Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

No Way Dodds would have kept this a secret this long....

12,933 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Quad Dog
mjhhawk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://247sports.com/Article/texas-am-refused-offer-to-be-part-of-longhorn-network-former-texas-ad-deloss-dodds-big-12-sec-football--166109899/

Has anyone heard this before even as a rumor? I can't believe it's not something that would have come out before if it was true as a way for Dodds and the Sips to look like the good guys
rbcs_2
AG
Yes it was widely known.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Sorry, not news. Your likely to take it on the chin. My condolences.
akm91
AG
I doubt the proposal would've have put A&M on equal footing with the horns.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
Glad we were not interested. Made by far the best choice possible for the Ags.

SEC where the big boys play football
rootube
AG
First I've ever heard of this. Also the first I have ever heard of Dodds acknowledging that A&M to the SEC was a good move for us even though it's completely obvious to everyone else.
DOG XO 84
AG
mjhhawk said:

https://247sports.com/Article/texas-am-refused-offer-to-be-part-of-longhorn-network-former-texas-ad-deloss-dodds-big-12-sec-football--166109899/

Has anyone heard this before even as a rumor? I can't believe it's not something that would have come out before if it was true as a way for Dodds and the Sips to look like the good guys

if I recall, it wasn't a 50/50 offer, sips would have had majority control. Good thing we didn't go for that small potatoes network. Instead we bring in boatloads of cash from SEC network and don't have to deal with those dbags.
hunter2012
AG
mjhhawk said:

They wanted to split the expenses with us 50/50 but only give us 1/3 of the revenue. Everyone acts like we cry about missing out but really we just turned down an asinine deal. They would have just used us to fill the space between burnt orange events.
wbt5845
AG
It was 67%/33% split. Bowtie said shove it.

highlonesomeaggie
AG
Didn't the Germans already bomb the moon?
Wabs
AG
Bottom line - never, ever, ever, ever, ever come remotely close to believing a single word that comes from a sip's mouth, especially Delies Dodds.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
At the time, they were also talking about playing recruits HS games on it, but would only play games for players the sips were recruiting.
Iowaggie
AG
About 10 years ago, the story was the same. Horns saying Byrne turned down a split, Byrne refuted it then, and anything from the Longhorns point of view on their network is probably questionable.

People can read more about it by googling Byrne Longhorn Network.

Here's what Byrne said then: "Once we did [the study], we said we'd be interested but they said it was too late," he said. "There's a rumor that I turned down $300 million. If anybody knows me, I wouldn't turn down $300 million."
Aggies2009
AG
akm91 said:

I doubt the proposal would've have put A&M on equal footing with the horns.

It didn't.

Dodds tried to frame it as "We were going in together on it!" But our AD and President came out and said it wasn't going to be close to a 50/50 split.

And given how the Big XIIs structure was (and the history of tu setting the deck for themselves for decades), I'm not surprised one bit that they tried to get us to go into an uneven deal like that.

I'm just glad that our President at the time actually had the balls to tell them to pound sand.
Ag In Ok
AG
It's as if had we bought tickets to ride the titanic to NYC the whorn captain wouldn't have run it into an iceberg.
Jimbo4win
AG
Ag In Ok said:

It's as if had we bought tickets to ride the titanic to NYC the whorn captain wouldn't have run it into an iceberg.

Genius!
Agsuffering@bulaw
It was in the 100 year decision. They would have controlled it. They would have received a 2:1 split. Loftin made the right call. Some of the chumps now probably would have taken it.

Those who did not live through it will probably never understand the pressure Loftin and his staff were under. Those of us who did, probably only barely understand.

This is just more sip spin. They overplayed their hand and Bowtie took advantage of it.
MaroonStain
AG
Sliver
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
Poor tea sips - they're struggling and grasping as very very old and tired "straws"
Make Mental Asylums Great Again!
Sims
AG
Iowaggie said:

About 10 years ago, the story was the same. Horns saying Byrne turned down a split, Byrne refuted it then, and anything from the Longhorns point of view on their network is probably questionable.

People can read more about it by googling Byrne Longhorn Network.

Here's what Byrne said then: "Once we did [the study], we said we'd be interested but they said it was too late," he said. "There's a rumor that I turned down $300 million. If anybody knows me, I wouldn't turn down $300 million."

Uh, did you even see the Ray Perryman report?

It was $300M to Texas A&M.

Baylor/City of Waco would have received $6.7 trillion if Byrne would have said yes.
ccatag
AG
The longhorn network is a ball and chain around the sippies neck. They would have been much better off if they hadn't locked themselves into this agreement. It has limited their options. I am enjoying this immensely.
cj774
AG
Every offseason it's the same old thing. Sports "professional journalists" pick through the same set of recycled old tsip spin "news" and throw it out there to see what generates clicks.
Divining Rod
It was an offer of 2/3 t.u. to 1/3 A&M .

Perhaps NOTHING defines more clearly what a teasip is than someone who would make such an offer, then months and years later recount how A&M turned down a "partnership".

So wonderful to see how their arrogant lying asses have now imploded, and Texas A&M has become the flagship sports program in the state.

Thanks DeLoss, for making this happen for us!
yeshellyes
AG
Where have we seen 1/3 for us and 2/3 for them before?
cj774
AG
yeshellyes said:

Where have we seen 1/3 for us and 2/3 for them before?

Hmmm...Good question.... I wonder where
AG
Ery day I'm sliverin'
ABATTBQ11
AG
highlonesomeaggie said:

Didn't the Germans already bomb the moon?

They've even made movies about it.
TXAGBQ76
AG
it did come out when it was going down. The offer was TAMU pay half of the start up cost and then get only 30% of the revenue generated- because tu said they were hosting it.

Bill Byrne told this story many times- and it was in Bowtie's book "The Hundred Year Decision". This was never hidden and was known for some time.
Loyalty
AG
They're all liars and delusional. Let em live in the fake little world they've created. I'm glad deLoser has lived long enough to see that his plan failed miserably.

We're the premier program in Texas and have been for 10 years.
My Name Is Judge
God

Bowtie was such a badass

MSCAg
AG
Does ESPN even make money on it?
_______________________________________________________ O Fortuna, velut Luna, statu variabilis, semper crescis, aut decrescis;
monarch
S
To bad he left us when he did...
Peace for Ukraine!
BTHOB-98
Bowtie should have a statue on campus!
geb83
AG
It was a last ditch effort by dumbass Dodds, when he finally realized that the Ags would indeed leave his conference and that the SEC would welcome them with open arms; his too little too late attempt to mend fences and keep Texas A&M in the Big XII.

He knew the Ags to the SEC would be bad for tu going forward, but his inherent tu arrogance would not allow him to admit that to himself.

Seriously it was one of the biggest boondoggles in Athletic Directors' history. It was for the sips, malfeasance on the part of their AD.
TMartin
LOL. tu and the word share are incompatible.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.