Story Poster
Photo by Texas A&M University Engineering

Regents name M. Katherine Banks sole finalist for Texas A&M President

March 3, 2021

M. Katherine Banks was named by the Texas A&M University System Regents on Wednesday as the sole finalist to become the Texas A&M University’s next president.

“This is a tremendous honor,” Banks said. “The core values of Texas A&M, its rich traditions, unique culture and commitment to the greater good is the very foundation of this great university and resonates deeply with me.”

Banks currently serves as Texas A&M Vice Chancellor of Engineering and National Laboratories as well as Dean of Engineering. She supervises coordination and collaboration among engineering, academic and research programs through the Texas A&M system and three state agencies.

WATCH: Kathy Banks speaks about the Aggie Spirit at the 2017 A&M Legacy Society Dinner

“The core values of Texas A&M, its rich traditions, unique culture and commitment to the greater good is the very foundation of this great university and resonates deeply with me.”
- M. Katherine Banks

“The Board was excited to know the search yielded tremendous interest and many qualified candidates,” said Elaine Mendoza, Chairman of the Board of Regents. “The Board is confident that Dr. Banks will lead the university to even greater heights while celebrating the traditions and spirit that make Texas A&M unique.”

She leads A&M’s engineering school, which is among the largest in the nation with more than 20,000 students.

“Where is there a dean in the U.S. who has accomplished what Dean Banks has accomplished?” asked Chancellor John Sharp. “If she can do for the university what she did for engineering, imagine what the university can achieve!”

Banks replaces John Junkins, who has filled the position of president in an interim role since January 1 following the retirement of Michael K. Young.

Her promotion to president is another step in a decorated career in education and research.

An Elected Fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers, Banks was elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 2014. She serves as a board member and principal executive engaged with Triad National Security for the management and operation of Los Alamos National Laboratory.

Between the engineering agencies, Banks has oversight of $310 million in sponsored research. She has research backgrounds in microbial systems, biofilm processes, wastewater treatment and reuse and phytoremediation bioremediation.

Clay Taylor, TexAgs
Michael K. Young served as the university’s 25th president from May 2015 to December 2020.

She also helped start Texas A&M’s EnMed program, which aims to educate physicians who will create new technology in health care.

Banks was named to the Board of Directors of Halliburton in 2019.

Banks received a Bachelor of Science in Engineering from the University of Florida in 1982. She then earned a Master of Science in Engineering from the University of North Carolina in 1989. She earned a Doctorate of Philosophy in civil and environmental engineering from Duke University in 1989.

She was an associate professor at Kansas State University from 1989 to 1997. She then joined the faculty of Purdue University, where she served as a professor in the civil engineering department from 1997-2012, when she left for Texas A&M.

Discussion from...

Regents name M. Katherine Banks sole finalist for Texas A&M President

24,747 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Saxsoon
3rd and 2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bar is pretty low after that jack hole Young. Wish her the best.
Rutedown
Maroon Stormtrooper said:

How about not giving her a backhanded comment?
3rd and 2
AG
Rutedown said:

Maroon Stormtrooper said:

How about not giving her a backhanded comment?

You mad Young is gone?
atm0812
AG
He's just saying you can congratulate her on her achievements and accomplishments alone.

It's fine that you didn't like Young, but that doesn't have to affect your comments towards Banks.
texag86
AG
Like that she comes from A&M engineering. Will be interesting to see what direction she envisions for the university
West Point Aggie
AG
Best of luck DR Banks...
Let’s Go Brandon!
3rd and 2
AG
Will she allow fake racism hoaxes?
Cojack
Hopefully she's not a Lib
RogerEnright
Good luck!
Stone44
AG
My first impression is meh. I was hoping for an impact hire. I might be wrong, but she looks like a 2 star recruit.
dcbowers
AG
At least a 4 star recruit.

Dr. Banks has a demonstrated record of impressive accomplishments and leadership. She has been at Texas A&M since 2012, so one would expect that she "gets A&M". I suspect that this is not her first offer to be a university president. Glad that she accepted our offer.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
sharpdressedman
My first reaction is highly positive.

Her achievements are stellar, and her extensive experience at Texas A&M should provide a solid understanding of the distinguished history of the university, leadership failures in the recent past, and unlimited potential in the future.

I presently view her selection as a big win for Texas A&M, and my prayers and best wishes are with her.
Houstonag
AG
I know Dr. Banks. She is capable of doing a good job. I just hope the swamp does not influence her or undermine her.
ccatag
AG
Congratulations Dr. Banks

Quote:

Banks received a Bachelor of Science in Engineering from the University of Florida in 1982 (Ag School). She then earned a Master of Science in Engineering from the University of North Carolina in 1989. She earned a Doctorate of Philosophy in civil and environmental engineering from Duke University in 1989.

She was an associate professor at Kansas State University (Ag School) from 1989 to 1997. She then joined the faculty of Purdue University (Ag School), where she served as a professor in the civil engineering department from 1997-2012, when she left for Texas A&M (Ag School).

SA-AG72
AG
Cojack said:

Hope this lets you sleep at night:
Kathy and her husband Paul, a soil and crop sciences professor in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, have six children and four grandchildren, with a son, daughter-in-law, and son-in-law who graduated from Texas A&M.
SA-AG72
AG
Divining Rod
Six kids! That's about 95% what I need to know to give her a AAA+ rating!

Gig ' Em!
infinity ag
If she is the "sole finalist" doesn't it mean that she won?
TxAg76
AG
infinity ag said:

If she is the "sole finalist" doesn't it mean that she won?

It means they liked her shoes.
Old Town Ag
AG
According to the picture she is #2
northeastag
AG
Congratulations Dr Banks. Like about 99.9% of the posters on these boards,I don't know jack about hiring a University President. So I don't know if she is a good or a bad choice.

But I do hope that her vision goes beyond ramping up the student population to incredible numbers.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Well, it is my understanding that she is behind the 25,000 by 2025 movement for the engineering school.
So don't hold your breath.
infinity ag
Well, seems like a nice friendly lady.

Her resume looks good, she seems capable.

Good luck to her and I hope she takes the school to a much higher level and not be a diploma mill anymore.
West Point Aggie
AG
University presidencies are replete with dangers and political land mines...her background is certainly impressive...so I hope she takes names and kicks butt for Aggieland.
Let’s Go Brandon!
Houstonag
AG
I hope she can challenge things that do not make sense. There is nothing wrong with what TAMU has been doing although improvements can also be made. For darn sure there is not rampant racism at TAMU therefor it does not need to be addressed. Statues do not need to moved and streets do not not to be renamed.
Cojack
Cool
DukeMu
Cojack said:

Sharp's choice. Cuts both ways. Gator alum in Environmental Engineering. PhD from Duke in the same area. Been able to gather significant resources for Engineering, but established 25 x 25 which waters down Aggie degrees.

The hope is she brings A&M the bacon from the legislature and external grant funding.
Houstonag
AG
I think that we keep in contact with her with e mails and letters providing meaningful important suggestions. More the better. She needs to hear from the former students and especially those that have written checks.
BBQ4Me
AG
Hopefully she's someone who believes in facts and education
Traveler
AG
Stone44 said:

My first impression is meh. I was hoping for an impact hire. I might be wrong, but she looks like a 2 star recruit.
Idiotic post.

If you want to use a football analogy, she's been running a perennial Top 15 program (https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering-doctorate) for several years now.

Two of our head coaches have accomplished that here (so far): one coaches WBB, one coaches T&F.

Herknav
AG
//Salt of the earth. Will see Aggieland through the next ten years of greatness.//just my thoughts//hs
//Herknav sends//
AgSnacks16
AG
In my experience, having worked with A&M Engineering for a few years of my career, Banks is concerned with cosmetics. She has focused more on being able to sell new programs and ideas rather than considering if they work or are effective. She's an expert saleswoman but I have often felt that the execution of her ideas are ill conceived and not well thought out. Sound good on paper though...
W
AG
isn't it amazing how quickly things change in sports and life.

suddenly the new A&M president's biggest year one decision...is related to football. Will she support the additions of OU & t.u....or oppose them.

and akin to Loftin...this might be what she is ultimately remembered for the most: how she handled realignment
NewOldAg
AG
That is a fair point. Hard to say what could be more defining the reversing the 100 year decision.
Showstopper
AG
There are exceptions so I don't know about her specifically, but I think a lot of female engineering Ph.Ds are not that obsessed with football. Unfortunately. Good chance she will be like, "Texas wants to join our athletic conference? So we'll save a bunch of money on travel and gas? OK whatever, don't really care, see you later athletic department guys."
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.