Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Ivy League Cancels Football

6,073 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by kbarj
AGCAK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here. We. Go.
Hey Nav
AG
https://www.si.com/college/alabama/bamacentral/ivy-league-cancels-fall-sports-seasons-blackwell

All fall sports. The linked article says that only Penn and Cornell are allowing the entire student body to return for the fall semester.

Not surprised by the decision. I hate 2020 on so many levels.
Alpha Texan
AG
If protestors were able to gather in masses without spreading COVID like doctors and experts say, then surely neither will having fans at football games, let alone having football with limited fans.
Alpha Texan
AG
Can't wait for 2020 2.0 huh?
Mostly Sunny Disposition
AG
No one gives a **** about Ivy League sports
SECTAMU#1
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/reports-ivy-league-won-t-play-football-or-any-fall-sports-in-2020/ar-BB16v3RW?ocid=spartan-dhp-feeds

Can't wait until January!
AggieLumberjack
AG
They won't be the only ones. This will just start the domino effect.
rsf0626
Just the beginning. Ivy league teams dropping out leaves a void in some teams schedules also, so another issue that has to be fixed
rsf0626
jrgypsum
This may be the time / opportunity for US Universities to look at refocusing on their core mission - to educate their customers.

Why not just get rid of all organized sports and be done with it.

Set up a structure outside the University to develop pro talent.

Club sports can still continue and support themselves, but let's get real about the role of an University.
"He's like a rabbit back there — a rabbit on steroids," Miller said of Michael. "And he's got speed like a cheetah. He's like a hybrid mutant running back."
lunchbox
AggieLumberjack said:

They won't be the only ones. This will just start the domino effect.
They were also the first ones to cancel their basketball tourneys and some thought they were over-reacting at the time. 3-4 days later, everything was shut down.

I predict the same will happen here.
Mostly Sunny Disposition
AG
jrgypsum said:

This may be the time / opportunity for US Universities to look at refocusing on their core mission - to educate their customers.

Club sports can still continue and support themselves, but let's get real about the role of an University.

Donations. That's why it won't happen. Many of us still support Athletics but refuse to give to Academics for one reason or another (cough Leadership).

With that said, getting people on campus for Sports gives fundraisers an opportunity to jockey for donations on the Academic side. I know. I've been courted by the Association at tailgates and in games (not just Football).
AvidAggie
AG
I just don't see how college football happens this year
West Point Aggie
AG
Alpha Texan said:

If protestors were able to gather in masses without spreading COVID like doctors and experts say, then surely neither will having fans at football games, let alone having football with limited fans.

Of course they spread Covid after gathering in masses...anyone with a barely functioning brain knows this!
West Point Aggie
AG
Hey Nav said:

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/bamacentral/ivy-league-cancels-fall-sports-seasons-blackwell

All fall sports. The linked article says that only Penn and Cornell are allowing the entire student body to return for the fall semester.

Not surprised by the decision. I hate 2020 on so many levels.

Just wait until November!!!
texag101
Easy choice for the Ivys since they lose money on football. SEC....not so easy.
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

Can't wait for 2020 2.0 huh?
God help us.
halfastros81
AG
The only surprise to me is that anyone even noticed.
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

Just wait until November!!!
You know, I'd find a football season from November to February very refreshing. The Damnyankees can just freeze their baguettes off.

I played football in HS in the RGV. In August I would go to practice early in the morning, go to work doing construction or hauling hay, etc, and then have evening practice - back in the days of "no fluids" in practice - just salt tablets. Surprised I didn't die of heat stroke. I've never been the same since.

I can handle putting on a coat
ontheway
AG
This is a bad sign for 2020 fab. They are all flush with money and can field fb teams at less expense than the rest. So the covid turned the tide. It seems the rest college fb has issues to digest so much bigger than Ivy's. 2020 ain't gonna happen for us either.
ontheway
lunchbox
Didn't realize this but just heard John Harris (Brown alum) say on the radio that the Ivy League is the only football conference that doesn't play for a championship. So, by them playing in the spring, it doesn't affect their ability to win a Natty.

However, if they play basketball in the spring they would have to have their schedule finished before a potential NCAA tourney...that's tight!
F4GIB71
They played football in the Ivy League?
F4GIB71
Archie86
The student athletes are the real losers.
Ugly
AG
jrgypsum said:

That's like saying, "Why not get back to what the girl scouts are all about and get away from these cookie sales." You're not going to like what happens to your academic funding if you start taking away all athletics.
wbt5845
AG
Don't the Ivy League schools only play each other in their regular season? Then their champ goes to the FCS playoffs?

EDIT: their champ didnt even go to FCS playoffs last year.ivy league is not an automatic qualifier.
wangus12
AG
Oh no! Whatever will we do without the annual College Gameday going to the Yale-Harvard snoozefest
MouthBQ98
AG
Shows how gutless our patrician class has become. The kids are virtually immune, and by fall, most of the nation who are likely to be infected will have been.
kbarj
AG
The Ivy League presidents chose years ago to not let their champion go to the FCS playoffs. I believe the comment was to play the season and then get ready for finals. Slightly different focus from the power 5 schools. And as was stated earlier, sports are not money makers for the schools, so this is a no-brainer for them.

Edit to add: Also given the number of the Ivies that are moving to online classes for this year, I expect a lot of students to take a "gap" year. The schools encourage that anyway. This seems like a good time for it. Public universities without the ridiculous endowments have a much different situation to deal with.
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
Something something tree falls in the woods something something.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
jrgypsum said:

As long as we're getting rid of sports lets cancel all other extra-curricular activities as well. The Corps is unnecessary. FLO's are unnecessary. So are Frats and Sororities. Aggie Ranglers, don't need them. Should probably remove all the ping-pong tables in the Commons while we're at it. Why are we even wasting money watering the grass on campus? That's not academic...

Because academics are just a minor portion of a University. If you think people paying $80k+ just for an education and not an experience, then you're out of your mind.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
texag101 said:

Easy choice for the Ivys since they lose money on football. SEC....not so easy.
Exactly. Ivy League Football is not a comparison to the industry that FBS Football is. It's as much of the US economy as any other business. It's not nearly the same decision to keep the lights off this fall.
Archie86
There is always the transfer portal.
BJC
AG
wbt5845 said:

Don't the Ivy League schools only play each other in their regular season? Then their champ goes to the FCS playoffs?

EDIT: their champ didnt even go to FCS playoffs last year.ivy league is not an automatic qualifier.
Unlike other Division I-FCS teams who play an 11-game schedule, football teams in the Ivy League only play a 10-game schedule and their conference champion has an automatic bid to the Division I-FCS playoffs, but they do not go due to the Ivy League itself abstaining from football post-season competition since the 1950s.
BJC
Texas A&M Aggie Class of '96
TAMU74
AG
Totally irrelevant football league.
They could cancel football forever and nobody would give a $**t.
Slamn Sharpe
F4GIB71 said:

They played football in the Ivy League?

Beat me to it
infinity ag
AGCAK said:

Here. We. Go.

THANK YOU CHINA.

And thank you, US past Presidents for building up China so much that they control the world. Well done f*****s.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.