Story Poster
Photo by Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Learned, Loved, Loathed: Texas A&M 10, Colorado 7

September 12, 2021

Some A&M football fans have to learn to love all victories.

The Aggies’ 10-7 victory over Colorado wasn’t pretty, but it was easy to love the way the Aggies found a way to pull out the win. Even if you have to learn to love it.

What I learned

Defense can carry the Aggies: Mike Elko’s crew wasn’t perfect … well, not in the first half, anyway. The defense was near perfect in the second half and made clutch stops in the first half. The Aggies allowed Colorado just 54 yards of offense and one first down in shutting out the Buffaloes in the third and fourth quarters.

Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Antonio Johnson and the Aggie defense came up large throughout the contest.

Antonio Johnson is a rising star: The sophomore nickel back just keeps getting better. He led the Aggies with nine tackles and two pass breakups. A&M’s defense is loaded with high-level players. Johnson is one of them.

Isaiah Spiller has outstanding hands: Maybe we already knew that, but not to the degree he showed with his final two catches. He made a tough grab of a hard, low-and-away throw for a first down on third-and-8 to the Colorado 19-yard line. Three plays later, he made a nice over-the-shoulder grab on an arcing pass for the game-winning touchdown.

What I loved

The clutch defense: The Aggies rose up when needed most. Colorado had a 7-0 lead and momentum. The Buffaloes were looking to add to their lead in the second quarter. They had first down at the A&M 22-yard line, but DeMarvin Leal made a tackle for a 3-yard loss on first down. On second down, Keldrick Carper had a tackle for a yard loss. Leon O’Neal broke up a pass on third down. Colorado missed a field goal attempt on fourth down. Later, the Buffaloes advanced to the A&M 5 where they were stopped on fourth-and-one by Micheal Clemons.

Zach Calzada’s resilience: Frankly, Calzada was languishing through perhaps the worst game by an A&M quarterback since Kyle Allen’s 12-of-34 debacle in a 23-3 loss to Ole Miss in 2015. Calzada was struggling with his passing accuracy throughout the game and lost a fumble in the Colorado end zone. However, he came back on A&M’s final series to complete 4-of-7 passes for 63 yards and a game-winning touchdown pass. Overall, he completed 18-of-38 passes for 183 yards.

Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Despite the scare, the Aggies still walked away victorious with their championship dreams still alive.

Winning: It wasn’t pretty, but it’s a win. True, Aggies were expected to win by a wider margin. So were a lot of other ranked teams. No. 8 Notre Dame had to rally to defeat Toledo, 32-29. No. 22 Miami needed a late field goal to edge Appalachian State, 25-23. And No. 15 Texas was soundly defeated by Arkansas, 40-21.

What I loathed

Haynes King’s injury: The redshirt freshman quarterback looked promising in last week’s win over Kent State. He only played six offensive plays before suffering an apparently ankle injury that could sideline him for several weeks.

The lack of running plays: Although the Aggies weren’t having tremendous success with the running game, giving Isaiah Spiller and Devon Achane more touches seemed prudent when Calzada was struggling. They combined for just 15 rushes.

Offensive line run blocking: A&M was frequently beaten on the line of scrimmage, which at least to some degree explains the previous item.

Discussion from...

Learned, Loved, Loathed: Texas A&M 10, Colorado 7

23,000 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Corn Pop
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Corn Pop
" He only played six offensive plays before suffering an apparently ankle injury that could sideline him for several weeks."

Know something that hasn't been announced yet? It's either a high ankle sprain that he sits out next week, takes a cortisone shot and is back by Arkansas. Or it's a break and you call the season a wash.
lead
Didn't put ZC's play under "loathed"?
jja79
AG
Allen's debacle at Ole Miss was 100% on Sumlin. You don't play a kid that's hurt. I loathed the play calling.
TxFig
AG
Put this under "loathed":

Jimbo needs to give the backup QB more plays with the 1st string during practice. EVERY WEEK.

He made this mistake last year giving Mond virtually all of the practice and playing time. And he's doing it again. It's a fact of life that QBs get hurt - and if you don't have a backup ready to play - that is on the head coach.
Traveler
AG
TxFig said:

Jimbo needs to give the backup QB more plays with the 1st string during practice. EVERY WEEK.

He made this mistake last year giving Mond virtually all of the practice and playing time. And he's doing it again. It's a fact of life that QBs get hurt - and if you don't have a backup ready to play - that is on the head coach.
Ah yes, I recall sadly all the games we lost last year because the backup QB was not prepared to come in and win the game. Difficult times indeed, we must fire Jimbo.
flashplayer
AG
Corn Pop said:

" He only played six offensive plays before suffering an apparently ankle injury that could sideline him for several weeks."

Know something that hasn't been announced yet? It's either a high ankle sprain that he sits out next week, takes a cortisone shot and is back by Arkansas. Or it's a break and you call the season a wash.

Know how I know you have no idea what a high ankle sprain is?
Corn Pop
High ankle sprains absolutely suck but most of the time a walking boot during the week and a cortisone shot will alleviate it enough to play on it.
12thMan9
AG
Wrong.

Ankle is broke, had surgery this a.m.
Ronnie '88
Corn Pop
Never claimed either or, smartass. Thanks for the breaking news that no one else has reported on yet!
12thMan9
AG
You made a dumb ass comment about high ankle sprains, own it.

And, you're welcome on the unannounced news.
Ronnie '88
AG81
AG
Corn Pop said:

Never claimed either or, smartass. Thanks for the breaking news that no one else has reported on yet!

You going to apologize to 12thMan9 when Jimbo officially announces tomorrow that King had surgery?

Better start practicing. He's right.
Corn Pop
Signem
Well, A&M never has claimed to have every graduate (major assumption here that you wear a ring) be a stand up guy/gal. If you aren't man enough to admit you put your mouth (fingers) in gear before you had all the facts, I guess you voted for Biden too. Smart choice. Let's just be glad we got the win, and move on. The players seemed to show the body language that they were all behind Calzada. Let's just pray the kid has the resilience of Kellon Mond and improves like he did. As well as, King getting another year of eligibility for a medical redshirt.
Corn Pop
Signem said:

Well, A&M never has claimed to have every graduate (major assumption here that you wear a ring) be a stand up guy/gal. If you aren't man enough to admit you put your mouth (fingers) in gear before you had all the facts, I guess you voted for Biden too. Smart choice. Let's just be glad we got the win, and move on. The players seemed to show the body language that they were all behind Calzada. Let's just pray the kid has the resilience of Kellon Mond and improves like he did. As well as, King getting another year of eligibility for a medical redshirt.

Lord have mercy, where is everyone's reading comprehension? There was not a definitive statement made.

"Know something that hasn't been announced yet? It's either a high ankle sprain that he sits out next week, takes a cortisone shot and is back by Arkansas. Or it's a break and you call the season a wash."

Notice the "either"? I have no inside knowledge and don't pretend to, but when the article was written that was a fair either/or assessment. I've got nothing to apologize for. High ankle sprains absolutely suck. Battled them through my playing days in school. Obviously there are different levels of severity that change the recovery timeframe. If what was said was true about surgery that sucks for the King and wish Calzada all the luck in the world. I get that we just lost our quarterback, and everyone is on edge around here but lord y'all need to take a deep breath and have a drink. Everything's going to be ok. By the way, way to throw politics in as well trying to make it personal. Couldn't be further from the truth.
12thMan9
AG
Corn Pop said:

Signem said:

Lord have mercy, where is everyone's reading comprehension? There was not a definitive statement made.

"Know something that hasn't been announced yet? It's either a high ankle sprain that he sits out next week, takes a cortisone shot and is back by Arkansas. Or it's a break and you call the season a wash."

Notice the "either"? I have no inside knowledge and don't pretend to, but when the article was written that was a fair either/or assessment. I've got nothing to apologize for. High ankle sprains absolutely suck. Battled them through my playing days in school. Obviously there are different levels of severity that change the recovery timeframe. If what was said was true about surgery that sucks for the King and wish Calzada all the luck in the world. I get that we just lost our quarterback, and everyone is on edge around here but lord y'all need to take a deep breath and have a drink. Everything's going to be ok. By the way, way to throw politics in as well trying to make it personal. Couldn't be further from the truth.

You just doubled down on the dumb assery.

https://www.healthline.com/health/how-long-does-it-take-for-a-sprained-ankle-to-heal

I understand why u & Biden became friends.
Ronnie '88
Corn Pop
Didn't realize I was dealing with a doctor that was going to zero in on one thing in a situation that we had, and still technically don't have any official statement on, even though I do think you're being truthful. Forgive me for hypothetically putting a timeline out there on a whim on an injury I made clear I knew nothing about. That is what you decide to go into frenzy mode over? Lol

Sorry that my hypothetical timeline on an injury I made very clear I had no knowledge of offended you. Again with the politics, man. Truly can't be further from the truth.

13B
I think the politics schtick is them messing with you because of your username.
Corn Pop
I know.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.