Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

2019-2020 QB Transfer Portal: worth looking into?

4,959 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Agsuffering@bulaw
BrotherChad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just off the top off my head there's: Tanner Mordecai and Spencer Rattler at OU. Mac Jones and Tua 2.0 at Bama. All 4 of these guys can't start next year.

I am not discrediting what Mond has done this far, but I think we should take advantage of the favorable schedule next year and I believe most of these guys have a higher ceiling than Mond.
Agvet12
AG
No.

Lol poor troll attempt
BrotherChad
AG
Agvet12 said:

No.

Lol poor troll attempt

How am I trolling? I don't see Mond beating Bama or LSU next year. Auburn is 50/50 IMO.
GigEmTx
Quote:

I am not discrediting what Mond has done this far, but I think we should take advantage of the favorable schedule next year and I believe most of these guys have a higher ceiling than Mond.
Isn't it hard to tell how high Mond's ceiling is when the O-line is not able to stop pass rushers consistently? Mond has been pressured more than just about any QB around. Give him a clean pocket and he'll play well. With the O-line improving, I'd expect an offense led by Mond to take a big step forward next year.
TXAGBQ76
AG
So two guys from ou who were not able to crack the line up at ou could suddenly come here and start over Mond in an offense they've never run?

Who is going to start over mini- Tua or Matt Jones? If one of them cannot win a wide open qb slot next year, how are they good enough to beat out a Mond?
Mort Rainey
Agvet12 said:

No.

Lol poor troll attempt

Who is the real troll?
BrotherChad
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

So two guys from ou who were not able to crack the line up at ou could suddenly come here and start over Mond in an offense they've never run?

Who is going to start over mini- Tua or Matt Jones? If one of them cannot win a wide open qb slot next year, how are they good enough to beat out a Mond?

I get what you're saying, but I'm thinking more a long the lines of how Justin Fields worked out at tOSU and Burrow worked out at LSU.

Also GigemTx I agree, we need a better OL. That being said if the OL doesn't improve it's worth seeing if we can find someone like Burrow who has better pocket awareness and can still make plays when the OL breaks down.
mitchdpm
AG
So let me get this straight. In your head, breaking in a transfer QB is going to work out better next year than our current QB who has been learning in the system for 2 full years? Yeah, no.
Agvet12
AG
I answered the question. This is a stupid question that's been brought up before, and has the same answer lol.

Mond may not be a world beater, but Jimbo is not going to bring a transfer QB to start, he's not Sunlin.

Look at the QBs who are committed to us, the logical question is who is going to transfer first? Calzada or King (the one who doesn't start will transfer) and we're probably looking at losing Foster to the portal this year.

Edit: I should add I'm not a Mond supporter, but the dude is getting it done (also good to see Jimbo adjusting the scheme to fit the players over the last few games as well - split backs and letting Mond use his legs more)
ABATTBQ87
AG
BrotherChad said:

Just off the top off my head there's: Tanner Mordecai and Spencer Rattler at OU. Mac Jones and Tua 2.0 at Bama. All 4 of these guys can't start next year.

Why don't you enter the transfer portal and go support another school
ironmanag
AG
Mabel Choate said:

Agvet12 said:

No.

Lol poor troll attempt

Who is the real troll?
You
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Jimbo doesn't run a Mickey Mouse offense that some super athlete can just step in and run. It takes time to learn it.

Who knows, maybe in this day and age, that might actually be a problem. But for now, Jimbo's system requires learning.
vander54
S
It is very unlikely a transfer QB will be able to pick up Jimbo's offense quickly enough to pass Mond even if they are more talented.
ironmanag
AG
BrotherChad said:

Agvet12 said:

No.

Lol poor troll attempt

How am I trolling? I don't see Mond beating Bama or LSU next year. Auburn is 50/50 IMO.
Hey smart guy.

Mond already has more wins over LSU than JFF did.

Want to try again.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
TexasAggieJTL
AG
Very excited to see Mond lead the Aggie offense in 2020.

It's been a long while so since we've had a Senior QB

Experience is invaluable.

Double Diamond
The best thing for A&M is Mond playing QB at A&M next season.
akm91
AG
Quote:

I get what you're saying, but I'm thinking more a long the lines of how Justin Fields worked out at tOSU and Burrow worked out at LSU.
Burrows lost last year to Mond.

Regarding Fields, JK Dobbins has almost 1,300 rushing yds. A&M as a team totals less than 1,800. Not difficult to look good when your running game is humming. The best teams that tOSU has played one tough opponent so far this year, Wisconsin.
rootube
AG
BrotherChad said:

So you are suggesting we should throw out a Senior QB who is one of the statistical leaders in the SEC and replace him with what is essentially the third-string QB at OU and Alabama. Come on.
PyriteAg
AG
BrotherChad said:

If Mond was that bad, I'm pretty sure Jimbo would have brought in a transfer QB in his first year. At this point, it's really late to consider those options.

Also, have you ever seen Jimbo's press conferences? He gives a lot of praises to Mond and they're clearly more than just lip services.
Spyderman
AG
Need an OL before a portal QB IMO.
Alpha Texan
AG
GigEmTx said:

Quote:

Isn't it hard to tell how high Mond's ceiling is when the O-line is not able to stop pass rushers consistently? Mond has been pressured more than just about any QB around. Give him a clean pocket and he'll play well. With the O-line improving, I'd expect an offense led by Mond to take a big step forward next year.
^. Everyone is giving the O line a lot of credit this week, and they definitely did a MUCH better job than they have all year, so I hope they keep building on that, but Mond took some shots and got left in the dirt a lot.
samhoustonag
Use what we have recruited. Hopefully one of our young QB's will beat out Mond in the spring, given the chance.
samhoustonag
Alpha Texan said:

GigEmTx said:

Quote:

^. Everyone is giving the O line a lot of credit this week, and they definitely did a MUCH better job than they have all year, so I hope they keep building on that, but Mond took some shots and got left in the dirt a lot.
Some of that is his own fault. He can't anticipate pressure even when it is coming right in his face.
BrotherChad
AG
Dario said:

BrotherChad said:

If Mond was that bad, I'm pretty sure Jimbo would have brought in a transfer QB in his first year. At this point, it's really late to consider those options.

Also, have you ever seen Jimbo's press conferences? He gives a lot of praises to Mond and they're clearly more than just lip services.
I'm not saying he's that bad. He's a solid 7-9 W per year even with a bad supporting cast. I just think if we can get someone better that could make us more competitive against the big dogs in the SEC West, then we should.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
It is so rare to have a senior QB. I'd like to give it a shot.
rgag12
AG
Brother chad threads
agwrestler
AG
BrotherChad said:

Agvet12 said:

No.

Lol poor troll attempt

Help me remember the last QB to beat LSU...
ManicDepression
BrotherChad said:

Dario said:

BrotherChad said:

I'm not saying he's that bad. He's a solid 7-9 W per year even with a bad supporting cast. I just think if we can get someone better that could make us more competitive against the big dogs in the SEC West, then we should.

Yeah, and what you're saying is dumb, with all due respect (which in your case is minuscule).
greg.w.h
AG
BrotherChad is a troll. He's consistent about it. Get used to more of it as he tries to get attention. Just change the subject or ignore him.
Ifishandlie
AG
greg.w.h said:

BrotherChad is a troll. He's consistent about it. Get used to more of it as he tries to get attention. Just change the subject or ignore him.

To quote Ron White. "You can't fix stupid"
jdub98
Good grief, all good points except for using the LSU win as a point for Mond (by several on this thread so far). The biggest reason we stayed in that game was due to a play where Mond made two mistakes (let his knee touch the ground while trying to keep the play alive, then throwing an interception) that happened to cancel each other out by dumb luck. Other than that it was due to circus catches of bad throws.
ABATTBQ11
AG
BrotherChad said:

Agvet12 said:

No.

Lol poor troll attempt

Well, for one, you keep posting
Joe Exotic
AG
BrotherChad said:

Agvet12 said:

No.

Lol poor troll attempt

Mond is your starter next year. You need to accept that.
Uncle Jimbo
Just once, I'd like to see what happens if we actually give a QB time to develop rather than scapegoating them for all our other problems when they're a freshman or sophomore.

Mond has improved steadily every single season and, like him or not, he's gonna end up being one of the winningest QB's in A&M history.
cevans_40
AG
jdub98 said:

Good grief, all good points except for using the LSU win as a point for Mond (by several on this thread so far). The biggest reason we stayed in that game was due to a play where Mond made two mistakes (let his knee touch the ground while trying to keep the play alive, then throwing an interception) that happened to cancel each other out by dumb luck. Other than that it was due to circus catches of bad throws.

Wow. That's certainly one way to look at it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.