Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Ivy League Cancels Football

6,040 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by kbarj
Hawk2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ivy League schools were among the first to cancel the in-person Spring 2020 semester during Spring Break way back when. I thought it was a bit premature, but it was what it was.

Pretty soon, most of the country followed suit.

You all poo-poo Ivy League football, and I sort of get it, but don't have Pikachu shocked faces when SEC follows suit. Do you think we're seeing true leadership from Young and Jimbo on this matter? (I can only hope so and that it's behind closed doors where actual decision makers are and not here in the TexAgs locker room where we all make decisions and calls that have zero merit.... unless there are high dollar boosters among us). Unfortunately, I have a feeling TexAgs will take out their anger and frustration on other TexAgs users for merely stating the obvious when all of us probably have zero influence on Young/Jimbo/SEC in this matter.
Txag12345
MouthBQ98 said:

Shows how gutless our patrician class has become. The kids are virtually immune, and by fall, most of the nation who are likely to be infected will have been.

This is false
87_Was_Long_Ago
AG
Also remember it's more than just football. They cancelled all fall sports, and tbd how it impacts winter/spring sports.

Ivy football isn't a big deal obviously, but several of their hockey programs are top flight D1. Cornell, Yale, Harvard are top 10-15 programs along with HockeyEast school like BC, BU, NE and B1G schools. Ripple effects

Ozamataz Buckshank 01
AG
Ivy League sports gets very little to no TV money. Sports is a financial liability.
"You can't grade the success of a CEO by how likeable he is."
MouthBQ98
AG
Meh I was being hyperbolically sarcastic. I know they catch it, but teenagers are extremely likely to not have any serious illness or symptoms from the infection. Their social activities also make them to the most likely to catch it and spread it to peers. I'm not sure you do the 18-21 year old age group more harm than good by forcing them into relative social isolation and removing physical activity and outlets of emotional well being and focus from their lives.

Sure, you can argue it protects coaches and other people involved in facilitating the sports competitions. I'm pretty sure the cat is way out of the bag trying to stop this thing spreading to a large fraction of the population.
MagnumLoad
What Mouth said.
Escobars army
MouthBQ98 said:

Shows how gutless our patrician class has become. The kids are virtually immune, and by fall, most of the nation who are likely to be infected will have been.

Let's say that 10x as many people have tested positive as the current data shows; that's still only 34M cases. So for most (meaning over 50%) of America to have it we'd need another 130M cases in the next two months.

Lord I hope you don't use even basic math in your job.
MouthBQ98
AG
How homogenous do you think the US population is? You really think you can use simplistic math for the entire US population in aggregate and it is valid? Is that a 95% calculation?

I think we should start doing realistic calculations on urban, suburban, and rural Regional and local estimated infection rates required to obtain herd immunity based on local R value estimates. There's no reason to think we see the first ever successful coronavirus vaccine in this decade. Much more likely we get something akin to a 25-50% effective flu vaccine that has to be reformulated seasonally.

We're not stopping this thing. Our only choice is how much we let it make us suffer. I think it is quite likely this virus joins the ranks of other seasonal coronaviruses that eventually becomes less virulent as it mutates, and we will be stuck with it seasonally for years to come. That is the most likely outcome. Everything else is a hopeful self delusion barring some Near miraculous innovation in vaccine technology. It's possible, just not probable. Hope for miracles, plan for the probable.

Look at China. They implement lockdowns at a level inconceivable to Americans and it still keeps breaking out there.

To put this back on topic, I do think there is a wisdom in not having giant stadiums full of people together yet because we can manipulate the rate of infection spread to be manageable, but that's nothing like the same as not playing at all, except I suppose the box office take and concessions profits aren't there to subsidize the cost.
McInnis80
Let's step back from the Ivy League bashing for a few minutes. I know that the Ivy League does not participate in the FCS playoffs by choice. I believe that SWAC and MEAC also do not participate. The Ivy League does participate in other Division 1 Championships. No one is confusing the Ivy League for SEC, but it's not to say the other sports are a joke. As an ugly reminder, look up Harvard 62, A&M 51 in Basketball.

Believe it or not, the school with the most national championships in NCAA football is Yale. The started this monster of college sports. In the early 1950's, Penn and Notre Dame wanted to televise all of their football games nationally on the DuMont network. After lots of threats, the schools backed down to the NCAA cartel bosses.

The Ivy League is a D1 league, but does not offer athletic scholarships. They do provide attractive financial aid packages based on family income, but some of the players are there on their own (or family's) dime. If you were writing a check to the school for your kid to get chance for an Ivy League education, would be want them to risk that to play football?

Can't say I would look forward to playing a February football game in Hanover, NH, but it may be better than the current mess. Is the Ivy League decision going to affect the Power 5 Conferences? They are writing these plans in pencil for the 2020 season.
Hawk2007
Quote:

Is the Ivy League decision going to affect the Power 5 Conferences? They are writing these plans in pencil for the 2020 season.

Even in the last five months --- Ivy League schools, and specifically, Harvard, IIRC, were the first to cancel in-person spring semester classes due to the spread of COVID. Texas schools maybe have just been on day 1 or 2 of spring break when this went down.

Let's see.... press release went out Tuesday morning on March 10, 2020.... meaning it had already been decided and probably informally known by media Monday evening... I doubt the decision was made lightly or last-minute....

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/486765-harvard-cancels-in-person-classes-for-the-rest-of-the-semester

I would imagine, or hope, that the UT and A&M systems informally knew that this might happen... and had already discussed the possibility of going online for Spring 2020.... but, they were likely buying time to see how things panned out as to not jump the gun.

IMHO, the SEC's decision to continue the 2020 football season, whether 100% as schedule, or conference only, has largely been made barring a few extenuating circumstances. That card is obviously being held tightly, because it has huge ramifications. Also, I'm sure SEC and participating schools lawyers are going through plans on how this will all sort out financially regardless of what decision is made.
JST92
AG
Saban is breathing a lot easier now that Dartmouth cleared his path to a Natty.
ordordordordord
Buford T. Justice
AG
Amen! Big time college sports are simply being pimped by the shoe companies and tv networks, mainly ESPN.
87_Was_Long_Ago
AG
Kerrigan87 said:

Also remember it's more than just football. They cancelled all fall sports, and tbd how it impacts winter/spring sports.

Ivy football isn't a big deal obviously, but several of their hockey programs are top flight D1. Cornell, Yale, Harvard are top 10-15 programs along with HockeyEast school like BC, BU, NE and B1G schools. Ripple effects

Update. AFR because it begins to show the ripple effects of coaches and players considering alternative schools, conferences, and leagues:

NEHJ Ivy hockey fallout: Top talent could depart Harvard, coaches lament uncertain future

"The Ivy League's announcement Wednesday that it was cancelling fall sports and not allowing any sports prior to January due to the coronavirus wasn't much of a surprise.

However, it is certainly disappointing for the six hockey-playing institutions in the Ivy League that compete in ECAC Hockey. Cornell and Harvard were both set to be among the top teams in Division 1 college hockey.

There are several current players and recruits at both schools who could now leave early for professional hockey, or return or stay in junior hockey longer. NTDP U-18 center Matt Beniers almost certainly will not matriculate to Harvard as expected. The Hingham, Mass., native could go to the Chicago Steel in the USHL or go to a Hockey East school that would be more likely to play."

and for reference, college hockey in New England/B1G area is about as popular as college baseball in the South.
Iowaggie
AG
Hey Nav said:

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/bamacentral/ivy-league-cancels-fall-sports-seasons-blackwell

All fall sports. The linked article says that only Penn and Cornell are allowing the entire student body to return for the fall semester.

Not surprised by the decision. I hate 2020 on so many levels.

Interestingly, Cornell feels like it is safer for students to bring them back to campus where they can be regularly tested, instead of just having them predominantly online only.

Not really related to football.

kbarj
AG
Iowaggie said:

Hey Nav said:

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/bamacentral/ivy-league-cancels-fall-sports-seasons-blackwell

All fall sports. The linked article says that only Penn and Cornell are allowing the entire student body to return for the fall semester.

Not surprised by the decision. I hate 2020 on so many levels.

Interestingly, Cornell feels like it is safer for students to bring them back to campus where they can be regularly tested, instead of just having them predominantly online only.

Not really related to football.

Notre Dame apparently feels the same way. Starting two weeks early to quarantine in small groups. Then closing the campus for the school year. Semester will end at Thanksgiving. Long winter break until January, repeat. Interesting approach, since I am guessing going with all online classes would make students feel that they weren't getting their money's worth for going to Notre Dame. This may stop transfers and students taking gap years.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.