Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Mond is not perfect

7,337 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
Ags4DaWin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah...I mean the running game or lack thereof really comes into play when noone is in ur face and you have 10 yards of open field around receivers but still overthrow them by 5 yards....
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Ags4DaWin said:

Yeah...I mean the running game or lack thereof really comes into play when noone is in ur face and you have 10 yards of open field around receivers but still overthrow them by 5 yards....

See, I was talking about the other 68 plays on offense a game. Not the one play a game you are talking about. Although that would certainly help out his QBR too if he completes more passes, great point.
TX_Aggie37
AG
Ags4DaWin said:

Mond Ranks
51 in completion percentage in the country
67 in passing efficiency in the country
87 in yards per completion in the country

QBR compared to SEC starters

1 Burrow 216 (LSU)
2 Tua 212 (bama)
3 Trask 159 (Florida)
4 Jake Fromm 152.2 (Georgia)
5 Kelly Bryant 149 (Missouri)
6 Guarantano 139.6 (Tennessee)
7 Tommy Stevens 137(Miss St.)
8 Bo Nix 136.4 (Auburn) freshman
9 Mond 134.1 (A&M)
10 Matt Corral 129 (Ole Miss) RS Fresh
11 Ryan Hilinski 119 (USCe) freshman
12 Riley Neal 115 (Vandy)
13 Ben Hicks and Nick Starkel (Arkansas) Both hovering at 105
14 Kentucky did not qualify no QB has started more than 3 games

His QBR is at the bottom of the SEC barrel and he is only beating 2 freshmen, Vanderbilt's quarterback, and both abysmal Arkansas QB's. Hell he is even getting BEATEN by Auburn's freshman in that category.

His completion percentage is 6th best in the SEC...two teams in the SEC have had not had a consistent starter due to injuries...so he is really 6th out of twelve teams...whichever way you cut it is average for the SEC.
His efficiency rating is 8th best in the SEC.
Yards per Attempt is 9th in the SEC, once again at the bottom of teams that have had a regular starter for most of the season.
I thought you were just talking about comparing to conference QBs. Obviously he isn't a top QB nationwide. Sorry I missed his QBR ranking by one slot, my bad. I still stand by my point. He's plenty capable of playing QB. Just not when he has to be the one and only source of offense without any protection.

Regarding getting beaten by Bo Nix in QBR... I think that shows how misleading that stat can be sometimes. Bo has a worse Completion % on fewer attempts, fewer yards, fewer TDs. The only thing he has Mond beat on is 5 picks vs Mond's 6 and Bo has thrown 169 passes to Mond's 251.
DGAG92
AG
There's a huge difference between "playing QB" and "being a QB".

Mond plays QB......he's no QB.
Class of 1992
DGAG92
AG
lil_frog8 said:

Mond is taking it for the team while Calzada develops and will be a good quality backup if King is a generational type talent like T Lawrence. If Mond was smart he will graduate the summer so he can transfer if he looses his job this spring.

Calzada will never be our starter. He'll be in the portal next year, when Mond gets the nod from Jimbo again. King will be the QB2 in waiting.
Class of 1992
Ags4DaWin
Whichever way you cut it Mond is mediocre. That is why i posted multiple stat comparisons.

A good quarterback would be near the top in at least a few of those categories. Mond is not near the top in any of those categories.
DGAG92
AG
Ags4DaWin said:

Whichever way you cut it Mond is mediocre. That is why i posted multiple stat comparisons.

A good quarterback would be near the top in at least a few of those categories. Mond is not near the top in any of those categories.

Easy now. The thin skinned, easily offended Aggies take offense to criticism of one of our own.

It's difficult seeing our program pay enormous amounts of money for bandaids to fix a problem that needs amputation. Until the "we never lose a halftime crowd and administration" fazes out, we'll always be what we've always been.....mediocre at best. Jimbo will get it done, but it's going to take a while and to what extent is yet to be determined.
Class of 1992
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Dgrimesag92 said:

Ags4DaWin said:

Easy now. The thin skinned, easily offended Aggies take offense to criticism of one of our own.

It's difficult seeing our program pay enormous amounts of money for bandaids to fix a problem that needs amputation. Until the "we never lose a halftime crowd and administration" fazes out, we'll always be what we've always been.....mediocre at best. Jimbo will get it done, but it's going to take a while and to what extent is yet to be determined.

Lol. Yes it's the fans that are the problem. That's why our run game is bad.
DGAG92
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

Ags4DaWin said:

Read much? Where did I say it was the fault of the fans? I'm referring to the good ole boy network we have in place, who are instrumental in making program decisions. Do you know? Have you ever been involved with the athletic program and see what goes on? I have and it's there.
Class of 1992
MMantle
AG
Can't, and don't disagree with Mond's numbers and rankings.

But, I'd like to see what any other QB would / could do

1) behind that OL, under constant pressure, very little time to throw and pick out an open receiver

2) with very little running game

3) no WR deep threat

RR

njohn87
AG
That sums it up pretty well. Mond would be perfectly adequate if all other aspects of the offense were solid, but unfortunately that's not the case.

At the same time, I think Jimbo has a past that has earned him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to assessing quarterbacks. If he believes Mond is the better option right now than sending out Calzada, then I trust his judgement.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Dgrimesag92 said:

Champ Bailey said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

Ags4DaWin said:

Read much? Where did I say it was the fault of the fans? I'm referring to the good ole boy network we have in place, who are instrumental in making program decisions. Do you know? Have you ever been involved with the athletic program and see what goes on? I have and it's there.

Quote:

Until the "we never lose a halftime crowd and administration" fazes out, we'll always be what we've always been.....mediocre at best.
Mort Rainey
How many of these threads do we need?
DGAG92
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

Champ Bailey said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

Ags4DaWin said:

Quote:

Until the "we never lose a halftime crowd and administration" fazes out, we'll always be what we've always been.....mediocre at best.

Crowd, meaning the crowd around the program....not crowd meaning the fans in the stands.
Class of 1992
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
It's easy to hold onto the ball too long when all you get is 2 seconds to process a 3 second progression.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Ags4DaWin said:

aggiecouch said:

Our QB could do some things better.

He sometimes holds on to the ball too long. He takes some unnecessary sacks. He still commits ill-advised critical turnovers that a jr QB shouldn't.

He's a tough SOB. He gets no protection, takes hits and goes out and continues to compete. I respect that.

Thanks for representing us Kellen. Keep grinding. You'll get some hate on here, but some folks see what you're about.

He takes sacks and gets hit because he fails to identify obvious blitzes presnap, stares down a single reciever every pass play, and holds the ball too long, delivering the ball too late.
How do you know the "obvious blitzes" aren't lack of execution from his blockers? The first sack of the Ole Miss game you see three blockers on the left side lined up in front of an "obvious blitzer". As soon as the play is snapped all three go the other way and the guy gets an untouched sack on Mond.
UnderTheHillAg
Nobody said he was perfect, he's got the physical tools but is just not there mentally. He needs a lot of help and he can win you 10 games, but if you expect him to pick up reads and really UNDERSTAND the offense, then you're asking too much of him. He reminds me a lot of one of Jimbo's old qb's...EJ Manuel

Good enough to win some games, enough talent to look good by NFL scouts, but never had the accuracy or decision-making
AggieBlu
AG
The Pulse last night explained a lot about how tough this kid really is. He is a "Fight'n" Texas Aggie Football player that would make Bucky Richardson proud! #GIGEM
I will never understand how someone can tell so many lies and not feel bad about it...
DGAG92
AG
AggieBlu said:

The Pulse last night explained a lot about how tough this kid really is. He is a "Fight'n" Texas Aggie Football player that would make Bucky Richardson proud! #GIGEM

Bucky wasn't accurate either, but at least he knew when to run and he had a very high football IQ. Mond does not.
Class of 1992
Bunk Moreland
Morons who can't explain themselves in the zoo constantly say he doesn't have a high football IQ.

The head coach constantly says he's picking up tons of stuff and has been incredibly aware of the situations he's seeing on the field, even mentioning earlier this year that as he was chewing Mond out coming off the field, Mond explained what he saw and when they looked it over he was right.

Who to believe is more correct on the topic...morons in the zoo...or the overly-positive HC?
Agsgirl
Ags4DaWin said:

aggiecouch said:

Our QB could do some things better.

He sometimes holds on to the ball too long. He takes some unnecessary sacks. He still commits ill-advised critical turnovers that a jr QB shouldn't.

He's a tough SOB. He gets no protection, takes hits and goes out and continues to compete. I respect that.

Thanks for representing us Kellen. Keep grinding. You'll get some hate on here, but some folks see what you're about.

He takes sacks and gets hit because he fails to identify obvious blitzes presnap, stares down a single reciever every pass play, and holds the ball too long, delivering the ball too late.

His poor QB play is the primary reason he gets hit. So why are you giving hin props for making so many mistakes?

If he would fix the problems and he will get hit alot less.
He takes sacks because we have a young and inexperienced line as well. They couldn't block a sneeze...

I agree, he holds the ball for too long, but Jimbo needs to let the boy run. He makes plays with his legs!

You should also remember, he's not the coach. He can't go do what JFF did on the field. He is doing what he is coached to do, which needs to be improved as well.

DGAG92
AG
Mond is great and we've never lost a halftime!!! Happy?
Class of 1992
Sparkie
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

It's easy to hold onto the ball too long when all you get is 2 seconds to process a 3 second progression.

There are two reasons this occurs. Mond is slow reading and delivering. Mond rarely works the short to intermediate passing lanes. He throws screens, short dump to a receiver, or deeper throws. Throws in traffic require quick reads and release. Mond does neither of those very well. Defenses know Mond lacks accuracy and work to take away the short screen type passes. They also know Mond likes to hold the ball for the deeper routes to open.

Yards per completion is very low for a quarterback with Mo d experience. It shows how he depends on short dump off passes. His lack of accuracy is due to the deep ball being a lower percentage throw.

Since the linebackers dont have to worry about covering intermediate passing lanes, they are free to attack the run and bum rush Mond.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Dgrimesag92 said:

AggieBlu said:

Bucky wasn't accurate either, but at least he knew when to run and he had a very high football IQ. Mond does not.

He's makes up almost half the rushing yards on our team this year. Bucky never passed above 51% at A&M, and he never accounted for that much of our run game.
cevans_40
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

AggieBlu said:

He's makes up almost half the rushing yards on our team this year. Bucky never passed above 51% at A&M, and he never accounted for that much of our run game.

God bless you. I can't do it anymore.
NyAggie
AG
Quote:

That sums it up pretty well. Mond would be perfectly adequate if all other aspects of the offense were solid, but unfortunately that's not the case.

At the same time, I think Jimbo has a past that has earned him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to assessing quarterbacks. If he believes Mond is the better option right now than sending out Calzada, then I trust his judgement.

Yep

And without mond's running our offense goes nowhere and we lose to Arkansas and ole miss because our blocking has been terrible this year

Mond's biggest issue is his inaccuracy on deep balls

If he would complete those it would open up the offense more, but since he rarely ever dies teams don't really worry about those much and they can condense the field and make it tougher on the run game
Agvet12
AG
NyAggie said:

Quote:

Yep

And without mond's running our offense goes nowhere and we lose to Arkansas and ole miss because our blocking has been terrible this year

Mond's biggest issue is his inaccuracy on deep balls

If he would complete those it would open up the offense more, but since he rarely ever dies teams don't really worry about those much and they can condense the field and make it tougher on the run game

How lives does he have left?????? I know he used one in the LSU game last year
samhoustonag
MMantle said:

Can't, and don't disagree with Mond's numbers and rankings.

But, I'd like to see what any other QB would / could do

1) behind that OL, under constant pressure, very little time to throw and pick out an open receiver

2) with very little running game

3) no WR deep threat

RR

A really good QB could complete long passes, thus keeping the D from stacking the line. Thus opening up the running game.

A really good QB would have a quicker release, better field awareness - thus getting sacked fewer times.

Time to stop making excuses for Mond.
samhoustonag
Bunk Moreland said:

Morons who can't explain themselves in the zoo constantly say he doesn't have a high football IQ.

The head coach constantly says he's picking up tons of stuff and has been incredibly aware of the situations he's seeing on the field, even mentioning earlier this year that as he was chewing Mond out coming off the field, Mond explained what he saw and when they looked it over he was right.

Who to believe is more correct on the topic...morons in the zoo...or the overly-positive HC?
I believe what my eyes tell me.

HC is not necessarily overly positive, just trying to pump up his players' confidence.
samhoustonag
Champ Bailey said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

AggieBlu said:

But his runs were clutch runs. And a number of TD runs.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
samhoustonag said:

Champ Bailey said:

Dgrimesag92 said:

AggieBlu said:

But his runs were clutch runs. And a number of TD runs.

Bucky accounted for 12 TD's passing and rushing his junior year. Mond has already accounted for 16 this season.
Bunk Moreland
But his were clutch touchdowns. You know...against Hawaii, SW La, UNT, Tech, Rice, SMU, Arky & TCU...all unranked.

Nevermind the losses to LSU, UH & tu, or that tie to Baylor.
greg.w.h
AG
Mond throws better than Bucky did. But Mond has a bit to go to project to the camera at least the sense of leadership and "executive" decision making Bucky displayed.

We see the potential, and frankly Bucky had to exhibit Manziel-style skills and frankly craziness to do what he did. When Mond is improvising you see some of it and you see him forcing the defense to respond and to cheat coverage the way Bucky and Johnny did. But it's as if he's trying to straddle two different sets of thoughts.

In reality we might lack the skill position players and O-line to allow Mond the luxury of not thinking both sets of thoughts. The other conclusions we reached are efforts not to help him improve but to pigeonhole him. From the fan perspective this is just the price he has to pay. But from the coaching and player perspective it's got to be rough on him to take the "constructive criticism".
samhoustonag
Bunk Moreland said:

But his were clutch touchdowns. You know...against Hawaii, SW La, UNT, Tech, Rice, SMU, Arky & TCU...all unranked.

Nevermind the losses to LSU, UH & tu, or that tie to Baylor.
The sips, BYU, etc.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Clutch run by Mond for the TD.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.