Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What this Sip has heard

37,446 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Emilio Fantastico
UT 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I used to be a regular on this board but once aTm left for the SEC I pretty much quit coming to this board.

Before I state what I've heard a few things.

I played for UT during the early 90's when we got our asses absolutely destroyed by the Wrecking Crew outside of the 90 season. I have the utmost respect for the guys I played against back in those days and I was crushed when learning of the passing of Rodney Thomas back in 2014. I simply had unbelievable respect for him on and off the field.

I also totally understand and will be the first to admit that Texas killed the Big 12 conference. I know others say Texas killed the SWC but I don't buy that narrative. But the Big 12, Texas ego and always dictating everything ruined what imop could have been a well positioned conference for growth in the future. I despised Deloss Dodss, Fenves and almost all of UT's administration during those years.

I'm not some sort of BMD but I am fairly well connected and so you can take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt.

OU was the originator which should not be that surprising. They have been disgruntled with the Big 12 for quite some time but Texas and OU made the decision they were a package deal several years ago.

The schools made the decision in about 2019 that the likelihood either would extend their GOR past 2025 was unlikely.

Texas and OU reached out to SEC in the late November/Early December time frame. I was told only a few schools were brought in initially with those likely being Bama, Auburn, Georgia and Florida. Things starting moving fairly quickly from then on with aTm, Arkansas and Mizzou being kept in the dark.

The next part I struggle to accept but this is what I heard. When Texas hired Sark and his staff (several from Bama) part of their messaging was that Texas and OU would be moving to the SEC as these coaches were reluctant to leave the SEC. Texas discussed this with Beard when he came over from Tech.

If the move occurs look for no later than 2023 and it could be as early as 2022.

Why is the SEC interested. Obviously speculative but some of the notes I've heard.

While aTm and LSU deliver much of East Texas and the Houston markets they have not really had a great ratings impact on the rest of Texas especially the I-35 corridor from San Antonio to DFW and West. Adding Texas and OU delivers almost the entire Texas market plus OK.

There is concern of a Texas/OU package with Notre Dame to either the Big 10 or ACC..

I've heard that the new media rights package will move the payday per school from $44M per year to over $60M per year..

Simply put the Texas and OU brands were something that the SEC did not think they could pass up.

The belief is the announcement could come as early as 1st week of August if not sooner. However, this is not a done deal yet and still a fluid situation.

I will say as a former player, removing all of the politics from the table, I look forward to this game being played again. All I have to do is look at the atmosphere earlier this year at Olsen field on a Tuesday night that speaks to the fun of the games between these two universities. Yet at the same time I fully understand why aTm fans and administrators are 100000X against this realignment.

Hook'Em
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Thanks for posting. I wish your school and athletic department nothing but the worst.
Waltonloads08
AG
interesting comments, thanks.
ChemEAg08
AG
Thanks for sharing. Now **** off.
Bunk Moreland
Thanks for sharing. I had heard some speculation it could be $70MM+ per school once it all shakes out.
rootube
AG
Haha! You think A&M is only an East Texas regional interest. You really are reading from the horn script.
WorkTogetherAgs
AG
Cheaters.
hunter2012
AG
cevans_40
AG
UT 93 said:

I used to be a regular on this board but once aTm left for the SEC I pretty much quit coming to this board.

Before I state what I've heard a few things.

I played for UT during the early 90's when we got our asses absolutely destroyed by the Wrecking Crew outside of the 90 season. I have the utmost respect for the guys I played against back in those days and I was crushed when learning of the passing of Rodney Thomas back in 2014. I simply had unbelievable respect for him on and off the field.

I also totally understand and will be the first to admit that Texas killed the Big 12 conference. I know others say Texas killed the SWC but I don't buy that narrative. But the Big 12, Texas ego and always dictating everything ruined what imop could have been a well positioned conference for growth in the future. I despised Deloss Dodss, Fenves and almost all of UT's administration during those years.

I'm not some sort of BMD but I am fairly well connected and so you can take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt.

OU was the originator which should not be that surprising. They have been disgruntled with the Big 12 for quite some time but Texas and OU made the decision they were a package deal several years ago.

The schools made the decision in about 2019 that the likelihood either would extend their GOR past 2025 was unlikely.

Texas and OU reached out to SEC in the late November/Early December time frame. I was told only a few schools were brought in initially with those likely being Bama, Auburn, Georgia and Florida. Things starting moving fairly quickly from then on with aTm, Arkansas and Mizzou being kept in the dark.

The next part I struggle to accept but this is what I heard. When Texas hired Sark and his staff (several from Bama) part of their messaging was that Texas and OU would be moving to the SEC as these coaches were reluctant to leave the SEC. Texas discussed this with Beard when he came over from Tech.

If the move occurs look for no later than 2023 and it could be as early as 2022.

Why is the SEC interested. Obviously speculative but some of the notes I've heard.

While aTm and LSU deliver much of East Texas and the Houston markets they have not really had a great ratings impact on the rest of Texas especially the I-35 corridor from San Antonio to DFW and West. Adding Texas and OU delivers almost the entire Texas market plus OK.

There is concern of a Texas/OU package with Notre Dame to either the Big 10 or ACC..

I've heard that the new media rights package will move the payday per school from $44M per year to over $60M per year..

Simply put the Texas and OU brands were something that the SEC did not think they could pass up.

The belief is the announcement could come as early as 1st week of August if not sooner. However, this is not a done deal yet and still a fluid situation.

I will say as a former player, removing all of the politics from the table, I look forward to this game being played again. All I have to do is look at the atmosphere earlier this year at Olsen field on a Tuesday night that speaks to the fun of the games between these two universities. Yet at the same time I fully understand why aTm fans and administrators are 100000X against this realignment.

Hook'Em

The old sliver argument again?
Mac94
AG
Quote:

Makes some sense esp given the OU and Florida played in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. Easy for officials from those two to engage in off the record conversations during bowl prep.
Bill Superman
AG
Screw that.

It's time we throw our weight around. We should threaten to leave the conference. We can go back to the big12 and actually make something of it. Invite UH and SMU back and maybe even invite Missouri, Arkansas and whoever the hell else would join and run the show.

We need to quit pretending like we can't do things on our own. Hell I'd even prefer to go independent like ND than put up with this garbage.
azhector72
I hate you guys!

But, I see this as a good thing as the majority of the Aggs are still living in the past.

I have stated before, you are not the enemy today, Oregon, OSU and Clemson are the enemy especially with NIL.

Those schools are nothing without Texas recruits, I mean nothing.

Keep them in state!! There is enough blue chip recruits in Texas and we cant get them all, but stay in state!!

Welcome to the SEC and looking forward to kicking you ass, at least for the next five years, after that it will be interesting.

Peace
Gigem!
angus55
I will say that your Deloss sliver point is BS. AGGIES have delivered all of Texas. The SEC is interested more in keeping them out of Big 10 if tu and meth u are free agents vs. needing ratings.
We'll win this war, but we'll win it only by fighting and by showing the Germans that we've got more guts than they have, or ever will have. We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-b******, were going to rip out their living G*******d guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun c********** by the bushel-f****** basket. War is a bloody killing business. You've got to spill their blood or they will spill yours. Rip them up the belly. Shot them in the guts.
ToddyHill
AG
If this is true, then I'm terribly disappointed with the SEC. Knowing they purposely kept three schools in the dark tells me they aren't the unified group I'd hoped for. The BOR and Athletic Department must feel they've been sucker punched.
AGinHI
AG
You seem like a pleasant enough fellow, so don't take it personal when I say

Your program is nothing but a bunch of cheating, lying, self-righteous, egotistical, double dealing *******s.

**** like what your program pulls ruins sports for me.
bwmammoth
AG
Solid post, but questions if tu joins SEC:

Will tu band play fight song?

Will tu continue dildo marches?

Will tu be "back?"

A Net Full of Jello
AG
I know it goes against the sip code of conduct, but try to not screw up THIS conference like y'all did the previous ones.
Pepe SiIvia
AG
Bill Superman said:

Screw that.

It's time we throw our weight around. We should threaten to leave the conference. We can go back to the big12 and actually make something of it. Invite UH and SMU back and maybe even invite Missouri, Arkansas and whoever the hell else would join and run the show.

We need to quit pretending like we can't do things on our own. Hell I'd even prefer to go independent like ND than put up with this garbage.
That would be such a boring conference. The new SEC pods will suck but I'll take them over that diet SWC.
redjalapeno-87
So the SEC blue-bloods - BAMA, Aubie, Georgia, Florida, work behind the scenes with Big 12 blue-bloods - Texas and Okie and have complete confidence they will get the "kids" to fall in line. They will take care of us. Where have I heard that before?
rbcs_2
AG
Taken with a grain of salt but I can buy the idea that this was all started by OU. They hate the Big 12 and tried to go to the SEC with us previously.
TMoney2007
AG
Per team payout was already going to go to $60 million in 2024. The TV rights for football and basketball currently pay $205 million from CBS and ESPN to $450 million from ESPN/ABC...
A Net Full of Jello
AG
UT 93 said:

Your sources are either full of crap or grossly misinformed.
Ag in Tiger Country
AG
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

Thanks for posting. I wish your school and athletic department nothing but the worst.

Amen; the OP comes across as genuine and polite, so I'm a little hesitant to be offensive towards him, but **** t.u.!!! They seem to be a good person based upon just one post, but their alma mater is pure *****

Keeping that in mind, what happens to OU if it's learned that t.u. was playing numerous sides against each other so as to situate themselves as the most profitable "independent" &/or to secure an even bigger windfall by offering the Big10 or Pac10 a footprint in the state (who are undoubtedly suffering a similar knee-jerk reaction to this news as A&M, albeit for different reasons). From the looks of it, I can totally see t.u. going about this in a 'Survivor' or 'Big Brother' scortched earth manner, with little regard towards honoring a verbal agreement with OU once the dust settles; after all, t.u. has shown a willingness to forego a storied history of competing against a hated rival (A&M), so who's to say they won't do the same with OU if the self-serving opportunity presents itself? OU better have a contingency plan just in case.
dave94
AG
Bill Superman said:

Screw that.

Wow. Might be the current lamest idea thrown out this week.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Not that crap again. DeLoss Dodd's wet dream of being attached at the hip with Notre Dame.

Swarbrick played DeLoss like a fiddle when he needed to and then dropped him like a dead fish stinkin' up the joint when he got the deal he wanted with the ACC.

There's no room in the ACC for OU to come along as that would put them at 17 teams. It is already a scheduling problem with 15 teams and the accommodations for ND.

The LHN debacle has proven that the longhorn brand means very little in monetary value.
Bill Superman
AG
Pepe SiIvia said:

Bill Superman said:

Screw that.

That would be such a boring conference. The new SEC pods will suck but I'll take them over that diet SWC.

Gimme the diet over the dickens
Bonfire1996
AG
What market has had the highest earnings, in Texas, for our games, consistently?

Austin

100% fact

What you've heard is Texas talking points.
jsc8116
AG
If Mizzou and Arky were left in dark along with Ags, would those 3 vote no since they were backstabbed?

Just need 1 more school to vote no (USCe/UK) or abstain(looking at you Vandy) to block it? Wishful thinking.....
Jarrin' Jay
AG
UT 93 said:

Appreciate your input and civil discourse. It's all being driven by $$ so your second note above I believe.

The first is simply not true, however. There is only ONE game in the Big 12 every year that matters, the pop-gun classic aka Red River Shootout. ALL the other games don't matter and very few people watch those games. If you are not a Tech or Cowboy fan you don't tune in to watch Texas Tech play OK. State. Conversely when you look at the SEC and the inventory of games with LSU/Bama/Auburn/FL/UGA/aTm and the dozens and dozens of high level games those teams play in conference, millions of CFB fans across the country tune in to watch those games that have no affiliation with the teams. You don't think CFB fans in DFW tune in to watch Auburn - Georgia and instead watch Texas Tech vs. Iowa State? Texas fans are going to watch whether they play Kansas State or Florida, OU fans are going to watch whether they play Kansas or Georgia. The SEC dominates Texas TV markets already. Readily admit it will grow even more with TX an OU in the SEC, no question, and that drives $$, and that is what is driving this decision.
Tex117
AG
UT 93 said:

You posted alot of words, but this is all that matters.

Its not about TV and markets. Thats now where college football is headed. This is an old way of thinking.

The future of college football is now in an arms race to get as most eyes on players as possible no matter where they are in the country. This means streaming. This means NIL.

Moreover, with the addition of Texas and OU, the SEC becomes the defacto axis of college athletics...strong enough even to break with the NCAA if they wanted.

This was probably inevitable.....its sucks for the Aggies in the short term, but long term...it will equal out.

What the SEC doesn't understand is that it will lose the whole "Saturday Down South" vibe. Again, maybe that was inevitable with the NIL thing going on.

Also, the SEC underestimtes not only Texas's ability to exert power and influence (even when they lose on the field), but A&Ms potential to side with Texas on things. If Texas and Texas A&M agree to work together on a few things....it will accelerate the stripping of the power of the Old Guard SEC.

Texas A&M I think should actually bury the hatcht quickly with Texas....and position itself as a swing vote between both the Old Guard and Texas...We can actually leverage the power of Texas and the Old Guard to our advantage if we play it right.

Today's winner for the General Board Burrito Lottery is:

Tex117
8T2
Bonfire1996 said:

What you've heard is Texas talking points.
He clearly stated that you can take what he said with a grain of salt. That means that, since it is coming from Texas insiders, some of it may be seen through burnt orange glasses.
West Point Aggie
AG
This place will soon be lousy with sips again; get out the Clorox wipes!
Let’s Go Brandon!
Thirsty Third
AG
"bury the hatcht"? Way easier said than done. Money doesn't hold grudges but people do.
Highway 6 runs both ways...
cdowl38
AG
UT 93 said:

Can't wait to add the DFW market. Hopefully they will get SEC Network up there after all this.

DallasAg 94

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.