Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Did any SEC schools oppose us joining?

6,067 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by crowman2010
BTHOB-98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I can't recall.
aTm2004
AG
I don't recall any and it mainly could have been due to now they have conference games in Texas, which they didn't have before. If anyone was reluctant, it may have been LSU and Arkansas who rely heavily on Texas recruits.
jopatura
AG
Vandy abstained.
3xranger
AG
Vandy abstained. That was it for opposition.
hunter2012
AG
For solidarity purposes, Slive wanted unanimous support before letting us in. Vandy abstained and the rest supported it.
rgag12
AG
I know there is a sizable contingent that think Sankey and the other school presidents will do anything to get more money, but I wouldn't discount the fact that the SEC has been so strong because all the schools are united.

If they bring in tu, a school known for double-crossing it's fellow conference members at every turn, to the objection of several schools then that starts to dow the seeds of a messy divorce. Not unlike the one the BDF has gone through for 10+ years now. Maybe Sankey doesn't want that.
BTHOB-98
Vandy abstains from playing football too.

Amiright??? Huh? Huh? Lol
halfastros81
AG
I wonder why Vandy abstained?
dixichkn
AG
Probably opposed, but "gently requested" by Slive to not rock the boat
rootube
AG
halfastros81 said:

Because Slive told them the kids table was outside the conference room.
AgBQ-00
AG
My understanding is Vandy did this when Arky and USCe joined as well.
halfastros81
AG
So if you can get a "no" from Arky , Mizzou, and us and an abstention from Vandy this does not go thru. As long as there is not a lot of incremental money at stake I think it could go down in flames. I am unconvinced this will increase SEC member payouts.
Aggies2009
AG
Originally I think it was Florida that killed it because they were afraid of the tortious interference lawsuits from Baylor.

Two weeks later, we handled getting out of the Big 12 and then everyone but Vandy voted us in.
Tex117
AG
Only comes down to one question really.

Does the $$$$ that Texas/OU bring to the table outweigh the potential threat to the traditional power structure of the SEC's old guard.

That's the only question that matters.

Today's winner for the General Board Burrito Lottery is:

Tex117
AggieBlu
AG
halfastros81 said:

They wanted to be the only smart school in the conference! LOL
I will never understand how someone can tell so many lies and not feel bad about it...
Shoefly!
AG
rgag12 said:

I know there is a sizable contingent that think Sankey and the other school presidents will do anything to get more money, but I wouldn't discount the fact that the SEC has been so strong because all the schools are united.

If they bring in tu, a school known for double-crossing it's fellow conference members at every turn, to the objection of several schools then that starts to dow the seeds of a messy divorce. Not unlike the one the BDF has gone through for 10+ years now. Maybe Sankey doesn't want that.

I think Junction's Nephew had gotten his Uncle's notes on Slive and Gene Stalling's considering bringing A&M into the fold. Stallings had very good things to say about our program and traditions. He also chimed in about the toxic, turd infested, backstabbing, racist, cesspool sips program is.
I'm surprised we haven't seen Junction's Nephew in any of these threads, hopefully he shows up.
aggiehawg
AG
Aggies2009 said:

Originally I think it was Florida that killed it because they were afraid of the tortious interference lawsuits from Baylor.

Two weeks later, we handled getting out of the Big 12 and then everyone but Vandy voted us in.
No. Florida was the one who suggested to Bow-Tie we move to the SEC. President of Florida at that time and Loftin always sat next to each other at AAU meetings because they were assigned alphabetically..
GSPag`
AggieHawg is correct again.

As usual.

The Florida Pres was the first SEC rep to suggest we join. Bow-Tie said as much.
halfastros81
AG
Does the OU/tu combination really bring enough $ incrementally to justify 2 more conference members tho? No doubt it increases value but is it $90mm per yr in value because that's what it takes to maintain the payout to each member as I understand it. That's the number that is the key imo.
aggiehawg
AG
halfastros81 said:

Does the OU/tu combination really bring enough $ incrementally to justify 2 more conference members tho? No doubt it increases value but is it $90mm per yr in value because that's what it takes to maintain the payout to each member as I understand it. That's the number that is the key imo.
Agree. The numbers are not adding up to me. More like fairy dust.

Can someone explain it?
Hehateme1
halfastros81 said:

Because you touch yourself at night

Standard zoo answer. (sorry)
Kozmozag
Alabama does not like what is happening in. College station. They know ou and sips will pull all 3 of our recruiting down.
halfastros81
AG
Nonsense. They beat us by 4 td's in our best yr in a long time. They don't give A & M football a second thought as a threat to their dominance
agent-maroon
AG
Saban is not immortal. Perhaps they're playing the long game.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
nawlinsag
AG
Vandy has to abstain or it opens them up to open records acts that they otherwise don't comply with as a private university.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgBQ-00
AG
aggiehawg said:

halfastros81 said:

Can someone explain it?
They're bringing the sacks of Bebee bucks to sweeten the deal
GarryowenAg
AG
nawlinsag said:

Vandy has to abstain or it opens them up to open records acts that they otherwise don't comply with as a private university.

If true, it makes sense.
aggiehawg
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

aggiehawg said:

halfastros81 said:

Can someone explain it?
They're bringing the sacks of Bebee bucks to sweeten the deal
The only deal sweetener that I would remotely consider would be if ESPN gives a sizeable equity stake in the SEC Network to the conference.
halfastros81
AG
So Vandy cannot vote yes? That's just as good as a no if I read the bylaws correctly. It takes a minimum 75% approval.
Gaius Julius Bevo
halfastros81 said:

So Vandy cannot vote yes? That's just as good as a no if I read the bylaws correctly. It takes a minimum 75% approval.
Only if they count as part of the voting pool. Seems odd that to put them in the 16 denominator since an abstention would really be a negative vote then.

Just speculating. No idea how any of that actually works.
Showstopper
AG
Expert Witness said:

nawlinsag said:

If true, it makes sense.
Except it doesn't. Maybe you stick to medicine, what do you say, sawbones?
halfastros81
AG
Good point. Either way they'd
Need ten yes votes.
texag84
AG
Don't they need 11 yes votes to put them over 75% approval?
akm91
AG
So is ABC/ESPN going to rewrite the 10 year $3B contract they've signed which kicks off in 2024?
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
AWP 97
AG
Gaius Julius Bevo said:

halfastros81 said:

Only if they count as part of the voting pool. Seems odd that to put them in the 16 denominator since an abstention would really be a negative vote then.

Just speculating. No idea how any of that actually works.

What is the 16 denominator? There is no way that tu and ou are casting a SEC vote on whether they get admitted into the conference. It takes 10 votes. If Vandy abstains, that's basically a no vote. I would have to believe that A&M and Mizzou say he'll no. I'd like to think Arky would as well. I'm nervous that I'm wrong but I don't see how this passes.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.