Story Poster
Photo by Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Week 12's Overnight Sensation: Zach Calzada, Quarterback

November 29, 2021

Each Monday during the 2021 Texas A&M football season, we’ll identify a first or second-year Aggie player who delivered an exceptional performance and earned the distinction of being the week’s ‘Overnight Sensation.’ 

Sophomore quarterback Zach Calzada almost engineered a comeback victory on Saturday night in Death Valley.

Almost.

In Texas A&M's 27-24 loss to LSU, Calzada led the Aggies back from a 10-0 deficit and put the Maroon & White in position to spoil Ed Orgeron's going away party. The Aggie signal-caller finished 20-of-35 for 242 yards and three touchdowns with no turnovers.

“I thought he competed and made plays and scrambled and made some big-time throws to help us," Jimbo Fisher said of Calzada. "I thought he battled hard and had some great plays and put us in a position to win the game.”

Trailing 20-10 late in the third quarter, Calzada led the Aggies on a 75-yard touchdown drive and a 45-yard touchdown drive to give A&M a 24-20 advantage with 2:34 to play.

Perhaps his best play of the night gave A&M its first lead of the game. Facing third-and-8 at the LSU 32, Calzada avoided pressure from B.J. Ojulari, rolled to his left and found Jalen Preston short of the sticks. The wideout did the rest, weaving his way to the endzone, but it all started with Calzada's ability to keep the play alive.

It was the second time Calzada and Preston had connected for a score, having previously linked up for a 15-yard touchdown earlier in the fourth quarter.

Calzada's other touchdown came with A&M trailing 10-0 in the second quarter when he found Muhsin Muhammad III for a 13-yard strike.

His play wasn't perfect (Calzada was sacked four times for 23 yards in losses, including twice on the Aggies' last-second desperation drive that ultimately went nowhere), but he gave his team a shot to win in a hostile environment.

Saturday was the first time A&M played turnover-less football vs. a Power 5 opponent this season, thanks in large part to Calzada. He finished with the third-highest passing total of his career and the second-highest QBR at 85.1 (Alabama, 90.8). Calzada again played hurt, confirming via social media that he reinjured his left shoulder.

Outcome aside, Calzada's performance was respectable as hell, and his toughness continues to be the stuff of legend. He has shown over and over that he'll fight for his teammates, coaches and university every time he hits the field.

Calzada's stats vs. LSU
Completions: 20
Attempts: 35
Passing Yards: 242
Touchdowns: 3
Interceptions: 0

Calzada's 2021 stats
Completions: 184
Attempts: 328
Passing Yards: 2,185
Touchdowns: 17
Interceptions: 9

Discussion from...

Week 12's Overnight Sensation: Zach Calzada, Quarterback

5,296 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by The Agly Duckling
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
kid was nails on Saturday.

Anyone blaming him for that loss or the overall season record has a very low football IQ
AgOutsideAustin
AG
His best game next to Alabama. Receivers still had several drops and the D cratered at the end.
Led the team back and had the lead.

Zach balled out that game.
aggieland09
AG
I couldn't keep track how many drops we had that hit receivers in both hands. Zach played well. Definitely good enough to win. Don't understand negativity towards him at all. I think he has a very bright future.
Aggie1188
cavscout96 said:

kid was nails on Saturday.

Anyone blaming him for that loss or the overall season record has a very low football IQ
no kidding. OC Jimbo is why we lost. Not our Calzada.
The Agly Duckling
How many drops did we have, where the pass catcher should reasonably be responsible for it?
SEC Champs
AG
I heard some people texted some nasty stuff to him… WTF?!
cavscout96
AG
The Agly Duckling said:

How many drops did we have, where the pass catcher should reasonably be responsible for it?
I counted at least 4
Papa Joe
AG
Gig 'em Zach Calzada!!!
Hope he fully recovers for the bowl game.
He will give it 100%, never quits, plays injured (no backup QB available) and very admirable!
dcg4403
AG
Very good game for Zach. Leave it at that. He certainly needed more help to pull it out. Absolutely a team loss...failures across the board.
Austin Ag
AG

I counted 5 to 6 dropped passes that where right in the hands of the WR'er. That stat should read 25-35 for ___
The Agly Duckling
Austin Ag said:

I counted 5 to 6 dropped passes that where right in the hands of the WR'er. That stat should read 25-35 for ___
This is exactly what I was getting at. And how many more first downs would've been generated, points, etc.?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.