Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Reggie McNeal in Jimbo's offense

4,058 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by spherical
spherical
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

How do you think Reggie's career would have been different in this offense? With a serious, intentional running game, under center, etc...? Would he have won? Would he have gotten a real shot in the NFL?
South Platte
He's pushing 40. I'd be hesitant . . .
TexanJeff
AG
If Mond can throw for 3000 and run for 1000 in this system, seems like Reggie would be putting up better numbers than Jamis Winston.

Unfortunately if his Offensive Line is a bunch of Matadors he would spend much of his time running for his life so may not be able to put it together.

That and we assume Jimbo does not decide to randomly scrap the whole thing and run a bunch of Option.
spherical
AG
South Platte said:

hey hey, im pushing 40... he's a little further away
Ol Rock
AG
Reggie was amazing.

He would be a serious heisman candidate and NFL prospect at QB.

We would be National Title contenders and likely preseason top 10.

I wish he didn't get Franned.
NoahAg
Reggie would have been a black JFF under Sumlin. Faster. Stronger arm. Not as good spacial awareness as JFF but all around better athlete.
AustinAg2K
Reggie would have been a Heisman contender in anyone's offense except Fran's.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
Would have been fun to see. I have never seen a more talented quarterback walk through A&M. That guy had it all but a good coach. Damn Fran was bad.
Alpha Texan
AG
TexanJeff said:

Unfortunately if his Offensive Line is a bunch of Matadors he would spend much of his time running for his life so may not be able to put it together.
I laughed
Harry Dunne
Reggie was faster, but not an overall better athlete than JFF. He wasn't as strong or elusive and didn't have the instincts as a scrambler, runner or passer - all of which go into consideration when you are talking about who is a better athlete. Also he had a strong arm, but he had the delicate touch of a jackhammer on short and intermediate throws. Many tend to overrate him because of his arm and his top end speed but forget that he was pretty rough as a decision-maker.

That said, Fran was awful and no doubt Reggie would have been better under almost any other Aggie HC, but I think coaches get both too much credit and criticism when it comes to "making" and "ruining" college QBs and IMO fit, timing and teammates have just as much to do with it.
spherical
AG
his touch and decision making was coming along until Fran went all out with the short side option... that play action pass in the red zone against Virginia Tech in the hurricane game was something else...
Agsuffering@bulaw
I doubt Reggie would have bought into what Jimbo does. He did not watch film, had a mediocre work ethic and did not play through pain. IF Reggie bought in, he would have been a heisman contender.
Ag4coal
Based on what we saw Jameis do, I'd say top 10 draft pick, easy
Slamn Sharpe
Reggie's ankles weren't SEC ready[/zoo
Showstopper
AG
This really, really hurts to say, but if the transfer portal would have been a thing back then, he should have used it. Probably McGee too. That said it is very rare that starting QBs enter the portal (other than us having it happen twice in a week thanks Sumlin), but...

We've had good coaches, we've had bad coaches, but Fran was the coaching equivalent to cancer.
AG
I knew Reggie McNeal, and you, sir, are no Reggie McNeal.
Harry Dunne
4 said:

I knew Reggie McNeal, and you, sir, are no Reggie McNeal.
You know this is a compliment, right?
Ag 11
AG
Heisman
AgGrad99
AG
Woulda been like Vick
94chem
South Platte said:

I'm 48, but I betcha I could throw a ball over them mountains.
W
AG
in 2004...Reggie's best season...

he passed for 2,791 yards & 14 TD's --- only threw 4 picks.

he ran for 718 yards & 8 TD's. He was tremendous that year.

and also the thing that nobody mentions...he led the Ags to 4th quarter come-from-behind wins vs. CU and Tech. He was great in the clutch
Earl_Rudder
AG
I will die on this hill, Fran ruined Reggie. He would have won the Heisman with Jimbo as a head coach.

Everyone remembers his athleticism and his speed, but he also had an arm. What could have been without Fran...
spherical
AG
Earl_Rudder said:

I will die on this hill, Fran ruined Reggie. He would have won the Heisman with Jimbo as a head coach.

Everyone remembers his athleticism and his speed, but he also had an arm. What could have been without Fran...
What a hopeful time Slocum's last year, and Frans first year was...
sportsfreak1975
pv
His running style was similar to Mond but he was a little faster. Great straight away, good speed, but no wiggle or juke at all.
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
Jameis is a more natural/better pocket passer, and JFF was a better natural athlete/improviser. I don't think Reggie would have been better than either. BUT, he's a better version of Mond running, throwing etc. Not as physically tough though.
spherical
AG
H.E. Pennypacker said:

Jameis is a more natural/better pocket passer, and JFF was a better natural athlete/improviser. I don't think Reggie would have been better than either. BUT, he's a better version of Mond running, throwing etc. Not as physically tough though.
i dunno, i think he was more similar to jff in terms of elusiveness than people are giving him credit for - i don't remember him taking too many head on hits.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.