Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

No Way Dodds would have kept this a secret this long....

12,932 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Quad Dog
rootube
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think people grossly over estimate how much power and influence a university president has.
Z Team
AG
Also Dodds is pivoting away from the Pac12 to protect his legacy that he came real close to moving big tu into that conference that is tanking faster than the Big 12. He is saying he always preferred the ACC.
This is all pr campaign because they are irrelevant but almost jumped off in even greater irrelevance with the Pac12.
rootube
AG
Z Team said:

Also Dodds is pivoting away from the Pac12 to protect his legacy that he came real close to moving big tu into that conference that is tanking faster than the Big 12. He is saying he always preferred the ACC.
This is all pr campaign because they are irrelevant but almost jumped off in even greater irrelevance with the Pac12.

That depends on how close the PAC was to cherry-picking the old B12. If they would have pulled that off, it would have been a game changer. The one thing Larry Scott gets credit for is swinging for the fences when it became obvious the old B12 was not sustainable. He just underestimated the hubris of horn.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Dodds probably did prefer the ACC. The economic potential was better and it would have become a truly national conference had A&M, ou, and the sips been added.

Problem for Dodds is that the ACC majority did not want more football first programs. The idea was dead on arrival.
Agsuffering@bulaw
And the PAC plan would have been huge. It would have solved their time zone problems and given them far more product.

Dodds just failed to account for us telling him no. He failed to think through all the ways we could twist it in him. Whoever said hubris hit the nail on the head.

The PAC then got blindsided by ESPN buying back the sips through the LHN. Nobody saw that coming.
maver1ck
AG
My favorite part is that they try to act like we missed out on something big.

Whatever BS deal the horns tried to lure us into there probably wouldn't have scratched the surface of the
68 MILLION dollars the SEC paid us out for this past year.

Yeah, we'll be ok. Thanks anyway Dodds.
annie88
AG
Dodds has always been a jerk.

I wouldn't trust half of what comes out of that guy. And look where all his scheming and BS got him.

Poooooooooor tu
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
SoTxAg
AG
At this point who cares what that old windbag says, let the sips stew in bdf mediocrity.
stexagg
If I remember correctly, the Lone Star Network as it was going to be called was proposed to Byrne about 2007. Byrne turned it down thinking it would not be a money maker. This was well before the Longhorn Network was proposed to Texas. A&M never had any partnership offer of the LHN but over the past 10 years sip spin has been that the Aggies turned down the annual windfall from the LHN. It never happened that way, but it's part of the sip spin to make them appear smarter. They are big on image.
AggieBlu
AG
Yes, the 'offer' was refused. Everyone knows this. Convenient, that Dodds, and the article, forget to mention that the proposed payout to both schools was weighted very heavily toward Austin in that 'offer.' It wasn't equitable, and was never going to be. (Telling that there was no comment from anyone at A&M in the article..)
I will never understand how someone can tell so many lies and not feel bad about it...
Divining Rod
For all the back slappin' and glad-handing of our SEC entrance, remember it was only 1 year before that our Regents made what I and a thousand others knew was maybe the stupidest, most foolish decision in the history of Texas A&M- we turned down the SEC and decided to remain in the patchwork Big 12.

it still pisses me off today that those men in such a position could have such lack of vision and understanding.

Can someone find that thread of frothing anger when that crazy decision made?
Houstonag
AG
Sips cannot be trusted. It is rare for the two schools to agree on anything.
Artimus Gordon
AG
Even on our worst day, we are so much better off without them. Deloss' greed & arrogance was a game changer for A&M's decision-making. And yes we should have been in the SEC the year before!
GSPag`
We should have gone to the SEC back in 1992. When we had our first chance
Z Team
AG
Just glad we finally got here when we did!

The gap is about to really grow between the haves and have nots with the NIL as we are one of the largest alumni bases and have the most AD revenue in the nation, one of the most profitable programs, and largest stadium in the SEC. Combine that with the SEC television publicity and we are just getting in a better position and our staff seems to be gearing up quickly to take full advantage.
Triple-T
AG
Bowtie is doing an election recount and will be re-installed as President soon.
dcAg
Thank God we dodged that bullit.
Anchorhold
i just wish they had gone West so they would have to watch "horns after dark"
AgDotCom
stexagg said:

If I remember correctly, the Lone Star Network as it was going to be called was proposed to Byrne about 2007. Byrne turned it down thinking it would not be a money maker. This was well before the Longhorn Network was proposed to Texas. A&M never had any partnership offer of the LHN but over the past 10 years sip spin has been that the Aggies turned down the annual windfall from the LHN. It never happened that way, but it's part of the sip spin to make them appear smarter. They are big on image.
This. This right here.

There was no ESPN offer in 2007. There was, however, Dodds trying to cobble together some kind of TV deal that Byrne determined had too much risk.

Someone show me ANY official documentation that ESPN made any kind of 20 year, $300MM offer after 2007 that included A&M in the deal.
SA-AG72
AG
Move on. You're wasting time on the sips when you could be wasting it on Johnny and his golf game.
AggieVictor10
AG
Not gonna lie, I didn't even know that old fecker was still alive.
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
Ain't it cool how it's all moot now? No degree of sippy revision or spin can alter the fact that we profit more than they do, are not in their s***** conference and can extend our collective middle digit in their direction on a continual basis!!
Make Mental Asylums Great Again!
PlanetAggie
AG
rootube said:

I think people grossly over estimate how much power and influence a university president has.
You must be too young to understand how much power an influence a strong, educated personality can have in a room full of power looking for a voice.
Chesapeake Ag
Divining Rod said:

For all the back slappin' and glad-handing of our SEC entrance, remember it was only 1 year before that our Regents made what I and a thousand others knew was maybe the stupidest, most foolish decision in the history of Texas A&M- we turned down the SEC and decided to remain in the patchwork Big 12.

it still pisses me off today that those men in such a position could have such lack of vision and understanding.

Can someone find that thread of frothing anger when that crazy decision made?
The way I remember it was a combination of Aggie Stockholm Syndrome (a LOT of Ags couldn't envision not playing the Thanksgiving game), opposition by Byrne and Sherman (who thought an unequal share of a lot of money was worth playing second fiddle in perpetuity), and the same Texas politics that got Baylor into the Big 12.

Thankfully there were those with influence and vision (notably Stallings) who just had to wait a year for Dodds' arrogance to hand us the excuse we needed to take the SEC offer.
Agsrback12
Funny thing is nobody cares. Literally. The whorls are irrelevant.

Texas A&M is in the SEC and the game was changed. Have fun in the bdf.
Phoenix1
Lunar Blitzkrieg
longeryak
wbt5845 said:

It was 67%/33% split. Bowtie said shove it.

Thought it was 50/25/25 with the last 25 high school sports which was how it was known to raise a stink about HS football games on that network.
Quad Dog
AG
Going to the Big 12 in 1992 is a whole other story. We had to go to get the money to build Reed Arena.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.