Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Why are we playing Prairie View A&M an FCS team this season!?

9,739 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Goodson
Bison
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gabe7609 said:

In the sport of boxing you will never see a heavyweight vs a lightweight for these reasons:

1. It's not safe
2. Few people would watch because the heavy weight is going to win
3. Its not entertaining for those that do watch

College Football should have the same standard!

Go up to middleweight, though. Ask Michigan about that.
safety guy
AG
I'm not a big fan of these games but I accept them for what they are. Provides funding for prairie view, allows us to have players lower on the depth chart get pt, and the ticket value of these games is lower which allows families with kids to come to the game. Someone had the idea of having these games in the spring which I would like better.
DifferenceMaker Ag
BJC said:

DifferenceMaker Ag said:

It's just another in a long line of examples of how Texas A&M carries forward the traditions of Lawrence Sullivan Ross in his tireless fight to create and support HBCUs in Texas, regardless of those who would denigrate those efforts.
Governor Ross' efforts were made possible all because of the groundbreaking efforts of Senator Matthew Gaines many years before...
Absolutely. The two go hand in hand for breaking barriers and making it possible to form not only HBCUs, but also public education in general for African Americans in Texas. There's room enough for statues of both on opposing sides of the quad.
Iowaggie
AG
SEC teams do not need this additional home game every year to make ends meet. That argument is laughable.

Cupcake games like this are for padding the win totals and make fans feel better about their team. When the playoff committee's first criteria has been counting losses, it unfortunately makes sense, and it honestly makes more sense to schedule these bad G5 and lower division teams than it does to schedule good G5 or another decent P5 team.

Scheduling cupcakes has been a college football way to do things for a long time. Even well before the old B12 days, coaches there filled their schedule with them. I'm not sure Mike Leach has intentionally ever scheduled a tough opponent OOC. Bill Snyder rarely scheduled a difficult opponent, instead constantly choosing cupcakes.

And no one loved their cupcakes more than Mangino.

12thMan9
AG
Tripacer said:

We will have more flexibility when the Arky game goes back to home and home.
What? This series has absolutely nothing to do with who our OOC games are against.
Ronnie '88
Class of 65
AG
Why are some on here crying about supporting a system school?
TxAg76
AG
Why ask why?
Try Bud Dry.
schmellba99
AG
You know, a couple of years ago we played 3 teams tanked #1 all in the same season. Last I checked, we did,t get any bonus votes because of that.

And if last year's snubbing us and putting ND, who played a garbage schedule, in the playoffs didnt show you that SOs is a vastly overrated metric, nothing will.

Not once in history has playing a super double tough schedule benefitted the team that plays it, outside of internet message board bragging rights.

EVERY major team plays cupcakes. EVERY.SINGLE.ONE.
schmellba99
AG
Your boxing analogy is just stupid. HTH.
AgLaw02
AG
Iraq2xVeteran said:

I understand that we play two Group of 5 teams and one FCS team every year to help these small schools fund their athletic departments.
People keep saying this but it's false. A&M athletics isn't a charity program for poor programs. We schedule FCS schools to get an extra home game to find our own program.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Because you touch yourself?
agz win
AG
Simple. Because it flares up DeLoss's hemorrhoids knowing we won't schedule his dildohorns instead.
monarch
S
And in the near future we are playing Tarleton also and they're in the system. Don't we open up with SHSU next year and play ACU too? Don't forget UMass in the future.

Blow it off
Peace for Ukraine!
Agsncws
AG
The solution is quite simple for people who oppose these types of games: Dont go. Dont watch. If the money dries up, the schedule will change IMMEDIATELY.
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
OP has been around since 2013 and has posted only 33 times. A third of the time he was looking for tickets to A&M-Tennessee games.

Do I smell sock?
SinKiller
fightintxaggie10 said:

Bama plays Mercer this year.Mercer. Oh and NM St who could become FCS any year now the way that program has been.
Obligatory, we're not Alabama...
BrandoC
AG
According to people on here we play **** teams now to get us better for conference play. Play no competition will get us ready to go for the SEC right, right?
TopoTacos
AG
AgLaw02 said:

Iraq2xVeteran said:

I understand that we play two Group of 5 teams and one FCS team every year to help these small schools fund their athletic departments.
People keep saying this but it's false. A&M athletics isn't a charity program for poor programs. We schedule FCS schools to get an extra home game to find our own program.

True, both sides of cupcake games have their own reasons for scheduling these. However, these programs derive a significant portion of their program funding from these, which in turn keeps the lights on, which in turn provides more scholarships for HS players, which in turn promotes HS ball and so on

It's as imperfect as anything else in this sport, but it's close to a win-win in the macro sense.
swc93
AG
TxAg76 said:

Why ask why?
Try Bud Dry.
How did an add agency ever got Budweiser to sign off on that give up of a campaign?
Iowaggie
AG
TopoTacos said:

AgLaw02 said:

Iraq2xVeteran said:

True, both sides of cupcake games have their own reasons for scheduling these. However, these programs derive a significant portion of their program funding from these, which in turn keeps the lights on, which in turn provides more scholarships for HS players, which in turn promotes HS ball and so on

It's as imperfect as anything else in this sport, but it's close to a win-win in the macro sense.

That's quite a stretch for logic, but if that were really true motivation, then A&M should truly be choosing their cupcakes that reside in the state of Texas (which I think they should anyways).

Why send money to Ohio, Alabama, Mass, Louisiana, or New Mexico when there are 20 other D1 schools that play football in Texas?

I hate that P5 fb powers schedule cupcakes, but I understand it is a way to pad the win totals, but I really think A&M/Texas and other Texas P5 schools should play schools within the state of Texas to keep the money within the state (as much as realistically possible and I'm not suggesting a state law). If these cupcakes are getting $1-$1.5 million a game, and A&M, Texas, Baylor, Tech each schedule a couple out of state cupcakes along it's a lot of money leaving the state.

So no, I don't think the schedule makers have some greater good for local colleges that trickle down to HS football in the state.

Cupcakes pad the win total.
TXAggie2011
AG
When their band comes on the field, you'll realize why this should still be considered an entertaining matchup.
greg.w.h
AG
Should do an Ask Ross question on it since he has been clear one of the issues with scheduling home and home is protecting eight home games. It gets easier once the Arkansas game returns home, for sure.

But that by itself explains some of the scheduling. Just like we used to play at Baton Rouge for all games (against LSU)

The payouts on the FCS and non-P5 games is for our convenience. Calling them contract games might be more helpful than cupcake though I understand why the EVEN MORE pejorative term is used.

I ignored the boxing analogy because it just isn't helpful. For teams like Sam Houston and Prairie View playing a potential top 25 team at their stadium is a can't lose proposition for the players. Scouts see them. Videos can be made. They could win. And it helps support their scholarships. The risk of career-ending injury isn't significantly higher than other games.
rbcs_2
AG
I will allow some gray area for these types of games. I think yes A&M does schedule them for easy wins and because they are easier to get on the schedule. There is a lot more effort that goes into scheduling a series of games with a big time program. But I also believe that oftentimes there is thought put in to which programs we engage with as to how it will benefit them.
Tripacer
12thMan9 said:

Tripacer said:

We will have more flexibility when the Arky game goes back to home and home.
What? This series has absolutely nothing to do with who our OOC games are against.
Whether you agree with it or not, the AD budgets based on a seven home game schedule. Every other year our home game with Arky is played in Arlington but we still play seven home games that year. If you do the math, that means we have to schedule three money/cupcake games every year plus our one home and home P5. Also, the P5 home game needs to be the same year we are the home team against Arky. So yes it does affect our OOC games given the department's criteria.

So, to change this either the dept changes the seven game requirement, or we make Arky a home and home game which opens up a second home and home OOC game.
Saint Pablo
There is 0 incentive to play a better team that week.
McInnis80
swc93 said:

TxAg76 said:

Why ask why?
Try Bud Dry.
How did an add agency ever got Budweiser to sign off on that give up of a campaign?
I am guessing that it was the same folks who gave us Red Dog beer.
BJC
AG
DifferenceMaker Ag said:

BJC said:

DifferenceMaker Ag said:

It's just another in a long line of examples of how Texas A&M carries forward the traditions of Lawrence Sullivan Ross in his tireless fight to create and support HBCUs in Texas, regardless of those who would denigrate those efforts.
Governor Ross' efforts were made possible all because of the groundbreaking efforts of Senator Matthew Gaines many years before...
Absolutely. The two go hand in hand for breaking barriers and making it possible to form not only HBCUs, but also public education in general for African Americans in Texas. There's room enough for statues of both on opposing sides of the quad.
Honestly, as an African-American Aggie, I am indifferent to statues...

That being said, it there was to be a statue of Senator Gaines, it should be erected in front of or inside the Moore/Connally Building (Texas A&M University System Headquarters) due to his efforts which ultimately lead to the eventual creation of the Texas A&M University System as a result of BOTH Texas A&M and Prairie View A&M being established to provide public education for ALL Texans.
Texas A&M Aggie Class of '96
BJC
AG
safety guy said:

I'm not a big fan of these games but I accept them for what they are. Provides funding for prairie view, allows us to have players lower on the depth chart get pt, and the ticket value of these games is lower which allows families with kids to come to the game. Someone had the idea of having these games in the spring which I would like better.
Not only that, you also have the TAMUS version of the Battle of the Bands:

• Fightin' Texas Aggie Band vs Marching Storm (note: this always ends in a tie)

The money stays within TAMUS; that being said here is PVAMU's Panther Stadium at Blackshear Field (Fall 2016-present):

rbcs_2
AG
I am interested in knowing the reason you keep pointing out the PVAM stadium.
BJC
AG
rbcs_2 said:

I am interested in knowing the reason you keep pointing out the PVAM stadium.
Before Fall 2015, this was Blackshear Field:

bberry72
AG
Sit back and enjoy one of the best, non military, bands to come to Kyle.
DuncanLEO
Pretty sure we play 1 or more FCS teams every year. Its good for them, hasn't hindered us in any manner, and pads the win total for optics.
agz win
AG
Thats a nice stadium they have.
greg.w.h
AG
If we win. Sherman tanked his first game against Arkansas State that was then FCS.
rbcs_2
AG
That's certainly a nice upgrade, but I guess I don't understand how it relates to this discussion.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.