Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Takeaways

1,516 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Wdiss
Fishwrangler11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not a pretty win but glad to be getting back into our "beating the spread" ways. Here are my takeaways:
- Our oline appears to finally be starting to mature and develop, especially in the run game.
- The defense isn't the shutdown type we were hoping for at the beginning of the year BUT if they can continue to force multiple turnovers a game, I'd rather have that anyway. Offense needs to do more with them.
- Coach needs to set up Calzada for more deep shots.l to receivers. It seems like most big plays are to RBs and TEs. No reason WRs shouldn't be more involved. Clearly, Anais could if given the opportunity.
- Calzada has to hit more of the passes to the RBs.
- Inexcusable misses in the kicking game.
We're either 2 or 3 in the West and certainly could win out if our d continues to force TOs and the passing improves to level commiserate with our running game. I don't think the defense will change much.
Alpha Texan
AG
All good points.

I'm curious if our OL would be better if we kept last week's OL that allowed no sacks. I didn't pay super close attention to Johnson all game, but he seemed to be struggling a lot, and I think Calzada may feel more comfortable with Green guarding the blind side edge. Maybe Johnson just be a step slow, coming off that injury.

It could be that Calzada just wasn't finding them today, but I felt like our receivers weren't running routes that just spread the secondary at the seams and created space.

Maybe it's time to send Caden Davis out for the longer kicks. I know we saw him hammer a really deep one in the spring game, but the staff surely knows better than me.
PatriotAg02
AG
Alpha Texan said:

All good points.

I'm curious if our OL would be better if we kept last week's OL that allowed no sacks. I didn't pay super close attention to Johnson all game, but he seemed to be struggling a lot, and I think Calzada may feel more comfortable with Green guarding the blind side edge. Maybe Johnson just be a step slow, coming off that injury.

It could be that Calzada just wasn't finding them today, but I felt like our receivers weren't running routes that just spread the secondary at the seams and created space.

Maybe it's time to send Caden Davis out for the longer kicks. I know we saw him hammer a really deep one in the spring game, but the staff surely knows better than me.
I don't think Johnson was injured. He was the team rules offender.
Alpha Texan
AG
PatriotAg02 said:

Alpha Texan said:

All good points.

I don't think Johnson was injured. He was the team rules offender.
You're right! I forgot that's why he was out last week. I'm thinking of earlier in the year, I think he went down against Colorado for a quarter or two.
Wdiss
Calzada isn't very crisp on touch passes and screens…
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.