Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Did any SEC schools oppose us joining?

6,065 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by crowman2010
AWP 97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
halfastros81 said:

So if you can get a "no" from Arky , Mizzou, and us and an abstention from Vandy this does not go thru. As long as there is not a lot of incremental money at stake I think it could go down in flames. I am unconvinced this will increase SEC member payouts.

What if another school abstains with Vandy? That would counter A&M, Mizzou, and Arky and give the 75% needed to pass.
Gaius Julius Bevo
AWP 97 said:

Gaius Julius Bevo said:

halfastros81 said:

So Vandy cannot vote yes? That's just as good as a no if I read the bylaws correctly. It takes a minimum 75% approval.
Only if they count as part of the voting pool. Seems odd that to put them in the 16 denominator since an abstention would really be a negative vote then.

Just speculating. No idea how any of that actually works.

What is the 16 denominator? There is no way that tu and ou are casting a SEC vote on whether they get admitted into the conference. It takes 10 votes. If Vandy abstains, that's basically a no vote. I would have to believe that A&M and Mizzou say he'll no. I'd like to think Arky would as well. I'm nervous that I'm wrong but I don't see how this passes.

Mistake on my part. I meant 14.
dixichkn
AG
Quote:

If Vandy abstains, that's basically a no vote. I would have to believe that A&M and Mizzou say he'll no. I'd like to think Arky would as well. I'm nervous that I'm wrong but I don't see how this passes.
It's going to pass, unfortunately. I'm afraid Sankey has been going behind our backs for awhile, brokering this deal and browbeating the dissenters into submission. None of A&M's input was requested bc they knew exactly what the reaction would be. Our erstwhile "partners"really aren't so much
halfastros81
AG
The theory being discussed is that if Vandy abstains then they are possibly not included in the denominator in the 75% approval calculation. If the denominator is 13 rather than 14 then ten "yes" votes are needed to meet/exceed the 75% requirement. It's Not clear if an "abstain" vote would be included in the denominator or not. If it would be then they'd need 11 "yes" votes.

halfastros81
AG
All depends on if the abstain votes are part of the denominator in the 75% calculation or not. To me the requirement should be that 75% or more of the conference members must vote "yes" for expansion to be approved. So that would
Mean you need 11 "yes" votes to pass irrespective of
How many abstentions you get.
Cromagnum
AG
halfastros81 said:

Does the OU/tu combination really bring enough $ incrementally to justify 2 more conference members tho? No doubt it increases value but is it $90mm per yr in value because that's what it takes to maintain the payout to each member as I understand it. That's the number that is the key imo.

Well the sips squad sure isn't making the big bucks at bowl games lately. That's for damn sure.
ghollow
AG
BTHOB-98 said:

Vandy abstains from playing football too.

Amiright??? Huh? Huh? Lol
Vandy always abstains on these votes. They want the next new members of the SEC to be someone they can beat in football
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
crowman2010
AG
ghollow said:

BTHOB-98 said:

Vandy abstains from playing football too.

Amiright??? Huh? Huh? Lol
Vandy always abstains on these votes. They want the next new members of the SEC to be someone they can beat in football
So then...they'll vote "Yes" to letting tu in?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.