Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

All you need to know about TxTech's program and AD Holcutt....

12,450 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Divining Rod
ElephantRider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cody Campbell played for Leach
MooreTrucker
AG
Halconblack said:

Womble was invested in a company I once worked with. Nice enough guy, but we had several conversations on sports and talking with him was no different than the banter on Texags. In fact, he and some other donors were pretty high on Wells after they first hired him. The point of my statement is that all of these donors are better served picking a good AD and letting them do their job. Just because you were successful in business doesn't mean that you are going to be good at selecting the leader of a D-1 Football Program.
I agree completely.
Leander - Ag
AG
Man have we benefitted from realignment. Tech was once on our radar. Now I don't even notice they exist.
one MEEN Ag
AG
If you're worth 100MM, there's a lot of cities that sound attractive. Those west Texas oil guys are more than happy to build a 5 million dollar palace out there and stay close to the wellhead. Most of those guys would hate to live in River Oaks or anywhere in Houston because of the humidity. They don't need to be in Highland Park either to make the connections and decisions.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
Wouldn't be surprised if it's Briles, either Art of Kendal.
BrandoC
AG
Do not sit there and think big time boosters didn't have a say in in hiring Jimbo. Yes Scott Woodward but big money had just as much say....
Divining Rod
Quote:

Most of those guys would hate to live in River Oaks or anywhere in Houston because of the humidity.

uh, yeah, the humidity....
MooreTrucker
AG
Bob Loblaws Law Blog said:

Wouldn't be surprised if it's Briles, either Art of Kendal.
It will be neither one.
MooreTrucker
AG
BrandoC said:

Do not sit there and think big time boosters didn't have a say in in hiring Jimbo. Yes Scott Woodward but big money had just as much say....
LOL...big money doesn't always talk or Tceh would be coached by Holgerson right now.
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
"All you need to know about Texas Tech..."

Sorry. Try again. That is FAR more than a person needs to know about the sand fleas.

Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
theboynamedsue
AG
Amarillo? Yes - made his money in tech at Tyler Technologies
PeekingDuck
AG
This isn't just Texas Tech. It is every program in the country with any money behind it.
Divining Rod
The surprise is not that money is behind it, just the optics- a guy steps up and plops down 20MM, the coach is almost immediately fired, and the payor doesnt pull strings in background- he's actually on the search committee. but he IS a regent, so that does alter it…
agent-maroon
AG
Yes Amarillo Tascosa. I was in the same class as one of his younger sisters.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
fightinag
StrykerAg said:

Imagine having $20 million to spare and spending it on fking Texas TECH
fify
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
Teacher_Ag
AG
As an Ag who lived most of his life in the Panhandle, watching Tech continue to be a joke is poetic for me. Seeing all the "Wreck'em" posts on my FB before embarrassing losses will never get old for me.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Tech is beyond stupid in how they manage football. Wells inherited a mess at a place that is not easy for recruiting. He deserved 4 years. Only a fool would take a job there.
NyAggie
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

You are delusional if you don't think the biggest of big $ Aggie boosters were not involved in the Jimbo hiring.....

With Woodward at the helm, I'm sure he said I'm hiring jimbo fisher, give me your money if you're in, and I'm sure they were like yeehaawww!! Here's my blank check
Divining Rod
^probably pretty true. also agree w Bulaw that was too short a hook for Wells. TIFWIW though, i heard kind of 4th hand that the players were not all that sad to see him go.
StinkyPinky
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Tech is beyond stupid in how they manage football. Wells inherited a mess at a place that is not easy for recruiting. He deserved 4 years. Only a fool would take a job there.

Yes, and even greater fools would let great coaches get away (or allow certain prima donna parents force certain coaches out). Tech has had the right skippers a few time but failed to capitalize.
Tramp96
TexAg15 said:

Kliff was a great hire. Just didn't work out there, because maybe no one will after the pirate put a curse on them. Kliff can clearly coach.
But he can't (or won't) recruit. His downfall at Tech was due to two things:
1. Couldn't/wouldn't recruit.
2. Made lazy DC hires, causing the AD to step in and force him to hire the last DC, which also was a trainwreck. If KK hadn't been so dismissive of who he had as a DC, he would have been more successful, at least until the talent dried up from his lack of recruiting.
Harry Dunne
Dustin R. Womble has committed a $20 million gift to fund and name the Dustin R. Womble Football Center

https://texastech.com/news/2021/10/8/football-texas-tech-announces-largest-one-time-gift-in-athletics-history.aspx

Quote:

The lead gift will help Texas Tech continue to reshape its athletics facilities with the help of Womble, who already provided more than $10 million to fund a state-of-the-art basketball practice facility in his name, the Dustin R. Womble Basketball Center that opened this past May across from United Supermarkets Arena.
Is it normal to name stuff after yourself?
Jimbo4win
AG
My AIDS are flaring up just reading this thread.
Diet Cokehead
AG
You have to deliver a lot of pizzas to make $100M.
20ag07
Quote:

Is that a joke? Have you ever been to our campus?!?
GoAgs92
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Franchione
Sherman
Sumlin

MooreTrucker
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Dustin R. Womble has committed a $20 million gift to fund and name the Dustin R. Womble Football Center

https://texastech.com/news/2021/10/8/football-texas-tech-announces-largest-one-time-gift-in-athletics-history.aspx

Quote:

The lead gift will help Texas Tech continue to reshape its athletics facilities with the help of Womble, who already provided more than $10 million to fund a state-of-the-art basketball practice facility in his name, the Dustin R. Womble Basketball Center that opened this past May across from United Supermarkets Arena.
LOL...you don't go to college campuses often do you?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Oyster DuPree said:

Reginald Thistlebottom "Dusty" Womble III

The guy from Midsummer Night's Dream?
TAM85
Yeah, maybe so.
Divining Rod
GoAgs92 said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Franchione
Sherman
Sumlin

Point? Fran got 5 years, Sherman 4, Sumlin 6. Wells got 2.5

not to mention it is comparatively easy to recruit to A&M.
Agsuffering@bulaw
We didn't fire the beat coach in our history after a 9-3 season, over trumped up nonsense.

Hocutt and the rest of that circus were offended that leach strong armed them into paying him what he was worth.

We pay our coaches. Often excessively. We give them sufficient time to prove or disprove themselves.

Yes, we have made some unwise moves. They are on a whole different level of folly.
Steeeg 91
AG
Is a Dusty Womble anything like a Dirty Sanchez?
Tramp96
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

We didn't fire the beat coach in our history after a 9-3 season, over trumped up nonsense.

Hocutt and the rest of that circus were offended that leach strong armed them into paying him what he was worth.

We pay our coaches. Often excessively. We give them sufficient time to prove or disprove themselves.

Yes, we have made some unwise moves. They are on a whole different level of folly.
Maybe you should actually know the facts before posting:

1. Kirby H. wasn't even the AD when that happened. He didn't arrive at Tech until two years later.
2. Hance asked Leach to sign a letter stating he upholds the safety of his student athletes.
3. Leach refused to sign the letter.
4. Hance suspended Leach from coaching the Alamo Bowl. That was it.
5. Leach sued in response.
6. Hance fired Leach for suing.
7. The best coach in Tech history was probably Steve Sloan.
8. Anyone paying attention knew that Matt Wells was regressing, not progressing. The writing was on the wall very early...he was in way over his head.

Now I'm not defending Hance nor Leach in this whole fiasco, just want to make sure the actual facts of the case are known rather than that drivel posted above.

Harry Dunne
MooreTrucker said:

Harry Dunne said:

Quote:

Obviously not.

It just seems narcissistic to not at least name it the Wobble Family Center.
Tramp96
Harry Dunne said:

MooreTrucker said:

Harry Dunne said:

Quote:

Obviously not.

It just seems narcissistic to not at least name it the Wobble Family Center.
You need to visit the SMU campus if you want to see some narcissism when it comes to things being named for donors.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.