Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Yikes...Jackson's Charges bumped up to felony!

12,401 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Sea Speed
AggieBlu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A judge looking at the way this was handle may throw the whole case out
https://theeagle.com/sports/college/aggiesports/football/charges-against-texas-a-ms-mckinnley-jackson-bumped-from-misdemeanor-to-felony/article_4a7f896a-167a-11ec-ba05-836b91552605.html
I will never understand how someone can tell so many lies and not feel bad about it...
SEC Champs
AG
Me thinks this isn't good.
Bill Superman
AG
Boosters will take care of this one under the NIL
PatriotAg02
AG
Drug lab in Austin, eh?
W
AG
need him against the Hogs.

better let this play out in the court system first and everything
AggieArchitect04
AG

Quote:

Jackson has yet to be indicted for the second-degree felony charge. Indictments on felony drug charges are not issued until the results of lab testing on the substances are completed, Maltsberger said. Jackson is scheduled to return to court Feb. 23.
So he can play all season then?
Dave Robicheaux
AG
Weird
Deplorable
For weed. Man, **** CSPD.
Shoefly!
AG
If it was weed it'd been a slap on the hand. Other drug involved, being tested at DPS lab.
KidDoc
AG
OG UNF said:

And Ketamine, that is a pretty serious drug.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
millertyme
AG
KidDoc said:

OG UNF said:

Not if he has a horse...
Bunk Moreland
millertyme said:

KidDoc said:

OG UNF said:

Not if he has a horse...

Or is depressed. Because of course that's what he was using it for. He just knew he needed to focus on football season so he picked up a 6 month supply all at once.
longeryak
KidDoc said:

OG UNF said:

It wasn't just the Ketamine but with how many doses he had there was no chance arguing personal use.
trueaggie2782
AG
millertyme said:

KidDoc said:

OG UNF said:

Not if he has a horse...

lil_frog8
AG
Vet School research project!
Fighting Texas Aggie class of '04
Agsquatch
AG
he's a sophomore, and his trial isn't until feb

he plays all this year and that give Jimbo time to find his replacement. We good.
Sterling82
OG UNF said:

Here we go again. Actually I didn't learn anything new from that article other than his February court date. I guess the school requires an indictment before taking action.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
millertyme said:

KidDoc said:

OG UNF said:

Not if he has a horse...

Not like he had Ivermectin on him. That is serious.
https://i.postimg.cc/rpHKr9JQ/IMG-0770.jpg
AgOutsideAustin
AG
trueaggie2782 said:

millertyme said:

KidDoc said:

OG UNF said:

Not if he has a horse...

"Some of these guys are pretty big"
- H. Stamper
Geriatric Punk
AG
longeryak said:

KidDoc said:

OG UNF said:

It wasn't just the Ketamine but with how many doses he had there was no chance arguing personal use.
Clearly, you're not familiar with the Costco defense.
Martin Cash
AG
Sterling82 said:

OG UNF said:

Here we go again. Actually I didn't learn anything new from that article other than his February court date. I guess the school requires an indictment before taking action.
He won't be going to trial in February. DPS lab takes close to a year and a half to test.
TMartin
Jackson needs to redeem himself in every way possible between now and Feb.
Lot100Rep
AG
Pretty standard prosecutorial practice to charge as seriously as possible. In this case it's likely to increase leverage in a potential pre-trial agreement and not to send him to prison.
fightintxaggie10
AG
Dangerous to take recreationally?
TAM85
Lot100Rep said:

Pretty standard prosecutorial practice to charge as seriously as possible. In this case it's likely to increase leverage in a potential pre-trial agreement and not to send him to prison.
So charge high and offer lower for a plea?
KidDoc
AG
fightintxaggie10 said:

Dangerous to take recreationally?
Hell yes. Here are the listed adverse reactions via Epocrates:
Serious Reactions
  • respiratory depression
  • laryngospasm
  • ICP incr.
  • IOP incr.
  • hypotension, severe
  • bradycardia, severe
  • arrhythmia
  • emergence delirium
  • tonic clonic movements
  • anaphylaxis
  • abuse
  • dependency (prolonged high-dose use)
  • withdrawal sx (long-term use)
  • liver injury (repeat use)
  • hydronephrosis (long-term use)
  • hematuria (long-term use)
  • hemorrhagic cystitis (long-term use)
  • behavioral changes or cognitive deficits (>3h use in pts <3 yo)
  • behavioral changes or cognitive deficits (repeat admin. in pts <3 yo)
Common Reactions
  • sialorrhea
  • anorexia
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • BP elevated
  • HR elevated
  • diplopia
  • nystagmus
  • lacrimation
  • fasciculations
  • depressed reflexes
  • emergence delirium
  • bradycardia
  • hypotension
  • cystitis

There are much worse drugs of course but it isn't ibuprofen.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GIGEM1
AG
Martin Cash said:

Sterling82 said:

OG UNF said:

He won't be going to trial in February. DPS lab takes close to a year and a half to test.

DPS had lab results back on my case in less than a month...
Gig'em
Maroon Flash
AG
Jimbo said he's back this week.
pete85
AG
Sterling82 said:

OG UNF said:

And OJ was charged with 2 counts of 1st degree murder... how'd that turn out? Innocent until proven guilty. I've been on trial where LEO's lied under oath without blinking an eye. Trust the process and let him have his day in court.
AggieArchitect04
AG
GIGEM1 said:

Martin Cash said:

Sterling82 said:

OG UNF said:

DPS had lab results back on my case in less than a month...
Gig'em

How much ketamine did you have?
MrCoachEricTaylor
OG UNF said:

Also, it clearly says UPD
Smeghead4761
AggieBlu said:

A judge looking at the way this was handle may throw the whole case out
https://theeagle.com/sports/college/aggiesports/football/charges-against-texas-a-ms-mckinnley-jackson-bumped-from-misdemeanor-to-felony/article_4a7f896a-167a-11ec-ba05-836b91552605.html

The sports reporter really should have brought in a crime reporter, or someone who understands the Texas legal system. Jackson's lawyer blew enough smoke up the reporter's butt that you'd think he was a chimney.

Because a crime reporter would know to check county jail and court records.

Jail booking records

Court records. Just enter Jackson's name.

The jail booking records show that Jackon has only ever been arrested and booked for Possession of Marijuana < 2 oz (Class B Misdemeanor) and Poss of a Controlled Substance, Penalty Group 1 4>200g (Felony 2), both on August 5, 2021. That would be the warrant arrest last month.

The court records show that Jackson has been charged with 2 traffic violations, Possession of Drug Paraphernalia (Class C misdemeanor, same level as a traffic citation.), and Possession of Marijuana < 2 oz, plus a scheduled hearing (not trial) on Feb 23, 2022, for an "Unindicted felony.) That would be the Ketamine, i.e Controlled Substance, PG1.

At this point, McKinnley has only been arrested for the felony, not formally charged by the court. That's because in Texas, all felony indictments must be approved by a grand jury. I would assume that hearing is scheduled sometime between now and Feb 23.

So, what actually happened (I'm not personally involved, but I know how the system works).

- Weed and pills get found and turned in to police. Jackson goes to the police, probably after they contacted him, and says the stuff is his. Jackson tells the police that the pills are Xanax (Xanax comes in white bar shaped pills, not blue pills, FYI). Since Jackson told the police that the pills were Xanax, that's what would have gone in the initial police report. Jackson was not arrested for anything at that point.

Police send the pills to the DPS lab to be tested. Wait 3 months, DPS sends the results back, and the pills are ketamine, not Xanax. Police do their paperwork, and send it to a judge to get an arrest warrant for the mairjuana, and the ketamine. Jackson is arrested, booked, and bonds out on Aug 5.

What I'm going to guess happened this week, and generated the headline, is that the court hearing for the actual charging for the ketamine was put on the court docket.

Note that the February court date is probably just charging, not an actual trial. Given the current speed of teh Brazos county courts, Jackson will be eligible for the NFL draft before any actual trial happens.
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
NIL deal with Purdue Pharmaceutical

Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
Ag in Tiger Country
AG
I'm fairly certain Jackson & the cops thought he had Xanax, but since it was allegedly proven to be Ketamine instead, then this is a case of bad/ counterfeit pills (made in India &/or by the Cartel).
jsmc71
AG
Most cases have multiple, non-dispositive court dates (even a misdemeanor only case) before an actual trial court date is even set.

They are dates for defense attorneys to request/get discovery (State's evidence) and negotiate with the DA's re the merits/lack thereof or discuss legality of any arrest/search/procedures used for testing; and/or equities/mitigating factors if a defendant is likely to lose at trial but there are circumstances in the defendant's personal life or surrounding the offense a defense attorney wants the DA to consider (as far as pleas go).

While most courts have a standing order about a time limit by which cases need to be resolved (or tried) they are usually more guidelines than requirements. Felonies cases can easily last a year before a trial date is even set. In my experience though, the court dates before an actual trial date - once they start - usually occur about every 30-45 days (judge wants to make sure the defendant is still around/addressing the case).
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.