Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

CBS projects 4 Aggies in the 1st round next year

6,588 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Agsuffering@bulaw
Max Power
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2022-nfl-mock-draft-lions-washington-raiders-target-passers-in-a-wide-open-quarterback-class/
itsyourboypookie
That's good
Pumpkinhead
AG
Spiller at #14? Extremely unlikely. RBs are typically less prioritized in 1st round. Naji Harris and Travis Etienne were the only two RBs selected in 2021 1st round and at #24 and #25.

LEAL, Wedermeyer, and Green absolutely could go 1st round. Spiller, I don't see it. He'd have to be phenomenal this year, like a Heisman Candidate level year, to get into 1st round conversation as a RB.
Goose
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

He'd have to be phenomenal this year, like a Heisman Candidate level year, to get into 1st round conversation as a RB.

I'd be ok with that.
Agsuffering@bulaw
He's taller and not as dense as the NFL likes. They will only draft a RB like that early if he has freakish athleticism. Spiller is not a freak by nfl standards.

He would have to get faster without losing size, and/or denser without losing speed.

That said, I think he can be a productive NFL back bc he is complete and goes hard between the tackles.
Charlie Murphy
Impressive how Jimbo can recruit/develop talent at every position.
HossAg
AG
That's a pretty bad list, although I can still see those 4 going first round. Spiller would be one of the last picks of the first round if he went.

I think the order of our players drafted will be:

1. Leal
2. Green
3. Wydermeyer
4. Spiller
5. Smith

Smith could sneak up into the first round, though. I think it's more likely that he manages his way into the first round than Spiller.
TheWoodsAg
AG
I would bet every cent I own that Demarvin Leal is taken before 31
Ugly
AG
TheWoodsAg said:

I'm sure there is a place you can do that.
Ulrich
I don't see Spiller or Smith going before the third. Great football players, but lacking NFL measurables.
rbcs_2
AG
I would say Spiller ticks most of the boxes that the NFL is looking for in a 1st rounder at RB. The most obvious thing he lacks is great top end speed, but based on recent history I don't think that would prevent him from pushing into the back of the 1st, perhaps.
rsf0626
Kenyon Green and Demarvin Leal are probably the only people who i would consider high chances of being drafted 1st round. Maybe Wydermyer, nut he isnt Kyle Pitts....Rbs have been devalued and there are way too many wrs in the draft for someone lacking nfl size to be drafted high
rsf0626
Agsuffering@bulaw
Leal may have more overall talent than Kenyon, but consider the positions. To the NFL

1. QB
2. Elite WR
3a. Edge Rusher
3b. LT

4. The rest

Pitts was the best TE prospect in 10 years, but 2 QBs were taken before him.

Leal can probably be a very versatile in a 4 man front and strong enough to play in a 3. He probably adds more value to a 4 man system. But, his pass rushing ability is not elite at this point. The league wants pass rushers or dominant NTs.

Kenyon on the other hand has the potential to be the LT who anchors the protection.

Ainias is an outside shot to become a positionless mismatch machine. Exactly what the best OCs want.

I don't get it, but the league seems to undervalue. TEs. Most of the good offenses have a very good TE.

Anyway, all of that needs to get factored in.
Unemployed
AG
Charlie Murphy said:

Except for wide receiver.
LB12Diamond
AG
My guess it will be 2. Green and Leal.
TopoTacos
AG
Leal and Green could play themselves into "lock" territory with solid seasons. Wydermeyer has an outside shot and we've seen TEs go in the late first before even if they aren't a Kyle Pitts level freak.

Smith is probably 2-early 3 based on his versatility and willingness to block, Spiller would need to show tremendous ability as a pass catcher to crack the 1st round, but should still be a 2-3 round selection.

Richardson and Chapman also can play themselves into mid-round selections with a strong campaign
ironmanag
AG
Ulrich said:

I don't see Spiller or Smith going before the third. Great football players, but lacking NFL measurables.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
akm91
AG
Ulrich said:

What round did Kadarius Toney get drafted in? Anais has very similar measurables and productivity.

Toney - 5'11 194 lbs
2020 stats (SR):
Receiving: 70 rec, 984 yds, 10 TD
Rushing: 19 rush, 161 yds, 1 TD
Total: 89 touches, 1145 yds, 11 TD

Smith - 5'10 190 lbs
2020 stats (SO):
Receiving: 43 rec, 564 yds, 6 TD
Rushing: 49 rush, 293 yds, 4 TD
Total: 92 touches, 957 yds, 10 TD
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Agsuffering@bulaw
Ainias keeps getting better. He would have to make another big leap, but I wouldn't put it past him.

I think a lot of people's understanding of the pro game is stuck in the past. 10 years ago, most OCs would not know what to do with ainias. Today, plenty will find a way to get him the ball.
Ulrich
If you add up all the players that each fan base thinks will go in the first round, the first round would have to have a hundred picks. Every year many great players go in the second, third, and fourth rounds or even later.

Maybe Smith and Spiller will get first round selections, I hope they do. But they are going to have to overcome physical attributes that aren't quite what GMs want to see, for Spiller a position that is less valued in the first round, and brand new OL/QB potentially impacting productivity.
TheWoodsAg
AG
Ugly said:

TheWoodsAg said:

I'm sure there is a place you can do that.
Find me the book taking bets with Leal at 31 based on some boob who works for CBS Sports Online.....I would guess there are none
Charlie Murphy
RealTalk said:

Charlie Murphy said:

Fair point
TheWoodsAg
AG
Charlie Murphy said:

RealTalk said:

Charlie Murphy said:

Fair point
WRONG
ToddyHill
AG
That guy is not very smart if he thinks the New York Giants will be picking 6th overall in the first round.
jaxisback
Not sure where Anias will be drafted, but I am confident he'll be an NFL starter in the slot.

That means, if he doesn't go in the 1st two rounds he'll be a steal for the team that gets him.

His physical attributes are every bit NFL caliber. He is in the miniscule percentage of humans in terms of balance and core strength-to-weight ratio. He's also extremely strong in the lower body.

He'll be a player in the NFL.
jaxisback
One other attribute that I left off.

He's absolutely fearless and that can't be understated as a tool in his NFL toolkit.
Never_seen_em_quit
AG
Not saying he's smart or anything but I honestly can't figure out if you're insinuating that you predict NYG will take a substantial step forward this year, or if you're a Cowboys fan who thinks they will stink and have a top pick. Nevertheless, over the past 4 drafts the Giants have been slotted with the #2, #6, #4, and #11 overall picks. When projecting draft positions while still a year out predicting a team to be around their 4 year trailing average (which is 5.75) would only be dumb if that team just traded for Tom Brady or something. There are way more dumb things about this (like Leal at 31) than having the Giants picking 6.
rbcs_2
AG
mattexas said:

Not saying he's smart or anything but I honestly can't figure out if you're insinuating that you predict NYG will take a substantial step forward this year, or if you're a Cowboys fan who thinks they will stink and have a top pick. Nevertheless, over the past 4 drafts the Giants have been slotted with the #2, #6, #4, and #11 overall picks. When projecting draft positions while still a year out predicting a team to be around their 4 year trailing average (which is 5.75) would only be dumb if that team just traded for Tom Brady or something. There are way more dumb things about this (like Leal at 31) than having the Giants picking 6.
I believe the Giants also have the Bears #1 next year as well.
TxAG#2011
Did this guy really project a receiver to the Cowboys?
whatthehey78
AG
Charlie Murphy said:

EOT. We have a winner!
Never_seen_em_quit
AG
Ya he has that pick at #12. (bears -> giants)
DSAG
rsf0626 said:

Kenyon Green and Demarvin Leal are probably the only people who i would consider high chances of being drafted 1st round. Maybe Wydermyer, nut he isnt Kyle Pitts....Rbs have been devalued and there are way too many wrs in the draft for someone lacking nfl size to be drafted high
I would agree with this and would have some doubts about Green as I'm not sure if he projects as a tackle at the next level .
Very few guards are ever taken in the first round.
waltonloads11
AG
NFL loves WRs:

If Smith, Waddle, or Chapman can go round 1 if they have one of those amazing years.
ToddyHill
AG
I'm a Giants fan.

While I hear your argument, I maintain that Joe Judge did a better job in his first year as head coach then his predecessor, which is why the Giants had the 11th overall pick in the most recent draft. I don't see the Giants being the 6th worst team in the league this upcoming year.
12thMan9
AG
2 different way too early mocks have Leal as a Top 11 pick. The 11th is the Giants. The other has him as the 4th to the Jets.

So, looks like he's bound for the hellhole of the East.
Ronnie '88
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.