Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

tu-KU Game Clock error?

11,151 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Pelayo
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
edsel said:

Based on what I am reading, we got screwed versus Auburn. We lost a lot of time by the ref starting the clock ASAP. I had never seen such hurry up by the refs. TU got the slow-down refs
. There was definitely some fast moving clock starts at the end of the Alabama game, but it made no difference in the outcome. Don't recall Auburn fast clock.
Martin Cash
AG
Les Miles has filed a complaint. On first downs on tu's last drive, the clock wasn't started until the ball was snapped.
J-Licious
AG
Cactus Jack said:

Funny how in the vast majority of college football games, the clock in that situation is starting even before all the chains are set. It was a point of emphasis a few years ago to speed up the game by starting the clock as soon as possible after a first down. That includes hurry up situations. If you've been watching college football over the last few seasons you've noticed it. The clock doesn't stop for very long after a first down anymore.

On Saturday, everything was going in slow motion on their last drive. It was painfully obvious that the clock operator gave them an extra few seconds, especially after the first down run. They probably don't have time to run the sideline play before the field goal, so it's a 39-yarder instead of a 33. Probably not much of a difference in the outcome.

It was painfully obvious that they were slow rolling the clock, but the first down with about 32 seconds left was the most egregious, no time went off the clock before the next snap. Ina normal situation, you would have seen 3-5 seconds come off by then.
aTmC4neck
AG
FriscoKid said:

sellthefarm said:

College football should seriously consider ditching the first down clock stoppage. The games are too long.

I've never understood this complaint from folks. You want an hour long game so you can change the channel back to HGTV or something?
I want fewer commercials.
Gyles Marrett
Another wonderful example of why anyone that wants to go back to playing the sips has lost their mind. We'd have to defeat the sips and the refs every other year when in Austin....and sometimes even in CS.
Rabid Cougar
AG
edsel said:

So will someone in the know post what the current rule is for starting the clock. In our game versus Auburn, I saw the refs run to place the ball and the signal given to stop the clock. It appeared the clock stopped for 2-3 seconds. I was complaining but maybe that is the rule to speed up the game. I assume the rule is the same whether in the middle of the game or in the last 2 minutes (unlike the out of bounds rule). Used to be that the chains had to be set before the clock started. If that has changed, is there a separate official who is there to mark where the chain should be set?

The TU versus Kansas game, the officials were not in a hurry to spot the ball or start the clock And that definitely benefitted TU. Is it possible that the Big 12 enforces the rule differently than the SEC at least when it is TU playing in Austin?

The chains being set before the snap is irrelevant. Clock stops when 1st downs are made and is started as soon as the ball is set and ref winds the game clock making it ready for play. If the chains are not set by the time the ball is snapped, the HL will drop his bean bag so the down box and chains can set up as the play is in progress. This is the mechanic for the entire game and for all NCAA games. 99.9% of the time the down box is in place before the snap occurs.
91AggieLawyer
AG
1996OlAg said:

I noticed the clock seemed to start late in the last minute or so. When sip got a first down the clock was stopped to set the chains but not restarted like it usually is. Seemed like it was every play

The game clock operators are assigned by the Big 12. I don't know who actually worked Saturday night, but I know at least 2 that work the clock in the Big 12 (or did in recent years; don't know for sure if both still do).
91AggieLawyer
AG
edsel said:

Used to be that the chains had to be set before the clock started. If that has changed, is there a separate official who is there to mark where the chain should be set?

That's NEVER been the case. That's what announcers say and people assume it is the rule. One thing has nothing to do with the other. Clock stops due to a first down; clock starts when the Referee winds the clock as soon as he determines it is ready for play. Basically, it is when the Umpire or Center Judge has the ball at or near where the spot will be and has spotted it or will be putting it down soon. As long as he's consistent the entire game, there shouldn't be a problem. Those complaining on here about t.u.'s last drive MAY have a point but only if they can compare it to how the clock was wound on the previous KU's drive.

About 12 years ago, the NCAA went to the 40 second play clock. Prior to that, every play had a 25 second play clock where the Referee whistled the ready for play with either a wind the clock or a chopping motion (game clock remains dead). Now, the 40 second clock is already running because it started at the end of the previous play. The reason the change was made was that it was felt that there was too much inconsistency in how much time elapsed before the Referee signaled the ready for play.

KU needed to make just one defensive stop on that last drive and didn't do it. That's why they lost.
_mpaul
AG
Martin Cash said:

Les Miles has filed a complaint. On first downs on tu's last drive, the clock wasn't started until the ball was snapped.
Welcome back to the BDF, Les.
Paper. An insane deer. Taco meat.
Law Hall 69-72
AG
LeftyAg89 said:

Texas A&M Football?
When some idiots want to play the cheating sips again, this is definitely Aggie football related.
Ag 11
AG
Herman kissed all the refs after the game
aggiedad7
These threads are so stupid. Sips whine about the refs when they play OU. They got called for 17 penalties in last years CCG. Why, not because of bad refs. Because their OLine sucked and their Dbacks got several PIs. I watched the end of that game against KU and I didn't see any clock malfunctions and I'd have noticed. Can't believe how much time is wasted on **** like this. when there's a game tomorrow.
dixichkn
AG
eATMup-Reveille
Just eliminate the clock stoppage on 1st down and all of this goes away.
Pelayo
AG
sellthefarm said:

College football should seriously consider ditching the first down clock stoppage. The games are too long.
Hell no
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.