Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

tu-KU Game Clock error?

11,131 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Pelayo
BQDrummer85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No time came off the clock on TV on KU's 2-pt conversion. Right before the tu field goal the TV clock time changed from 4 to 5 seconds. Interesting. I know the refs are also supposed to keep the official time, but is it possible there was no time left when tu kicked the "game winning" FG?
vander54
S
No time comes off during extra points but not sure on the 4 to 5 second change
Oldfart2
Time doesn't run on extra points does it?

(Dang it...old guy is slow)
Smudge
AG
PAT's and 2 pt conversions are not timed downs...
Class of '00
Gig 'em!
BQDrummer85
AG
Okay, then I'm the dummy.
ccolley68
AG
This OP is why listening to any of the drivel on this site is a bad idea, at all times.
BQDrummer85
AG
That's why I ask the question, geese. I knew this was the place to ask the question!
Smudge
AG
BQDrummer85 said:

That's why I ask the question, geese. I knew this was the place to ask the question!
If you don't know, you don't know. Haters gonna hate...
Class of '00
Gig 'em!
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Knowing sip, I'm sure there was some slow rolling of the game clock during their final drive. It's what they do.
aggie appraiser
Sip cheats. Who would have thunk it?
Unemployed
AG
BQDrummer85 said:

Try google next time. At least it'll save you from the ridicule.
Sponge
AG

You may recognize the guy in the blue jacket. He was the ref in charge of the game clock during the 2pt conversion.
Well now he's cruising around on his giant yacht!
DA DAA DAAAAA!!!
1996OlAg
AG
I noticed the clock seemed to start late in the last minute or so. When sip got a first down the clock was stopped to set the chains but not restarted like it usually is. Seemed like it was every play
Aero95
AG
https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article236494833.html

I posted this a few hours ago in OR. There was definitely some home-cookin' going on with the clock.
Sq 17
1996OlAg said:

I noticed the clock seemed to start late in the last minute or so. When sip got a first down the clock was stopped to set the chains but not restarted like it usually is. Seemed like it was every play

That is ref decision to "wind" the clock,
I have notice this year the time to Set The chains Has been reduced. Not sure if this is a conference policy or crew by crew. Personally do not like the change not sure if BDF officials are part of the trend

Emilio Fantastico
AG
So without even watching the game, I was correct in my assumption. Color me shocked. /sarcasm

Never again!
LeftyAg89
AG
Texas A&M Football?
Not a Bot
AG
Funny how in the vast majority of college football games, the clock in that situation is starting even before all the chains are set. It was a point of emphasis a few years ago to speed up the game by starting the clock as soon as possible after a first down. That includes hurry up situations. If you've been watching college football over the last few seasons you've noticed it. The clock doesn't stop for very long after a first down anymore.

On Saturday, everything was going in slow motion on their last drive. It was painfully obvious that the clock operator gave them an extra few seconds, especially after the first down run. They probably don't have time to run the sideline play before the field goal, so it's a 39-yarder instead of a 33. Probably not much of a difference in the outcome.
sellthefarm
AG
College football should seriously consider ditching the first down clock stoppage. The games are too long.
Luke The Drifter
AG
sellthefarm said:

College football should seriously consider ditching the first down clock stoppage not having 1000 commercials during the broadcast. The games are too long.

FIFY...

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Punked Shank
AG
Amazing how many posters do not know basic rules of football but want to extreme changes after every tackle or sack.

Texags doesnt know things most of the time

Edit: not a dig directly at you OP...just the overall theme of the boards at most times.
All_In_Ags
halfastros81
AG
Is this an A & M question?
FriscoKid
AG
sellthefarm said:

College football should seriously consider ditching the first down clock stoppage. The games are too long.

I've never understood this complaint from folks. You want an hour long game so you can change the channel back to HGTV or something?
TxAggieBand85
AG
1996OlAg said:

This rule changed a few years ago, along with many clock running rules.

1st Down, clock stopped until "Ready to Play" is whistled.

Similar for incomplete pass and out of bounds, but the clock stays stopped late in the half, not sure what that time is.

UH came to A&M in the 90's with the Run and Shoot. Was over 4 hours of game with all the incomplete passes.
Turkey
AG
Who?
FarmersFight84
Not surprising in the least. Sips have been enjoying that same home "crooking" if you will for years and years. Glad we don't have to deal with it!
gocobra
AG
Never again!
offenseguru
AG
Never. Again.

Worth repeating infinity
edsel
AG
So will someone in the know post what the current rule is for starting the clock. In our game versus Auburn, I saw the refs run to place the ball and the signal given to stop the clock. It appeared the clock stopped for 2-3 seconds. I was complaining but maybe that is the rule to speed up the game. I assume the rule is the same whether in the middle of the game or in the last 2 minutes (unlike the out of bounds rule). Used to be that the chains had to be set before the clock started. If that has changed, is there a separate official who is there to mark where the chain should be set?

The TU versus Kansas game, the officials were not in a hurry to spot the ball or start the clock And that definitely benefitted TU. Is it possible that the Big 12 enforces the rule differently than the SEC at least when it is TU playing in Austin?
ABATTBQ87
AG
NCAA Football - Quick Clock Tutorial

This document is intended to assist clock operators in the understand and application of NCAA Football rules. If you have questions or need clarification, please contact NCAA SecretaryRules Editor Steve Shaw at footballrules@ncaa.org
Frank Grimes
AG
TxAggieBand85 said:

1996OlAg said:

This rule changed a few years ago, along with many clock running rules.

1st Down, clock stopped until "Ready to Play" is whistled.

Similar for incomplete pass and out of bounds, but the clock stays stopped late in the half, not sure what that time is.

UH came to A&M in the 90's with the Run and Shoot. Was over 4 hours of game with all the incomplete passes.
And we beat them. And Aaron Wallace took Andre Ware's head off.
edsel
edsel
AG
Based on what I am reading, we got screwed versus Auburn. We lost a lot of time by the ref starting the clock ASAP. I had never seen such hurry up by the refs. TU got the slow-down refs
AGHouston11
AG
Never again!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.