Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

I think I get the timing of the Wells firing now….

10,364 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Meximan
Divining Rod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sorry to create another thread on Tech, but I thought this was too big to bury… I just saw this last night and was stunned. siap)

I'm thinking the reason Wells was let go now in addition to the KSt loss being so devastating was his response (actually no response) in presser to the question of what's so great about living in Lubbock. I think that got stuck in Mr. West Texas Moneybags' craw like a 6" T-Bone.

Can you imagine your coach, charged with recruiting talent to Lubbock, which is the lifeblood of your program, having THIS " response" to a question he should have addressed 5,000 times by now to recruits and their families?

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2021/10/25/did-this-comment-on-lubbock-help-get-matt-wells-fired-by-texas-tech/

Maroon Dawn
AG
Lubbock has always been a tough sell

Small dusty little college town that's far from anywhere that matters (at least it's not dry anymore)

Leach got around that by recruiting for an exciting new offense that won games

But now everyone in the L10 runs a version of the air raid so it's back to trying to sell a mediocre team in a mediocre town with a mediocre university in a mediocre conference
AgBQ-00
AG
What's not to love!!??!!
war hymn aggie
AG
Tceh is getting what they deserve when they fired Leach for the reason that they did.
rootube
AG
This comment is like a booster newsletter with injury info. Nobody cares until the losses start to pile up.
tk111
AG
woof. He went full Joe on that response. Always amazes me when coaches can't speak basic coach speak.
greg.w.h
AG
New requirement for head coaches: elevator pitch on why your college town is THE BEST PLACE EVUH!!!!
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
Lubbock sucks. Great people in west Texas but I do not understand how they do it. Lubbock is a pretty tough sell even if you grew up in west Texas. They shouldn't have fired leach. Tech will never be really relevant again.
TexAg15
AG
They fired over something said by a kid who's dad committed quintuple homicide in and around the University Park area.
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015
83Aggie
AG
I only travel there on business... but in order

No traffic
Lots of great coffee shops
TSA line is easily manageable
Macarthur
So when does Kirby actually start getting heat for his failures? Seems like a common thread here...
hunter2012
AG
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

Lubbock sucks. Great people in west Texas but I do not understand how they do it. Lubbock is a pretty tough sell even if you grew up in west Texas. They shouldn't have fired leach. Tech will never be really relevant again.
The saying here(panhandle) is that it's the opposite of a tourist spot, it's a great place to live but you wouldn't want to visit.
BwdAg
AG
Cost of air/bus/any ticket for transportation TO Lubbock - $0.

Cost of air/bus/any ticket for transportation FROM Lubbock - $thousands, consequently millions

Everyone is looking to leave Lubbock!
Showstopper
AG
Isn't that the entire Panhandle? (I'm from there so I'm allowed to say that).
greg.w.h
AG
Showstopper said:

Isn't that the entire Panhandle? (I'm from there so I'm allowed to say that).
Except when the tumbleweeds back up and in turn create a massive snow drift. No one wants to live in that…

(Story from my dad about the Amarillo area.)
NyAggie
AG

especially now that the bdf has been gutted
Jarrin' Jay
AG
I'm sure that comment was a contributing factor. He seems to have the personality of a traffic cone.

It's not that hard, you go to an immediate stock answer of "the people are great, great support, great facilities and the administration is always being proactive on how we can improve facilities and the experience for the student-athletes. The fans are passionate and care about Texas Tech football and it's our job to give them a good team to support and be proud of and we are working hard to do that. Lubbock and Texas Tech is a great college football experience all around and we just need to get recruits here and it will sell itself"................ yada yada yada.

Don't even have to believe one word of it, but any coach should be able to say that, unscripted, from the hip, when asked....
cevans_40
AG
hunter2012 said:

The saying here(panhandle) is that it's the opposite of a tourist spot, it's a great place to live but you wouldn't want to visit.
I disagree. I am not a fan of dusting my dishes and I hate getting shocked every time you touch something metallic. I will stick to the sliver.
A-A Ron
cevans_40 said:

hunter2012 said:

I disagree. I am not a fan of dusting my dishes and I hate getting shocked every time you touch something metallic. I will stick to the sliver.
Ill take my once every couple of years snow storm (live / from Amarillo) over flooded home repairs from hurricanes every year.

See i over generalized living in the Houston area the same way you over generalized living in the Panhandle.
EclipseAg
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

It's not that hard, you go to an immediate stock answer of "the people are great, great support, great facilities and the administration is always being proactive on how we can improve facilities and the experience for the student-athletes.
Yeah, among the many skills a college coach needs is the ability to shift into salesman mode at the drop of a hat.
concac
AG
The answer is always, "The people is what makes Lubbock great. Especially the hot chicks that attend the university."
Spyderman
AG
You are only what, 4 hrs from the mountains in NM?
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Lived in Lubbock from 1985 to 1987. When the plane landed and I got to my ride, I told the guy picking me up it sure was flat and level out here. He replied, oh yeah, you can sit on your back porch and watch your dog run away for 2 weeks. ..... I enjoyed my time there, except for the 1987 game, ugh. As for Wells, that coach really missed on an opportunity.
hangman
If you liked the movie Dune you will love Lubbock!
Aggie
AG
war hymn aggie said:

Tceh is getting what they deserve when they fired Leach for the reason that they did.

100%
Kansas for firing Mangino also

Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
Aggie said:

war hymn aggie said:

100%
Kansas for firing Mangino also

Agree with both. Mangino fired for speaking truth about the cancer that resides in Austin.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
war hymn aggie said:

Then firing Kingsbury who loved it there.

Firing Kingsbury is worse in my opinion. He loved it there and was doing the best you could do with what was available and bringing in talent and key spots
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
pete85
AG
Lubbock is the butthole of the universe... just sayin'!
agent-maroon
AG
I grew up in Lubbock and Amarillo. I preferred the colder, windier Amarillo to the dust storms of Lubbock, but both are good places to be from. Emphasis is on "from". I don't think I ever met anyone that retired and then moved to either location.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ginormus Ag
AG
Easy college girls. See, I didn't have to think that hard.
Username checks out.
Divining Rod
^yes, you could see he was struggling to say that, but thinking about his wife and kids at same time.

Honestly though, Lubbock is good people.
OKC~Ag
Jarrin' Jay said:

I'm sure that comment was a contributing factor. He seems to have the personality of a traffic cone.

It's not that hard, you go to an immediate stock answer of "the people are great, great support, great facilities and the administration is always being proactive on how we can improve facilities and the experience for the student-athletes. The fans are passionate and care about Texas Tech football and it's our job to give them a good team to support and be proud of and we are working hard to do that. Lubbock and Texas Tech is a great college football experience all around and we just need to get recruits here and it will sell itself"................ yada yada yada.

Don't even have to believe one word of it, but any coach should be able to say that, unscripted, from the hip, when asked....
I would go a step further and if you are the coach charged to create a great football team, you make sure you believe that about the community you serve and you work your ass off to achieve that...pretty simple.
wangus12
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

What's not to love!!??!!

The Spice Must Flow
PlanetAggie
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

What's not to love!!??!!

You know the dust storm is intimidating... but the stacks of pallets in a residential neighborhood says everything we need to know about Lubbock.
fightinag
So when does Sumlin get his interview ?
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.