Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

October 21, 1967. This day in Aggie Football... Bill Hobbs

5,909 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Upperdeck Critic
socalpoohah
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was in Camp Hobbs at fish camp in 1990 as a counselor.
F4GIB71
Since vehicles were rare for fish in those days (my outfit started with 53 fish and only one had a car), we rode to Denton for the Pig Push with one of our Serge Butts. One of our fish was dating a Tessie so we were set up with blind dates. Mine was a Moose Pot candidate but he swapped mine with another fish. We were on our own for where to stay and how to get to Ft Worth the next day. Amazing how resourceful fish can be. We planned to hitchhike the next day but met a guy at the PP who had been an Aggie but was learning to fly helicopters at Ft Wolters. He let us crash in his motel room and gave us a ride to the Corps parade that AM.

On a side note, a great friend '72 won the Moose Pot one Corps Trip. Said it paid for a full semester tuition.
oldord
AG
Moose pot story…fish decided to not participate one time. Fish with an actual girlfriend won it by default.

He did not know how to explain it to her why he won this "moose pot"

Of course as a good classmate I made
His job easy and told her.

She had a bit of a hurt look in her eye. Heard later she took the cash and made him take her shopping since she was the reason he won it.
aggiejim70
AG
On the off chance your '72 friend lived in dorm 9 as a fish ask him if he remembers hanging out the window yelling MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE as the FTAB formed up to go to Kyle Field for the '68 TCU game. Not one of the days they talk about at fish camp.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
F4GIB71
aggiejim70 said:

On the off chance your '72 friend lived in dorm 9 as a fish ask him if he remembers hanging out the window yelling MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE as the FTAB formed up to go to Kyle Field for the '68 TCU game. Not one of the days they talk about at fish camp.
My friend had a log roll his leg working bonfire. Multiple compound fractures. Lost his AF contract and limped until he died a couple of years ago. Stayed in the Corps as D&C. He was in Squadron 3, BC3.

Here.
BOZO
AG
OleArmyBQ68 said:

I was at the game. White Band C.O. and left guide of the Bugle Rank.
I loved Billy Hobbs. He used to sit in a lawn chair in front of the jock dorm and charge us $.25 to walk across their lawn.
This!! you had to cross that area from the fish parking lot.... same result.
BQ68
AG
Page 5, picture of the Band. Did I look good at 128 pounds as the Maroon Band Drum Major!
bqce
AG
So the right guide was Henry Cisneros (Combined Band Commander), the left guide was Dennis Parrish (White Band skipper), and the drum major (Maroon Band )pictured is you?
oklacityag75
AG
Upperdeck Critic said:

On this date in 1967, Bill Hobbs, Aggie Linebacker ( Amarillo Tascosa ) intercepted a pass in the end zone as TCU was threatening to score and returned it 100 yards for an Aggie Touchdown to the opposite end zone. The game was played in Amon G. Carter stadium in Fort Worth. Hobbs was twice an All-American linebacker and went on to play with the Philadelphia Eagles and New England. He died in 2004.

As a footnote, does any Aggie remember that game and recall the stadium lights going out and leaving the field in darkness for a short period of time. I recall the announcer for the Humble Football network mentioned it when it happened.

By the way, the Aggies defeated TCU 20-0 and went on to win the next 5 games, win the SWC championship and defeat Alabama in the the 1968 Cotton Bowl. One of my favorite all time Aggie football players.
I was at a Lake Highlands football game listening to the game on my transistor radio (that ought to date my a$$!) I remember that play to the this day. I went nuts yelling while everyone else around me looked at me like...WTH!..LHHS was not doing well and I was going crazy.

That '67 team was one of my favorite Aggie teams. I was at the 1968 Bama vs TAMU Cotton Bowl. An amazing win over the Bear and the Snake.
Upperdeck Critic
It is nice to know that you keep his memory alive, Mrs. Hobbs! He is one of my most favorite players. I was in the 9th grade that autumn of '67 and saw him and the Aggies play Texas Tech in Lubbock in October. This was my first Aggie and SWC football game to attend. He and the late Buster Adami were a great tandem at Linebacker. I lived on a farm about 35 miles southwest of Amarillo at the time near Dawn Texas and my older brother and I had tickets to the game that night. One of the best games I've ever attended. The 1967 Texas Aggie football team is a special one in Aggie History. Gig'em Aggies! Gig'em Billy Hobbs!
Upperdeck Critic
I believe that was when a Baylor player committed a fragrant flow against Sonny Benefield as I recall. Didn't Billy Bob Barnett come out of the stands to take charge of the situation? I recall listening to Mike Mistovich describe the scene over KRLD that night.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.