Story Poster
Photo by Lia Musgrave, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Video Replay: Student Bonfire 2020

November 25, 2020

On Tuesday night, thousands of Aggies gathered just outside of town to Burn The Hell Outta the 2020 Student Bonfire. Watch as the 2020 Stack goes up in flames. Due to COVID-19 precautions, there was no bonfire speaker this year.

Discussion from...

Video Replay: Student Bonfire 2020

9,168 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Jamie_Parkinson
rffon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else having issues getting the replay to work?
United States Submarine Service...run silent, run deep.
OilManAg91
AG
Nothing but an Xfinity add.
sharpdressedman
In real-time, it was a beautiful burn. Heartiest congratulations to the students and all the support staff who made it happen!

It really irritates me that the event is no longer titled "Aggie" Bonfire.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, and BTHO lsu.
oldfart79
wont ever be aggie bonfire till its back on campus guys, right now its just hangers on . need a big push from agg alums to get it back and i mean donors with big money.
oldfart79
c0rn_d0g
AG
It's Aggie Bonfire if you call it "Aggie Bonfire."

Happy Thanksgiving comrades.
ooshwa
Staff
AG
Video should be working for everyone now.
FtnTXAg03
AG
oldfart79 said:

wont ever be aggie bonfire till its back on campus guys, right now its just hangers on . need a big push from agg alums to get it back and i mean donors with big money.
It is back. And there's not a thing that is preventing anyone from providing the sort of support that would make it possible for the students who do the work - ALL of the work, by hand - of building it to host tens of thousands with ample parking and without costing anyone in attendance a dime. Bonfire is getting there, I believe.

The students have proven that they can handle the rest, and furthermore that they should be allowed to. Fully. Without compromise or outside intervention. They have proven themselves over and again to be the most competent stewards of this Tradition. It was they after all who created it in 1907 and restored it starting in 2002.

The fact is, nearly 30 years ago when Bonfire was forced to move from Duncan, the only on-campus spot the University had to offer was the Polo Fields. A sloppy, sloped drainpan for a massive campus. Another spot was the riverside campus. And another was in Carlos, TX.

Those around at the time said that Carlos was the best ground for Bonfire, but it was much farther away than Bonfire is now, and the prevailing idea at the time was that Bonfire had to be on campus (many involved at the time have since changed their minds, emphatically). Riverside was closer, but by now, Bonfire would have long been moved from there with all the development completed and planned that way.

There is no room on campus for Bonfire. And there is no room in academe for the full experience of building Bonfire that is what makes Bonfire what it is.

The plain fact of the matter is that the only "hangers-on" are those ever-dwindling few who refuse to accept - for whatever incomprehensible reason - that Bonfire is in the hearts of those that build it, and those that support them. Wherever they may be.

Build the Hell Outta Bonfire 2021. See you when it burns!

[If you are interested in helping Bonfire, visit studentbonfire.com/support/, or shoot me a message anytime.]
dion-c.me
oldfart79
sorry your wrong there is plenty of land available its just earmarked for other use. i do know from the guys i run with that its up to the board to deside to relocate it back on campus.
oldfart79
FtnTXAg03
AG
oldfart79 said:

sorry your wrong there is plenty of land available its just earmarked for other use. i do know from the guys i run with that its up to the board to deside to relocate it back on campus.
You're telling me that even though the only campus space at all available 30 years ago was the Polo Fields, there's land available now? If that's your angle, there's obviously nothing I can do to recalibrate it.

I will tell you this though. Unless "the guys you run with" are on the board (of regents, I assume) you speak of, I'm fairly confident I know more about their feelings and intentions on the subject than you. "There's just no place on campus for Bonfire. And any Bonfire built on campus would be no kind of Bonfire at all." I'll just let you guess why I put that in quotes. Maybe the guys you run with might know where I got that.

The fact is, it's a silly thing for an Ag to do anymore. To run down what the students aren't able to provide while withholding the little bit extra they need to get there, and worse, to seek to encourage others to withhold their support, or advocate doing anything different than supporting the students with all the heart that students have shown us.
dion-c.me
Howdy101
It IS Aggie Bonfire. They call it Student Bonfire because it's (Aggie) Students building Bonfire. For those that believe in it, they understand the meaning. It's Aggies building Bonfire...Aggie Bonfire.

The Student Bonfire organization (and student workers) have proven that they don't need to actually call it Aggie Bonfire. True Aggies know what it is. Not saying you're not Aggie if you dont think of it that way, but in my opinion, it doesn't NEED the title, Aggies just know.
Jamie_Parkinson
They say that you can endlessly watch the flowing water, the burning fire, and the spinning windmill on the sail. This event reflects the unity of the student community through participation in a traditional ritual. The burning of the '2020 Stack' may carry symbolic meaning as a transition to a new stage, liberation from the negative experiences of the past, and hope for a better future. This act reinvigorates the spirit and enthusiasm among students, helping them focus on new beginnings and opportunities.Therefore, the burning fire symbolizes continuous movement and transformation, representing the endless cycle of life, change, and development. It reminds us of the constant motion in the world that never ceases, and the importance of embracing and cherishing this infinite beauty and harmony.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.