote something like 25 essays about why I was deserving. I was awarded money for more than half of them and I didn't require a student loan to make ends meet. Well, I did work two jobs and the scholarship money coupled with the scholarships kept me out of student loan debt.
illegitima non carborundum
TXAGBQ76
AG
This thread is not about the academies, it's about TAMU scholarships- thought that was obvious.
The three branches mentioned all offer full ride ROTC scholarships in return for six years of service- just like the academies.
Sparkie
AG
Take time to visit with a counselor before the semester starts. I had an issue with housing and a counselor helped me out bigtime.
nu awlins ag
AG
With low tuition costs, scholarships will be very competitive. My son is applying for a few, biology major, so we'll see what happens. No need based available so it will all be merit based.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.