Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

1921 Aggie Football in review

6,592 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ABATTBQ87
agsalaska
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If I ever invent a time traveling machine going back to a game at Kyle from the teens-twenties would be a top priority.
W
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

how prophetic is the wording about the annual game vs. Rice...when thinking of the 1957 season
ABATTBQ87
AG
Done7 said:

Whats the story behind the yearbook called the Longhorn. Did TU steal that name from us?
the Texas University football team was called "Varsity" when the 1903 "Long Horn" was introduced as the A&M College yearbook.

from teasipper website: BEVO I: the University of Texas Longhorn mascot, was dragged onto the football field to make an appearance at the Longhorn-Texas Aggies Thanksgiving day game in 1916.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Earl King Gill Senior Bio 1924 Longhorn

ABATTBQ87
AG
E King Gill Football 1923-24

E King Gill Basketball 1923-24

Baseball 1924

aglaes
AG
Pretty cool - especially the basketball photos of E. King Gill.

Was Coach Bible not only the football coach but also the basketball coach? Was that typical at this time - ie the coach was the coach for all sports?

All I can say is I'm glad many of those yells didn't "stick" or went by the wayside over time. Some of those were really bad.
Little Rock Ag
AG
So, E. KIng Gill was not only the original 12th Man, but also the 6th Man and 10th Man.
Little Rock Ag
AG
aglaes said:

Pretty cool - especially the basketball photos of E. King Gill.

Was Coach Bible not only the football coach but also the basketball coach? Was that typical at this time - ie the coach was the coach for all sports?

All I can say is I'm glad many of those yells didn't "stick" or went by the wayside over time. Some of those were really bad.
Not to mention the bus driver.
ABATTBQ87
AG
The battalion September 21, 1942:

ABATTBQ87
AG
At the 1964 campus Muster, the 12th Man himself, E. King Gill, Class of 1924, told the story of how the 12th Man tradition began.

Recently, an audio recording resurfaced among long-packed-away possessions of a Class of '64 Aggie.
A text version of the speech had existed, but now Gill's exact words and his sincere closing thoughts on the meaning of Aggie traditions such as Muster and the 12th Man come to life again.

Listen to Gill tell how he suited up in case the Aggie football team needed him, back in 1922.
He is introduced by A&M's president, Maj. Gen. J. Earl Rudder '32.

https://www.aggienetwork.com/news/152458/listen-audio-resurfaces-of-gill-telling-12th-man-story/
ABATTBQ87
AG
TTT for the 100th Anniversary
ABATTBQ87
AG
Our opponents from Centre College, coached by Charley Moran, former coach of A&M.

1921 Praying Colonels compiled a 10-1 record, scoring 334 points while allowing 28 points (282 and 6 in regular-season play).

Old Centre 1922 Yearbook

Go to page 142 for Athletics/Football
oklacityag75
AG
ABATTBQ87, amazing stuff!!! Thank you. I've been begging for years for TexAgs start a "History of TAMU" forum. They have the resources and people to collect this history, catalogue it, and put it on the site.
ABATTBQ87
AG
SinKiller
My grandfather was '25, I have a lot of his stuff, ring, sword etc...
Bison
AG
Okay, do we have extant recordings of the old yells and songs? I am missing a huge amount of context without them.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Bison said:

Okay, do we have extant recordings of the old yells and songs? I am missing a huge amount of context without them.
Yell Practice 1942-43 "We've never been licked"

24:40 minute mark: Farmers Fight; A-R-M-Y and the War Hymn

ABATTBQ87
AG
Spirit of Aggieland: 1942-43 We've never been licked

2:35 mark
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.