Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Why is Herby singling us out?

9,594 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Showstopper
OldShadeOfBlue
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This whole discussion of Kyle Field's lack of home field advantage has really perplexed me. Its not really that Herby and a lot of you think Kyle's home field advantage is overblown. What bothers me is how somehow A&M is being singled out on this. Check out this list of home field records vs road records.

https://www.boydsbets.com/college-football-home-field-advantage/

A&M is more or less in the center. Meaning we win more at home than on the road compared to the teams further down the list. Below us? Texas, Bama, LSU, Georgia, Michigan, Auburn, Florida, Oregon, and South Carolina, and dozens more. All places that supposedly have great home field advantages.

In my opinion home field advantage is just overblown across the sport. Teams have figured out how to go into opposing stadiums and win. Your team is either good or it's not. The location doesn't matter half as much as most think.
Mr. Ectomy
AG
He's probably just pissed because he propped us up for so long, and has gotten no ROI.
gig em 02
They were probably discussing A&M because Kyle Field is hosting the biggest college football game of the weekend.
sleepybeagle
AG
It hasn't been the same since Slocum and the WC. Would be nice to get it back to a place you dont want to visit
AG
The guy has been in our corner for years, despite taking crap from his media cohorts for it, and we've proven him wrong over and over and over on a national stage.

Pretty sure he's just as sick of this team embarrassing him on national television as most alumni are.

He's an anchor on Gameday. Go check our record when they've been to one of our games...

Among schools with at least five GameDay appearances, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M have the worst record at 1-7.
CHOCOLATE CHIP TRIP
gig em 02 said:

They were probably discussing A&M because Kyle Field is hosting the biggest college football game of the weekend.

Actually Death Valley in Baton Rouge is. We're barely ranked, so Alabama coming here is certainly not the biggest game of the weekend.

Anyway OP, I agree it is perplexing. If we are so irrelevant, why go so far out of their way to be dicks to us? I think the answer is that one or more higher ups at ESPN have had it out for us for a very long time. This kind of bizarrely negative stuff about A&M has been coming out of ESPN for years, in a pretty coordinated way, and the only sensible explanation for it is that the talking heads doing it are getting instructions from somewhere.
cords12
He used to love us and always pick us to win at Kyle Field just like he picked us to beat Auburn this year. We've let him down so many times, I think he's just tired of being wrong about the Aggies. Trust me, Herbie we know how you feel
MaxPower
Who picked us to beat OU in 2002? Just win baby. WOOOO!!!!! #ricflair
rootube
AG
He gets paid to talk about college football for 14 hours per day. He probably forgot all about that conversation as soon as he got out of the car, but we will hold on to it to our graves.
jim 78
AG
RC won about 23 in a row at home didn't he?
30wedge
4 said:

The guy has been in our corner for years, despite taking crap from his media cohorts for it, and we've proven him wrong over and over and over on a national stage.

Pretty sure he's just as sick of this team embarrassing him on national television as most alumni are.

He's an anchor on Gameday. Go check our record when they've been to one of our games...

Among schools with at least five GameDay appearances, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M have the worst record at 1-7.
He just isn't very smart or he is a slow learner.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

What bothers me is how somehow A&M is being singled out
LOL, grow up.
John Francis Donaghy
Because he's been picking us to to win big games at Kyle for the last 20 years because of the 12th Man. He's gushed over the 12th Man and our gameday environment more than anyone else in college football broadcasting and we've let him down almost every time he's picked us. I don't blame the guy for finally reexamining his stance on our home field advantage. Most of us on this site did years ago.
bowhuntr
"Keep in mind that some of the best teams in the nation over the past few decades show up at the bottom of this list. This doesn't mean they don't have any home field edge, but rather that they play just as well on the road as they do at home, so their true advantage is simply not as significant."

Interesting way to calculate home field advantage...
Post removed:
by user
jenks
AG
Look at it another way...he likes us but is inciting the fan base and players to be motivated for the game.
NyAggie
AG
Quote:

Look at it another way...he likes us but is inciting the fan base and players to be motivated for the game.

Whether or not he's actually doing this, our fan base and team should take this as a challenge and rise up and be the best and oldest they can be thus Saturday

Wildcat
AG
Please. We went and built one of the largest, most modern stadiums in the country. Our practice and locker room facilities are insane. We pay our coach 7.5 mil a year. We play Clemson and Auburn and look soft and largely lost.

You ask why we are being "singled out"?

Get a dog.
revvie
AG
Quote:

jim 78:

RC won about 23 in a row at home didn't he?
That was a good run. I can't even remember the last season that we all our home games. I just checked...1999.
90ags
He's an OSU homer and wants them #1 and to win a NC (don't fall for his fake color commentary).

He needs Alabama to lose or look poorly. Why not try to wake up Kyle and steal a game or make Bama look not so good.

It won't work, but everyone took the bait.
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
permabull
AG
TonySoprano
In recent memory he has always said good things about our team, Kellen Mond, Jimbo Fisher, and Kyle Field atmosphere. So maybe he's tired of being wrong.
jrdaustin
AG
Because he wants to see a competitive game on Saturday and figures calling us out may help that happen.
sail33or
AG
He is just exactly like so many on this forum (and me) after years of talk and no results, acceptance of reality.

A&M deserves exactly the same hype and discussion Purdue, New Mexico, Arkansas, etc. receive.

Yet the coach's salary, stadium and facilities create an ironic twist.

I advise A&M watchers not to tune into sports shows and expect to hear good discussions (or any discussions) of 6-6 teams. The Manziel time has passed.

Here we are in 2019, expecting to lose big to Bama Saturday at KYLE Field. Same ol' same ol'....
Bunk Moreland
wow a lot of you must be absolutely miserable.
2thFixinAg
That's a screwed up way to look at home field advantage.

It's really a way to look at how bad a team plays on the road compared to home.

not how well they play at home.
fightinag
New Kyle Field just doesn't have that feeling that Old Kyle Field did.
I don't know why not ...... but the feeling of being in the den with the tiger is gone !
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
TopoTacos
AG
90ags said:

He's an OSU homer and wants them #1 and to win a NC (don't fall for his fake color commentary).

He needs Alabama to lose or look poorly. Why not try to wake up Kyle and steal a game or make Bama look not so good.

It won't work, but everyone took the bait.

Firstly, OSU is a lock to make the playoff if they win out, so he wouldn't need to construct a crazy conspiracy to get that matchup anyway. That's the point of the playoff.

2, Herbie was basically run out of OSU media circles for calling it like it is. The guy is as objective on screen as any analyst out there.
randy828
AG
Hurricane Gilbert Revenge time!
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
I think y'all are missing the point of this thread... These numbers clearly show we play better at home than on the road compared to a lot of great stadiums. MY POINT is Kyle Field is not the problem.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
bowhuntr said:

"Keep in mind that some of the best teams in the nation over the past few decades show up at the bottom of this list. This doesn't mean they don't have any home field edge, but rather that they play just as well on the road as they do at home, so their true advantage is simply not as significant."

Interesting way to calculate home field advantage...
This is precisely my point. Schools like Bama and LSU don't need home field advantages. It doesn't matter where they're at, they win. If you switched Bama's Bryant Denny for Kyle Field, does anyone think the 12th Man is being called out? I get it if you want to crap on the teams efforts through the years. But if home advantage exists at all, Kyle Field is up there with anywhere. The onfield product unfortunately has masked that for a long time.
czar_iv
AG
MaxPower said:

Who picked us to beat OU in 2002? Just win baby. WOOOO!!!!! #ricflair
Winning Saturday would be less of an upset than against that 2002 OU team IMO, but Jimbo needs to change up his personel a little. RC rolled the dice with Reggie and won that day.
"Can I Ask What Exactly Is An Aggie? Sure! An Aggie is quite simply the best thing anyone can strive to be!" - Sydney Colson
90ags
Herbie is not objective when it comes to OSU...don't be blind as it's well known in several circles (know enough alumni who hang with him in the offseason). He over does it in telecasts to not sound biased and objective, but he's loyal to his alma mater and who wouldn't be.
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
rootube
AG
Nobody rocks like... checks teleprompter...College Station! Crowd goes wild!!!!
GumboMaverick
Any press is good press. Once we start winning more with Jimbo - that narrative will change. At least they are talking about A&M.

Bigtime National school - no longer just a school in the big 12 - Bigtime SEC program. Wins will come
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.