Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Talent Gap Rapidly Shrinking

9,041 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by psybj
Maroon Flash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bama/LSU/Auburn losing 1st round guys. We aren't losing much and there is very little difference between their recruiting and ours.

Good times ahead once this virus is under control!
AGHouston11
AG
They still have 1st round guys in next years draft too
DRE06
AG
Someone hasn't watched the last 10 drafts. Business as usual for the Powerhouse programs.
TxAG#2011
Sounds like Bama is done
Post removed:
by user
Maroon Flash
AG
So please enlighten me as to what year LSU had overall number 1 and a total of 5 in first round?

You must not know much about football.

Starting when Jimbo's first class is draft eligible, we start having multiple first rounders also.

The talent level of what we are losing << what we are bringing in.

LSU/Bama/Auburn not so much.

_lefraud_
AG
LSU
2007 - 4 first rounders (#1 overall)
2017 - 3 first rounders

Bama has had 7 drafts since 2011 with at least 3 first rounders...

They'll be just fine again next year
ColtAg21
We just need to keep on getting better and things will lead to a West championship. Bama will fall off somewhat. Time has caught up with Saban. He can't work like he did before. Nevertheless their fall off level is still damn good. LSU will get a bump in recruiting from last season. That and many thought O was a joke before, now he's got legitimacy. We'll see how he handles success...maybe not so well.
psybj
Unfortunately bama ain't going nowhere. Their back-ups are 5stars.

Few years ago bama had more 5stars on their roster than did the Big Ten. They will not come back to the pack, you gotta go catch them.

UGA is now recruiting as well as bama. LSU getting up there but loses too much ths year, will only be a hiccup. UF has great coaching and is now getting the recruiting back up there. AU not so much, just hangs on.

w/in 200 mi of him Jimbo can get all the talent he will ever need to win big, and he is now turning it around and making progress.

But don't ever think a team is hurt by too many draft losses, when that happens kids notice and the pipeling continues to load up.
psybj
VatoLocoAggie
I think it says a lot about our program in comparison to other programs where their players can't wait to leave. With the exception of Mad Dog, we didn't have any players declare for the draft and forgo their senior season. That is very admirable to see the devotion and loyalty to Jimbo and program.
Gig Em and God Bless America
Texas A&M National Champions in Football 1917, 1919, 1927, 1939, and 2012

SEC Proud!
Maroon Flash
AG
Not knocking any of the other teams but LSU having 5 first rounders 13 years ago and again this year .ne. to doing it regularly. You reinforced what I said.
West Point Aggie
AG
We always seem juuuuuuust a little bit away...like "that" close...
Tamu_mgm
AG
West Point Aggie said:

We always seem juuuuuuust a little bit away...like "that" close...
Not true at all. There was a LOT of delusion going around during the Sumlin years to falsely push that notion, but the facts actually back up the idea that Jimbo is closing the talent gap.

With how Jimbo has recruited the last 2 classes (reminder, he's been here only 2 years), he has rapidly and significantly upgraded the talent level across the board. We shouldn't be concerned with which program loses what players, but rather with how A&M is continuing to bring in top end talent like the top programs.
RecklessAg
AG
VatoLocoAggie said:

I think it says a lot about our program in comparison to other programs where their players can't wait to leave. With the exception of Mad Dog, we didn't have any players declare for the draft and forgo their senior season. That is very admirable to see the devotion and loyalty to Jimbo and program.

I'd think the players know that their stat line should be much improved with a more favorable schedule.
LincolnBorglum79
AG
16 of the 32 first round picks including the first 2 QBs taken were on teams we played last year. Clemson and Georgia become Colorado and Vandy this year.
halfastros81
AG
The Gap is closing because we are getting better . Bama and LSU will have better and worse yrs but they are always going to have competitive talent.
AGDAD14
How about just closing the gap with TCU and TT in the great state of Texas!

Just curious... when was the last time that two or more Texas Aggies were taken in the 1st round? (too lazy to look-up)

BTHO tu without ceasing!
The Lost
Maroon Flash said:

So please enlighten me as to what year LSU had overall number 1 and a total of 5 in first round?

Starting when Jimbo's first class is draft eligible, we start having multiple first rounders also.

So you're saying we may be 10 point dogs to bama, not 20, cool.
HunterAggie
Every Fisher & Co. recruiting class puts A&M closer to both Bama and LSU programs (and at or above Auburn).

And for those impatient, it shows how far behind the Aggies were in talent when Coach Fisher came on board so successful competition was years in the making.

But Jimbo is making progress every class.
HunterAggie

The Elko Era has begun
rootube
AG
Maroon Flash said:

LSU is basically a must-win game at home this year. At some point, you just have to win the games. We are smack in the middle of the division with more pressure from below than we are giving the teams above us.
Stallion99
AG
AGDAD14 said:

How about just closing the gap with TCU and TT in the great state of Texas!

Just curious... when was the last time that two or more Texas Aggies were taken in the 1st round? (too lazy to look-up)

BTHO tu without ceasing!
3 in 2014.
Agsuffering@bulaw
OP is mostly right and some are too ignorant to understand why!

Auburn and LSU have recruited about the same as us the last few years. Bama is a level up. The talent gap with Auburn should be closed by 2021. Bama probably takes longer. LSU depends on how they follow up. Jimbo is on course for complete position-groups in 2021, something we lacked for 25 years.

We havent had defensive depth since 2001. We may have it this year, and should by 2021. The OL was an embarressment during much of Fran's time. Sherm fixed it, Sumlin quandered it. McCoy covered for a frantastic collection of OL. We will be lucky to have an SEC average OL this year.

Arkie pushed us around pre-SEC. We lost the last 3 bowls badly vs SEC teams during the Fran-Sherm era. JFF covered a lot of problems, but that was it. The 2012 team lacked depth but luckily never got exposed. The 2013 defense was an embarressment. During the Myles era, the defense was bad when he came off.

Some have insuffecient appreciation for how poorly Sumlin managed the supply chain at every stage and still have a Big 12 understanding of recruiting and attrition.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Through the better part of three rounds of the draft:

LSU - 10 picks
Bama - 9 picks
A&M - 1 pick

Yep, gap is closing now after Sumlin was getting his ass handed to him the last few years.
W
AG
the 2018 recruiting class is looking very shaky. May be a couple of front seven players that could be first/second day draft picks
DSAG
That's one way to look at it.
Ghost91
Just stopped by this board for the first time in forever. Not surprisingly, looks like nothing has changed.

2011: "We won't dominate in the SEC right away, but in 4 or 5 years, look out!!".

2012: "Johnny's Heisman changes EVERYTHING. This will send shockwaves across Texas and across the SEC! Look out!!".

"Man, screw Kyler Murray and his drama for thinking about decommitting...never wanted him anyways....wait, we got Kyler Murray?? Look out!!".

"Kyle Allen was smiling on the sideline when we were losing! Revoke his scholly!....holy cow, did you see that pass KA just threw?? NOT ass my dudes! Look out!".

And on and on with Sumlin and helicopters and something-something and 7 OTs ("lookout!") etc.

Now queue the "no one ever said any of this on this board replies.
rootube
AG
W said:

the 2018 recruiting class is looking very shaky. May be a couple of front seven players that could be first/second day draft picks

I was about to wade in and defend the '18 class but compared to the '19 class there is a LOT less production. Losing Corbin really hurt he would have had a breakout year last year.
rootube
AG
Ghost91 said:

Just stopped by this board for the first time in forever. Not surprisingly, looks like nothing has changed.

2011: "We won't dominate in the SEC right away, but in 4 or 5 years, look out!!".

2012: "Johnny's Heisman changes EVERYTHING. This will send shockwaves across Texas and across the SEC! Look out!!".

"Man, screw Kyler Murray and his drama for thinking about decommitting...never wanted him anyways....wait, we got Kyler Murray?? Look out!!".

"Kyle Allen was smiling on the sideline when we were losing! Revoke his scholly!....holy cow, did you see that pass KA just threw?? NOT ass my dudes! Look out!".

And on and on with Sumlin and helicopters and something-something and 7 OTs ("lookout!") etc.

Now queue the "no one ever said any of this on this board replies.

Heres a reply. What is your point? Is it that people say things you don't agree with? Welcome to the internet.
W
AG
I hope the talent gap is closing.

LSU is up to 12 players drafted with the 4th round still in progress.

unbelievable
W
AG
it's kind of the elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about. The '18 class needs to take a big step forward on the field in 2020
AGDAD14
Thanks Stallion99. Evans, Matthews, and Johnny... 2 of 3 still playing in the NFL.

I wonder how many other Texas Aggies are still in the NFL who played with Johnny and made him famous for two short years? (I will get crucified for that comment!... LOL) Or do others need to thank Johnny for their NFL careers?

BTHO tu without ceasing!
Agsuffering@bulaw
Had Sumlin even been an average SEC HC, much that would have proven out.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
I'd like to think this season will be the closest we've been to Bama's talent level since 2015. Hopefully this season our QB avoids spotting them 21 in the first half.
Propofolsu
The funny thing is this talent gap thing wasn't achieved through normal means:

Burrow- grad transfer who chose between us and Cincy

Jefferson- 76th rated recruit in LA. Kudos to Ed O for seeing his ability

Queen-needed to be convinced to play lb due to deluge of talent in backfield

Chaissonthe a true prize recruit. Meets the normal road to 1st round

Clydelocal footballer to BR often criticized for his size and lack of breakaway speed

The point I'm making here is 4 of the 5 first rounders were developed at LSU. You don't have to get 18 4 stars every recruiting class. This certainly helps but I think luck and locker room culture is just as important.
AggieBiker
AG
VatoLocoAggie said:

Rogers and Davis both left early. We've also had players that Jimbo brought in transfer out. All of this is no different from other schools and that is okay.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.