Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Ags heating up for 4* RB LJ Johnson Jr.

19,821 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slamn Sharpe
1876er
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Should have included the number of women each one of the punched.
Slamn Sharpe
halfastros81 said:

Quote:

Spiller is nothing like Dalvin Cook or Mixon

Spiller is almost exactly the same size as Mixon and he's just a sophomore. He will probably end up being heavier than Mixon and perhaps a tad slower. I don't think that's a terrible comparison at this point. We also haven't seen Spiller at full strength for any extended period. He was dinged up a lot as Sterling82 points out.

He's already slower than Mixon
Slamn Sharpe
Ag4coal said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

hunter2012 said:

Ag4coal said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

I hope I'm wrong and yall are right. I think hes a poor man's Trayveon and I was never real big on him either.

Dude, his game is nothing like t will. This is a joe mixon/dalvin cook type. Not full power. Not full explosion. Just a man that can hit the hole and get chunk yardage. May not have the greatest highlight reel of all time, but his stats just may be by the time it's over (for A&M, and if he stays all 4 years)

946 yards for 5.4 ypc behind what was the worst probably OLine we had in the past 20 years against the hardest schedule in the nation, including 3 #1 teams That was with only 9 starts. He is a VERY good RB.
I think you're confusing RBs...

RB1
170 for 1008 (5.9ypc) and 8 TDs
22 rec for 203 and 0 TDs

RB2
174 for 946 (5.4ypc) and 10 TDs
29 ref for 203 and 0 TDs

RB3
113 for 753 (6.7 ypc) and 7 TDs
28 rec for 356 and 4 TDs

I'd say these are comparable rookie years. I'll let you figure out who is who. And then remember one of those guys was on a national championship team, one guy was playing against BDF defenses, and one guy played behind the worst OLine this school has seen in decades against the hardest schedule in the nation. Let's see what the next couple years hold. And hopefully guys like LJ can make the backfield even better!

Spiller
Total rushing yards vs
Clemson 24
Auburn 9
Arkansas 0 (7 attempts)
Ole Miss 78
Miss St 90
USCe 129 (2nd most by Ag backs)
UGA 7
LSU 66

Ag4coal
McDadeTXAggie said:

halfastros81 said:

Quote:

Spiller is almost exactly the same size as Mixon and he's just a sophomore. He will probably end up being heavier than Mixon and perhaps a tad slower. I don't think that's a terrible comparison at this point. We also haven't seen Spiller at full strength for any extended period. He was dinged up a lot as Sterling82 points out.

He's already slower than Mixon

Mixon clocked a 4.5. The google says spiller runs.... 4.48-4.58...
Ag4coal
McDadeTXAggie said:

Ag4coal said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

hunter2012 said:

Ag4coal said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

I hope I'm wrong and yall are right. I think hes a poor man's Trayveon and I was never real big on him either.

Dude, his game is nothing like t will. This is a joe mixon/dalvin cook type. Not full power. Not full explosion. Just a man that can hit the hole and get chunk yardage. May not have the greatest highlight reel of all time, but his stats just may be by the time it's over (for A&M, and if he stays all 4 years)

946 yards for 5.4 ypc behind what was the worst probably OLine we had in the past 20 years against the hardest schedule in the nation, including 3 #1 teams That was with only 9 starts. He is a VERY good RB.

RB1
22 rec for 203 and 0 TDs

RB2
29 ref for 203 and 0 TDs

RB3
28 rec for 356 and 4 TDs

I'd say these are comparable rookie years. I'll let you figure out who is who. And then remember one of those guys was on a national championship team, one guy was playing against BDF defenses, and one guy played behind the worst OLine this school has seen in decades against the hardest schedule in the nation. Let's see what the next couple years hold. And hopefully guys like LJ can make the backfield even better!

Spiller
Total rushing yards vs
Clemson 24
Auburn 9
Arkansas 0 (7 attempts)
Ole Miss 78
Miss St 90
UGA 7
LSU 66

Damn, you really don't like Spiller. I don't care to bring this up in two years but I'm very confident you'll look foolish.
Slamn Sharpe
Ag4coal said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Ag4coal said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

hunter2012 said:

Ag4coal said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

RB1
22 rec for 203 and 0 TDs

RB2
29 ref for 203 and 0 TDs

RB3
28 rec for 356 and 4 TDs

Spiller
Total rushing yards vs
Clemson 24
Auburn 9
Arkansas 0 (7 attempts)
Ole Miss 78
Miss St 90
UGA 7
LSU 66

Damn, you really don't like Spiller. I don't care to bring this up in two years but I'm very confident you'll look foolish.

I wish nothing more to look foolish in 2 years but I'm afraid I won't
Ag4coal
Ag4coal said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

hunter2012 said:

Ag4coal said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

RB1
22 rec for 203 and 0 TDs

RB2
29 ref for 203 and 0 TDs

RB3
28 rec for 356 and 4 TDs

RB1 is cook

RB 2 is Spiller

They both had the same coach. I'm very much looking forward to what the numbers say about Spiller when his career is done here. Especially if our OLine can step up this year
maver1ck
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

Ag4coal said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

hunter2012 said:

Ag4coal said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

RB1
22 rec for 203 and 0 TDs

RB2
29 ref for 203 and 0 TDs

RB3
28 rec for 356 and 4 TDs

Spiller
Total rushing yards vs
Clemson 24
Auburn 9
Arkansas 0 (7 attempts)
Ole Miss 78
Miss St 90
UGA 7
LSU 66

Behind the worst O Line we've had in decades. Let's not try to act like those numbers fall on the true fish RB.
samhoustonag
The O line does not bear all the burden by any means.

Defenses had no respect at all for Mond's passing. They stacked the line to stop the run. No matter how good the RB is, they are going to have tough sledding when that happens.

When we get a QB who can complete passes downfield with even a little consistency, that will get the defenses off the line and open things up for the running game.
Ag4coal
Bottom line, Jimbo can make great RBs just like he can QBs. Come on down LJ
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Quote:

I'm not sure that people understand how good Spiller was last year. No, he doesn't have crazy top end speed. But he was extremely explosive at scrimmage and I'm pretty sure he led all SEC RBs in yards after contact (correct me if I'm wrong).

If he had played the entire season, he hits 1000 yards. As a true fish. Behind one of the worst O Lines in the SEC last year. He's got plenty of big play potential.
Yeah you're right. Through the season I wasn't high on him particularly because he took a few games to come on (as most fish do) and the OL didn't do him many favors. But if you go back and watch some of the second half of season games he's better than you probably remember. Now I don't think he's a D'Andre Swift or Edwards-Helaire, but he was the better back on the field in most of our games last season.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
samhoustonag said:

The O line does not bear all the burden by any means.

Defenses had no respect at all for Mond's passing. They stacked the line to stop the run. No matter how good the RB is, they are going to have tough sledding when that happens.

When we get a QB who can complete passes downfield with even a little consistency, that will get the defenses off the line and open things up for the running game.
Two things: Mond has to get better at the long ball and getting outside of pressure in the pocket to extend the pass. I think defenses have figured out that if they play aggressive they're going to get to Mond as I think he reacts to pressure just a hair late. Some QB's (like Burrow last season) develop a sixth sense to pressure and although don't have Kyler Murray-like elusiveness can react quickly enough to avoid that pressure and extend the play. Mond hasn't shown that. Therefore the pressure comes more often, defenses take away the quick ball and down goes Mond. Combine that with Mond not connecting deep when we do have time (which I don't think all were his fault) and you're gonna have a bad time.
Sterling82
Those stats posted above to demonstrate Spiller's inadequacy would only be relevant to someone who didn't watch the games. For example, we would not run Mond early in the season and our passing game was at best inconsistent. Take that recipe and a below average line against a top defense and no back is going to have good numbers. Spiller will prove himself or not going forward but he has the tools to be very good and that is not debatable. In the meantime ragging on a true freshman coming off a near 1,000 yd season is poor form.
TAM85
We played more than 8 games last year. You didn't even mention the bowl game- what's up?
Slamn Sharpe
TAM85 said:

We played more than 8 games last year. You didn't even mention the bowl game- what's up?

I used ESPN or 12thman.com to get the stats. I couldn't get the stats for the bowl game but wanted to because it was a legit opponent

I didn't include the stats on the cupcakes for obvious reasons. If you wanna dig that up to "prove" something, go for it

What I posted should tell at least half the story. I'll give him some credit from running behind a garbage oline. I still don't think he's a great RB. I think his stats are actually going to decline because there is talent entering the RB position that's better than him

I'll say it one last time. Please make me eat crow Mr. Spiller
Slamn Sharpe
Sterling82 said:

Those stats posted above to demonstrate Spiller's inadequacy would only be relevant to someone who didn't watch the games. For example, we would not run Mond early in the season and our passing game was at best inconsistent. Take that recipe and a below average line against a top defense and no back is going to have good numbers. Spiller will prove himself or not going forward but he has the tools to be very good and that is not debatable. In the meantime ragging on a true freshman coming off a near 1,000 yd season is poor form.

I watched every game. I wasn't impressed. I thought he was very average. I posted the stats because someone else posted stats (before I did) In an attempt to prove ... whatever.

Against real opponent, statistically he wasn't very good. I hate being "that guy" on texags, because I know the athletes read this stuff. But I'm just being honest. I want what's best for the team and I hope he lights it up and ends up in the NFL in 3 years

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.